SR60-Mod part II
Jul 16, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #511 of 3,353

Quote:
Nope, Knell had it right the first time.
wink.gif

Bill, of course you'd say that to defend yourself and your credibility.  Ha!  Also, I didn't hear back from you on PM if you needed the driver or not?

Jul 16, 2011 at 5:45 AM Post #514 of 3,353

Quote:
I finished the other pair! This pair is based on 225i's and OHHH man do they sound sweet!

Absolutely NO driver mod's.

I'm actually relieved to be done, now I can actually LISTEN to music instead of spending every night working on my equipment.

Thanks to everyone on this thread for the ideas, answered questions, etc... and especially Marty for the superior craftsmanship of these cups!!

Oh and I took pictures of the cable mod so I will be putting up a DIY on that and posting the link here (probably later in the weekend)

The entire rig

How is that HeadRoom amp without the preamp? I'm assuming you're using the tubes as a preamp to flavor your music.

I feel bad that HeadRoom amps don't get the exposure they used to because of how saturated the market is, I really liked the micro stack I borrowed from somebody a few years ago. I generally really like their amps and I love the cases.

Jul 16, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #516 of 3,353
Dang your eyes!

(too late
wink.gif
)

Those Grados look awesome! I've got my cups finished and stained, but the gloss didn't really gloss the sides very well, the endgrain is still matte. Maybe a few more cups. Also: Qables has shipped my order, but it still hasn't arrived yet, so through this process I've been Grado-less for about 2 weeks! I'm going through withdraw here! I'm using my dad's Sony V-6's, but I've been listening to some Jazz and been craving the Grado flavor mad-hard!

Jul 16, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #518 of 3,353
I've disassembled my RS2i and the material looks and feels exactly like the puttied up Dynamat that I applied. I even tried my best to match the amount used on the RS2i

I plan on leaving my drivers dead stock... sounds best to my ears

Quote:
Thanks for providing this information.  I guess the question now is, does Grado use an actual Dynamat-like material on the backs of their higher-end headphones?  I know many people have shined a flashlight through the screen to look at the materials, but has anyone removed the drivers and looked at the material Grado uses - or, how they apply it?  The amount they use?

Jul 16, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #519 of 3,353
I use the Headroom Desktop by itself

The leftmost Headroom device is a MicroDAC, its connected to the Little Dot I+

Honestly I prefer the Headroom Desktop, its synergy with Grado's is simply amazing. It was a VERY good investment that will hold me over for a LONG time.

Edit: I know someone is going to ask me why I dont use the Headroom Desktop as a DAC for the Little Dot I+... I used to have the DAC and LD at work, recently brought it all home.

Quote:

How is that HeadRoom amp without the preamp? I'm assuming you're using the tubes as a preamp to flavor your music.

I feel bad that HeadRoom amps don't get the exposure they used to because of how saturated the market is, I really liked the micro stack I borrowed from somebody a few years ago. I generally really like their amps and I love the cases.

Jul 16, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #520 of 3,353
How do you find the I+ with your Grados? 

The reason I ask is because I'm considering either a Little Dot 1+ or Little Dot III right now, but my main headphones are low-impedence so the hybrid set up my be my best shot. However, I've heard mixed reviews on its synergy with Grados and the K701. 

Jul 16, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #521 of 3,353
Its my first amp with tubes, so I don't have much to compare it to.

After allot of tube rolling and opamp rolling, I have found a nice combo for the 225i's however the other Grados don't sound very good with the same config. If I was going to do it all over, I would probably buy the low end Woo Audio 3+. Finding the correct opamp is a major PITA.

Quote:

The reason I ask is because I'm considering either a Little Dot 1+ or Little Dot III right now, but my main headphones are low-impedence so the hybrid set up my be my best shot. However, I've heard mixed reviews on its synergy with Grados and the K701. 

Jul 16, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #522 of 3,353

Look into the cavalli cth. I can't give it enough praise. It cost more than the ldi but there's probably a reason.

Jul 16, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #523 of 3,353

Quote:
I've disassembled my RS2i and the material looks and feels exactly like the puttied up Dynamat that I applied. I even tried my best to match the amount used on the RS2i

I plan on leaving my drivers dead stock... sounds best to my ears

Thanks for the information on the Dynamat (or similar material) used on the RS-2i.  I did remove my blob from my MS-1i headphones and sounded much more open - better dynamics on the high end and the mid-range seemed less muddied --- I believe that's what I was hearing and not just because it was mentioned here. I then applied a very small amount (thin) strip on the back of the driver.  The dynamics are still there, some - slight - bass improvement.  I'll probably remain right there.  This is one of those situations where "more is not always better".  

I just finished this same issue with my house and the attic fan that I replaced.  They have 3 levels - designed for different sized attics, based on square footage levels.  However, the boxes are labeled: Good, Better, Best.  What did I buy - the on that said "Best" on it because I got sucked into the marketing and thought I was getting the "Best".  However, after having some issues and calling warranty support, they're sending me out the right one for my attic, based on square footage which is the "Good" model.  Go figure.

Jul 16, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #524 of 3,353

Quote:
Its my first amp with tubes, so I don't have much to compare it to.

After allot of tube rolling and opamp rolling, I have found a nice combo for the 225i's however the other Grados don't sound very good with the same config. If I was going to do it all over, I would probably buy the low end Woo Audio 3+. Finding the correct opamp is a major PITA.

Okay, thanks for the information. I was originally looking into a Schiit Lyr, but seeing that the Little Dot ones are half the price, I could put the money I'd save toward other manner of gear.

Quote:
Look into the cavalli cth. I can't give it enough praise. It cost more than the ldi but there's probably a reason.

Nice. I just read a bit up on it and it seems to be a nice amp. The DIY nature of it is a bit intimidating, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick this up as my next project. Thanks for the rec.

Jul 17, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #525 of 3,353
So uhm, back to the soldering issue really quick. Is it safer to reuse the old solder? Or to replace it? Also, anyone got impressions on the NuForce Icon Mobile? I want a portable amp/DAC with warm, clean sound. Does this fit the bill?

Kojaku

Users who are viewing this thread

Back