SR009 / WES / BHSE / LL hit the mainstream
Nov 16, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #406 of 594
Quote:
Unrelated gilency, I like your avatar, your own shot?

I wish. I may be going to Germany next year. Not sure yet.
But my dream is to go to the Bach festival in Leipzig and attend as many concerts as possible. No date on that one yet,
Of course, it is a picture of the Thomaskirche.

Nov 17, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #407 of 594
The thing I like about spritzer are his views about audio equipment, if he wasn't so candid people like me would probably be buying anything out there, but I'm pleased to say I now have the BHSE after reading a post Birgir did on it and I'm immensely happy with that amp in every way.

Some will probably feel he goes OTT with his views on certain equipment, but IMO such views are essential, especially for the likes of me.

Nov 17, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #408 of 594
Quote:
The thing I like about spritzer are his views about audio equipment, if he wasn't so candid people like me would probably be buying anything out there, but I'm pleased to say I now have the BHSE after reading a post Birgir did on it and I'm immensely happy with that amp in every way.

Some will probably feel he goes OTT with his views on certain equipment, but IMO such views are essential, especially for the likes of me.

I totally agree with this, he’s an asset to the community. 

Dec 7, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #410 of 594
Quote:

Does this mean that you heard the LL at Can Jam and preferred the BHSE?  If so, can you describe why?

Two of us here have a BHSE and a LL. We cannot tell them apart on sound grounds*. And that is sighted. If anyone can distinguish to a statistically significant level in a blind test I would be impressed. But for me it does not matter as I hear no difference. I just enjoy the music.

*one of us likes to BHSE looks, the other likes the LL looks

Dec 7, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #411 of 594
Two of us here have a BHSE and a LL. We cannot tell them apart on sound grounds*. And that is sighted. If anyone can distinguish to a statistically significant level in a blind test I would be impressed. But for me it does not matter as I hear no difference. I just enjoy the music.

*one of us likes to BHSE looks, the other likes the LL looks
How much time was given to warm up prior to the blind tests??

Dec 7, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #412 of 594
I have to admit surprise to this one.  Both sides of the fence are pretty firm on their ground plus the AVguide review of both and is pretty definitive for sure.

Dec 8, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #413 of 594
It's audiophilia- everything is blown out of proportion.  Minute differences become something you "can't live with," and differences that aren't there cause flame wars that burn everything in their path, fanned ever brighter by the winds of dissent that stem from people not being able to disassociate themselves from the gear they like.  These fires are never truly gone - they continue to erupt into spontaneous brush fires months later with little to no provocation, as people take it as a personal affront when someone else doesn't like what they like.  

If something was definitive, it would be in the Dictionary.

Dec 9, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #414 of 594
Quote:

I believe IanG is referring to my BHSE when we listened to both it and his LL, but I must make it clear, we weren't doing a test. Ian is just suggesting that if someone wanted to do a proper comparison test then it should be blind.
At the end of the day, Ian likes his LL and I like my BHSE.

Dec 9, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #415 of 594
Quote:

We did not test blind.

We gave plenty of warm up time.

What I would like to see is a supervised double blind test to ascertain whether those who claim material differences really can hear them, to a statistically significant degree. In the end these tests never happen, be it BHSE v LL or, on other fora, power amp A v power amp B.

For us, it does not matter anyway because we cannot hear them apart. We think they are both great.

For a few others, it might matter and I'd like to see it proved under rigorous conditions. (I understand the limitations of double blind tests and understand that the outcome would not close the debate - but it would contribute to it.)

And then there are others who want the differences to be there, illusory or otherwise, to validate their own purchase, or to provide ammunition to criticise the purchases of others, or to provide fodder for a kind of "tabloid debate" on audio fora - this latter reason being why I very rarely visit this forum any more.

Dec 9, 2012 at 4:43 AM Post #416 of 594
Quote:

I believe IanG is referring to my BHSE when we listened to both it and his LL, but I must make it clear, we weren't doing a test. Ian is just suggesting that if someone wanted to do a proper comparison test then it should be blind.
The time we listened to both amps with my SR-009 and his SR-007, both amps weren't on that long so they didn't have time to warm up. I've learnt since that the BHSE transforms into a different amp after it's warmed up which I feel to warm up properly takes around an hour. You'll have to ask Ian if the LL sounds any different when warm.

But, by the end of the evening's listening they had been on for well over two hours.

And, on a general point. if one has to wait such a long time for an amplifier to stabilise - whether it be the BHSE or the LL - then that must raise the question of whether one wants to buy it or is happy to leave it on all the time.

(... if I was driving the 160 miles from here to London (three hours) and I felt that the performance of the car was transformed only after one hour I'd be less than impressed.)

Of course, this perceived change in sound cited by some listeners after a long warm up could be a technical amplifier thing (which I would say is a design shortcoming) or a human thing (namely that we, ourselves, warm up). The first issue can be tested objectively to some degree but my bet is that that won't happen here. Maybe there is some research into the second issue that anyone sufficiently knowledgeable can throw some light on.   

Why don't we simply say what we think with all the irrational reasons that go with it. Namely, for example, that I prefer the LL to the BHSE. I am glad I bought it. David prefers the BHSE to the LL. He is glad he bought it. I'm not going to criticise Dave for his purchase and he is not going to criticise me for mine.

I guess the arguments will continue. I might dip in to read them if I come back here once a month!

Dec 9, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #417 of 594
I guess the only problem with the BHSE is it does sound much better after it's been warmed up which take roughly an hour, meaning having to wait that time for it to happen, which is one of the reasons why I've order the GS-X because I'm not sure, but I don't think that amp needs warming up. Another reason is because I want my audio equipment to look a certain way and I feel when I have it all together, to me it'll look very pleasing. 

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #418 of 594
The BHSE is beautiful for sure to my eyes as well.  Also to be able to get the color of face plates is way cool.  Did you see the Purple one in the thread?  Made from photographic legerdemain but as I recall Justin said it would be possible.  The Blue is really nice too.

Dec 9, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #419 of 594
Quote:
The BHSE is beautiful for sure to my eyes as well.  Also to be able to get the color of face plates is way cool.  Did you see the Purple one in the thread?  Made from photographic legerdemain but as I recall Justin said it would be possible.  The Blue is really nice too.

I have seen the purple BHSE you refer to, but for the faceplates, silver is the only colour I'd have in audio equipment. I do very much like matt black enclosures though.

When I have the two amps I've ordered, I'll have seven units on my audio rack all having silver faceplates and matt black enclosures , along with my source which is all silver.

Dec 9, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #420 of 594
Quote:

I have seen the purple BHSE you refer to, but for the faceplates, silver is the only colour I'd have in audio equipment. I do very much like matt black enclosures though.

When I have the two amps I've ordered, I'll have seven units on my audio rack all having silver faceplates and matt black enclosures , along with my source which is all silver.

Sweet!  Got to look beautiful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back