SR60-Mod part II
Jul 15, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #496 of 3,353
I had only applied some Dynamat to the back of the drivers... I just removed the Dynamat and I'd swear that sound better without it, much less congested on the exact same song... same volume...

Jul 15, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #498 of 3,353

Quote:
I had only applied some Dynamat to the back of the drivers... I just removed the Dynamat and I'd swear that sound better without it, much less congested on the exact same song... same volume...

Dont tell me that, I just ordered some dynamat xtreme
confused_face.gif

Jul 15, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #499 of 3,353

Quote:

Yes, I felt this way too. When I first put it on, it seemed like it took away some of the sparkle and smoothed out the sound a bit too much for my liking. As of right now, I have a very tiny thin amount on it, which I don't think makes a difference. I figured I'd at least use it because i bought so much Dynamat and don't know what to do with it. 

Quote:
Dont tell me that, I just ordered some dynamat xtreme
confused_face.gif

Any way you can return it? I bought a bunch of it, and would happy to send you some for free. 

Jul 15, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #501 of 3,353

Quote:

From the sound of Marty's custom SR-325i Grados that I have at the moment, they are actually producing some of the most delicious bass I've heard (aside from the MS Pros); yet, Marty's headphones don't feature any driver modifications.

I wishh I would have seen that pic a week ago. That could have solved this problem.

Anyway, lot's of things going on. I sent those iGrado drivers off too this guy aka Big Bill

So we'll see what he comes up with
tongue_smile.gif

As far as how that felt ring effects the sound it could be a very good thing. Not all resonance is necessarilly good resonance. It's possible the felt provides dampening against vibrational resonance and isolates the resonance created more from the sound waves. Marty has toyeed with a T50 a lot so he may be a mad sound scientist too, in addition to his mad wood working skillz. I'm thinking about commisioning him to make a T50 for me. Then again it might be more fun to get one and just start tinkering with it. I've been thinking about that headphone for a year, saw Marty's and started drooling, then I read a thought in another post that really got me to thinking about them again.

Arrrrgggh
confused_face(1).gif

Jul 15, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #502 of 3,353
I finished the other pair! This pair is based on 225i's and OHHH man do they sound sweet!

Absolutely NO driver mod's.

I'm actually relieved to be done, now I can actually LISTEN to music instead of spending every night working on my equipment.

Thanks to everyone on this thread for the ideas, answered questions, etc... and especially Marty for the superior craftsmanship of these cups!!

Oh and I took pictures of the cable mod so I will be putting up a DIY on that and posting the link here (probably later in the weekend)

"The Duo"

The entire rig

Jul 15, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #505 of 3,353
Jul 15, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #506 of 3,353
What I'd do for money for an mkII right now...

Kojaku

Jul 16, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #509 of 3,353

Quote:

Thanks for providing this information.  I guess the question now is, does Grado use an actual Dynamat-like material on the backs of their higher-end headphones?  I know many people have shined a flashlight through the screen to look at the materials, but has anyone removed the drivers and looked at the material Grado uses - or, how they apply it?  The amount they use?

I remember reading some responses a few nights back and one member indicated that he/she used a pea-sized amount of Dynamat on the back of the drivers.  I don't recall what the impressions were on how the sound turned out, but I was going to comment that my drivers had about 3-peas worth of material formed in an hour-glass shape on the back of each driver, so the vent holes were exposed.  Now, this has me thinking about my MS-1i headphones.  For some reason, they don't see as articulate as I'd like.  I wonder if the Dynamat is getting in the way of the sound?  Or, maybe Dynamat is only good for the higher-end drivers (RS-1i and up) ... just like punching holes in the backs of the higher-end drivers ends up hurting the sound in major ways unlike the drivers from the lower SR series.   So many decisions to review ....

Jul 16, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #510 of 3,353

Quote:
Originally Posted by markkr /img/forum/go_quote.gif

After I got a pair of Cocobolo cups that actually fit my drivers "snugly" I observed the same thing and removed the Dynamat from my drivers as well. For those who haven't liberated their drivers I still think Dyanamt is a "must do" in order to remove the "plastic sound" if you will.

Quote:

Are you sure that was the right move?  No offense to Big Bill, but I thought this guy was the one with all the answers and 1.21 Gigawatts!   
biggrin.gif

wink.gif

Nope, Knell had it right the first time.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back