SR60-Mod part II
Jul 13, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #451 of 3,353
Haha, thanks. I just liked the more open screen.. different strokes... different folks...

What do you think of the cable? should I cover up the colored wire with black nylon?

and should I replace the Grado plug with a Neutrik? (1/4")

Quote:

You haven't offended Marty, but you've offended me.  I love that tight screen that Marty uses.  I have the looser version like you've utilized, but that tight stuff is excellent, too.

Oh, by the way ... your work so far is looking very nice.
wink.gif

Jul 13, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #452 of 3,353

Quote:
and should I replace the Grado plug with a Neutrik? (1/4")

No real comment on covering the cable - that is sort of a user preference.  However, I'm starting to form an opinion on Neutrik 1/4" plugs.  I'm at the point where I have mixed feelings about them at the moment.  They seem to fit slightly different into some 1/4" female applications than other (stock) 1/4" plugs that I've utilized.  I've had to jiggle the Neutrik connector at times to get a solid connection on my Onkyo receiver.  I've also had some issues with the Neutrik plugs and my headphone extension cord from the Guitar Center.  However, placing a Neutrik plug into a 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter, doesn't seem to have any issues.  Go figure.  I'm not sure what to say at this point because I love the Neutrik quality and how one assembles the cable connector - it's a very solid process.

Jul 13, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #453 of 3,353
Hey guys,

Since I have nothing to do with myself, since my cups *cough cough* aren't here yet, I was wondering if anyone was particularly knowledgable about leather around here. I made a brown lambskin leather headband and I love the feel and color, but I think I'd like it to have a slight shine, like the leather you see on standard 325's and up. Can you treat lambskin with something to make it shiny? Anyone?

Kojaku

Jul 13, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #454 of 3,353

Quote:
Hey guys,

Since I have nothing to do with myself, since my cups *cough cough* aren't here yet, I was wondering if anyone was particularly knowledgable about leather around here. I made a brown lambskin leather headband and I love the feel and color, but I think I'd like it to have a slight shine, like the leather you see on standard 325's and up. Can you treat lambskin with something to make it shiny? Anyone?

Kojaku

To answer  your 2 questions:

1) Don't come here looking for pity, because I offered to send you a new set of cups that you would probably be receiving tomorrow.  
biggrin.gif

2) Yes, you can make leather a bit more shiny.  Spit polish worked well with my boots while I was in the military.  However, you can buy a polishing foam block for shoes at Walmart for about $3.00.  Just apply that to your leather band and it should give you more of a sheen.  Or, buy a small can of neutral shoe polish and apply it with a cotton T-shirt and your forefinger.  Work it well into the leather.  Then, let it sit for about 20 minutes.  Get out a horse hair brush designed for shining shoes and go back and forth over the leather.  Finally, using a nylon sock, polish the surface of the leather.  Repeat the polish, drying, buffing process about a dozen times and your band should look pretty spiffy.

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #455 of 3,353

To answer  your 2 questions:

1) Don't come here looking for pity, because I offered to send you a new set of cups that you would probably be receiving tomorrow.  
biggrin.gif

2) Yes, you can make leather a bit more shiny.  Spit polish worked well with my boots while I was in the military.  However, you can buy a polishing foam block for shoes at Walmart for about $3.00.  Just apply that to your leather band and it should give you more of a sheen.  Or, buy a small can of neutral shoe polish and apply it with a cotton T-shirt and your forefinger.  Work it well into the leather.  Then, let it sit for about 20 minutes.  Get out a horse hair brush designed for shining shoes and go back and forth over the leather.  Finally, using a nylon sock, polish the surface of the leather.  Repeat the polish, drying, buffing process about a dozen times and your band should look pretty spiffy.

Oh, I wasn't Looking for pity...you saw my situation...parental non-compliance with headphone modification. In any case, I'll see what I can do about the treatment...hopefully it turns out swell. I'll post pics:)

Kojaku

Jul 14, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #459 of 3,353

Quote:
I'm finally getting to work on my Marty Cups... Hopefully Marty isn't offended, but I removed his screens and added some of my own, painted black. I also applied Teak Oil to both cups to bring up the color a bit. The cable is the stock 325 cable, modded a little.

edit: this is just a mockup... that's why the cable is running under the bowls

Not sure if I can post this or not.  But, dude, no offense at all.   Your cable job and screens look awesome.  Very nice indeed.  That cable braiding is sick man.  And the color of the cups is so amazing after you applied the teak oil  +1

Jul 14, 2011 at 5:29 AM Post #460 of 3,353
I have a spare sheet of copper mesh, looks pretty nice.

Shoot me a PM if you want it. UK guys can have it for free, US/EU guys can cover the postage cost (Should only be a few dollars/Euros)

There is enough to do at least one set of headphones.

Jul 14, 2011 at 5:39 AM Post #461 of 3,353
That's very generous Carlos. I'm sure someone will put it to good use.

Just be sure to bind the guy you send the stuff out to, to post "after" pics on the forum
tongue.gif

Jul 14, 2011 at 5:41 AM Post #462 of 3,353

Quote:
I'm finally getting to work on my Marty Cups... Hopefully Marty isn't offended, but I removed his screens and added some of my own, painted black. I also applied Teak Oil to both cups to bring up the color a bit. The cable is the stock 325 cable, modded a little.

edit: this is just a mockup... that's why the cable is running under the bowls

As marty said, that looks mighty fine! Is the cable stiff though? Four-connector braid to each side.. sounds like the exact opposite of pliable. The braid is fantastic though, looks real tight.

Also, did anyone notice the alu-wood combo he had sitting on the top right.. WJE, I believe people are catching on way faster than you might expect :)

Jul 14, 2011 at 5:50 AM Post #463 of 3,353

Quote:
Just be sure to bind the guy you send the stuff out to, to post "after" pics on the forum
tongue.gif

It'll be a prerequisite of the deal :xf_eek:)

Jul 14, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #465 of 3,353

Quote:
I have a spare sheet of copper mesh, looks pretty nice.

Shoot me a PM if you want it. UK guys can have it for free, US/EU guys can cover the postage cost (Should only be a few dollars/Euros)

There is enough to do at least one set of headphones.

Wow .... that's a nice deal for someone.  The mesh looks nice.  I think Grado / Alessandro use either a copper or brass mesh (probably brass) to prevent them from ever corroding.  I've seen some of the higher end Grados where some of the paint has worn down a bit and it's definately a brassy color to the mesh they use.  Not that aluminum screen like us po' folk. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back