SR225i or FA-003?
Nov 12, 2010 at 7:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ahmadmfz

100+ Head-Fier
Hello guys :)

This is my first thread :O

Okay back on topic, i've been researching on what headphones should i get for my home rig.
I've researched quite abit, and i'm down between the SR225i and FA-003.

Hmm, my main music genres are metal, classical, old rock, and some jazz :) pop in a bit of funk in too.

So.. here is my sound preference.
I'm currently using the earsonics SM3, and i'm looking for something that is similar in signature.

1. Tight, controlled yet impactful bass. It must not be too overpowering.
I consider the SM3 to be the right amount.
Sorry i can't put some reference headphones for comparisons.

1. For the mids, i want it to be lush and smooth, with a good amount of detail.
Either neutral or mid-forward. Never recessed or overpowering.

1. Highs must have great clarity and abit sparkly.
However, it should not be sibilant.

1. I'd like a big soundstage so that the music won't make me feel very cramped.
Seperation must be very very good too, cause i'd like to differentiate my music.

1. And ofcourse, it must be fast too.
Never liked slow, bloaty headphones or earphones.

Source components would be as such:

FLAC> DIYmod> P3 Heron> headphones.

And when i can afford it..

FLAC> Laptop> Audinst HUD-MX1> headphones.

Almost forgot to mention,i don't mind it being open or closed, though closed is preferred as i'm not alone in the house and wouldn't want to irritate my parents or sinblings.

I would also use the headphones in the future for mixing and stuffs cause i'm most likely goign to pursue a a diploma in audio visual technologies.

My budget is around >SGD$250.

I guess that pretty sums up everything. Haha.
If you guys got any other recommendations, do suggest!

All replies deeply appreciated. :)

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #2 of 9
just saw your post, hmmmm....i would go for the FA-003 ..listening to one now.
very/super comfortable and light on the head doesnt get hot, good soundstage, doesnt feel like a closed can at all,
fast, extended highs with a little brightness but not sibliant, tight bass without the bloat, abit warm n forward mids.
sense of realism for vocals. overall balance signature.. seperation is great, tested it out with the ultrasone test cd..
its as good as the hfi780 in terms of realism in the waves/rain/firecracker imaging. 
And best of all, its almost near your budget..or get one in the resale market in singapore.

cheers!

Jan 31, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
just saw your post, hmmmm....i would go for the FA-003 ..listening to one now.
very/super comfortable and light on the head doesnt get hot, good soundstage, doesnt feel like a closed can at all,
fast, extended highs with a little brightness but not sibliant, tight bass without the bloat, abit warm n forward mids.
sense of realism for vocals. overall balance signature.. seperation is great, tested it out with the ultrasone test cd..
its as good as the hfi780 in terms of realism in the waves/rain/firecracker imaging. 
And best of all, its almost near your budget..or get one in the resale market in singapore.

cheers!

HELLO!! omg this thread is so old hahaha. Thank you for your input :) will get them as soon as my wallet allows.

Jan 31, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #4 of 9
And oh!! how does the beyer 880 differ from the fa-003? interested in both hahaha.

Jan 31, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #6 of 9
The Grados will have everything you are looking for except the sound stage. For many this is a compromise they are willing to make for that fantastic Grado sound, for others it is a deal breaker. And the highs can be a little sibilant sometimes, especially if you don't have a warmish system to help keep them in check.

Feb 1, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
The Grados will have everything you are looking for except the sound stage. For many this is a compromise they are willing to make for that fantastic Grado sound, for others it is a deal breaker. And the highs can be a little sibilant sometimes, especially if you don't have a warmish system to help keep them in check.

Hmm, currently i'm leaning more towards the fa-003. Tried my friend's sr225i, and i didn't find the bass to have enough body. Perhaps i'm a semi-basshead? I don't like alot of bass but i appreciate good amounts of bass. haha. Would a ms1k have more bass?

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #8 of 9
There is a quick, easy, free mod you can do to Grados that helps the bass tremendously. If you get them now or in the future, it is totally worth doing. I am not pushing you towards the Grados...I think in this case either headphone you choose will be the right choice. I have a pair of Grados that I am totally in love with. I also just ordered a pair of FA-002w's, so I will have both Grados and Fishers in a few weeks. If you end up with the Fishers now you can always pick up a cheap SR60/80 used later.

Feb 2, 2011 at 8:08 AM Post #9 of 9
HEY! Just grabbed a cheap pair of sr80s. Saw the grado thread, will attempt the punch hole mod soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back