SR60-Mod part II
Jul 18, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #586 of 3,353
Jul 18, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #587 of 3,353
I like the way the screen is inlaid like...I always wanted to get that look, how is it achieed??? Is there like a sandwich of wood holding the screen in place or another way???

Jul 18, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #589 of 3,353

Quote:
Some more cup images.  I know how you guys like the pictures.  These cups were part of the first pair of "woodied" Grados that I purchased.  They're obviously a bit smaller than the turned cups were seeing nowadays.  However, I believe these were probably made by a user with a drill press and the edges were sanded to perform the round-over.  I did a little renovation on the finish of the cups to refresh them a bit.  They use standard Grado drivers that have been removed from the Grado cups.  They are held in place by pressure only.  All it takes is a small, single layer of black electrical tape around the plastic rim of the driver housing and one just gently pushes everything into place.  These cups also have the notches in place for the cables, so one doesn't even need to de-solder and re-solder their drivers to get these babies to work.

My thoughts are to probably install my Alessandro MS-1i drivers into these as well as the Mogami cable and Neutrik connector and put 'em up for sale.  It probably should be able to make someone who's interested in coming over to the dark side of the wood to venture into the world without too much coin. Unfortunately, the only flaw is that small area that is dented in on the outer rim of the cup.  I bought the cups this way, so it's been there a while.  However, they are beautiful and would be pretty compact for travel due to the smaller cup size.

Enjoy!  

I might have to jump on this 
biggrin.gif

Jul 18, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #590 of 3,353
Sneak peak of my woody oak SR-60's, just waiting on Qables to deliver my canare starquad and accessories to cable her up and have a working pair of Grados

Jul 18, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #591 of 3,353
I sure hope Wayne is right about the white stuff on the "i"s...

Kojaku

Jul 18, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #592 of 3,353
Have you guys restored paint on Grados before? What have you used? My SR-225 basically has black lettering on it now

Jul 19, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #594 of 3,353
I used one of these when I painted my SR60's and 225's to change the color of the L and R from silver to gold. The lettering on the plastic cup might prove to be a little trickier though.

I'm still curious about branding wooden cups...

Kojaku

Jul 19, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #595 of 3,353

Quote:
I might have to jump on this 
biggrin.gif

Jump, walk, run, crawl, fly, hover, swim ... whatever. 
biggrin.gif
  It's all good.  The shine on the cups is actual.  Those pictures were taken out on my deck this past evening - no flash, macro settings were on to get the detail.  Aside for that little dent, these are quite nice - and, one doesn't give up much bass - if any by going with the smaller wooden cups.

Quote:
I sure hope Wayne is right about the white stuff on the "i"s...

Kojaku

Me too.  
redface.gif
  Actually, do keep in mind that you want to ensure your tip of the iron is tinned with a little solder.  Then, just like a bank heist - you get in and you get out with that iron.  Don't be dragging your heels, or that's where the problems can occur.  
wink.gif

Disclaimer: My reference to crime and a bank robbery was just a metaphore.  I don't condone the use of crime in our society.

Jul 19, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #596 of 3,353
Disclaimer: My reference to crime and a bank robbery was just a metaphore.  I don't condone the use of crime in our society.

[/quote]

And yet, you allowed the crime of roasted drivers ;_; wahwahwah...

Kojaku

Jul 19, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #597 of 3,353
Omg. I just realized something. Is the cable running into each cup any thicker on the 225i's on up? If so...then aren't Cabillas' cups drilled for sr60i-125i cables? I hope I'm wrong...

Kojaku

Jul 19, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #598 of 3,353

Quote:
Omg. I just realized something. Is the cable running into each cup any thicker on the 225i's on up? If so...then aren't Cabillas' cups drilled for sr60i-125i cables? I hope I'm wrong...

Kojaku

if they aren't quite large enough, you can certainly drill them out a bit with no harm done. you're really scared of this diy stuff aren't ya? :D

Jul 19, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #599 of 3,353

Quote:
if they aren't quite large enough, you can certainly drill them out a bit with no harm done. you're really scared of this diy stuff aren't ya? :D

At least he's willing! Better than me...
redface.gif

Kojaku, I think if you mention to Cabillas what kind of wire you'll be getting through the hole with, he  can easily do it for you without harm to destroying the cups... oh wait, they are already on their way
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 19, 2011 at 5:53 AM Post #600 of 3,353
I'm still patiently waiting for Cabillas to send out my cups (been three long weeks), apparently an issue with postal service of Spain.  Was all excited about woodie modding my SR80i, but reading all these posts on damaged drivers got me scared now too.  Is there any reason to not just cut the cable at cup end, liberate and mount drivers in woodie cups, strip wires and then re-solder and heat shrink instead of mucking about on the drivers too much?  I'm thinking of doing this, so if I decide to later do a re-cable I can use the existing solder on drivers just once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back