SR-009 vs Orpheus/SR-Omega/O2s?
Sep 25, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #46 of 191
I would agree with you only if you take his review out of context. At the beginning of the article, the following is explicitly stated:

QUOTE:
"Splitting Hairs
I need to preface this article with the observation that these are all great headphones. In this article, I'm testing these cans in a comparative manner. If you're not careful you might walk away thinking there's more difference between these cans than I actually heard. In the end, these headphones are all very, very good, which means the differences between them are actually relatively small."
END QUOTE

Thus, the comments in the article in regards to the OII MK I are in relative comparison to the other cans, not in regards to the cans overall performance in the grand scheme of things. 
Simple example: take two shirts, green shirt is 95% wet, red shirt is 90% wet. Is it accurate to say that the red shirt is DRIER than the green shirt? Yes. Does that make the red shirt DRY? No. It's a relative comparison. Keep that in mind.

Sep 25, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #48 of 191
I knew someone would try and revert to the splitting hairs comment but that is bs in my opinion to make it ok to basically trash talk one headphone just to make another sound better. Nice try!

Sep 25, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #49 of 191
Trash talk? Are we even reading the same article? Also, how many of those cans have you heard? I personally haven't listened to all of those, so the comparison does serve its purpose as a tool (a tool, not an end-all solution) to see what options I may take on any future endeavors.I don't see any problem with the article as long as you take everything in context.

Sep 25, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #50 of 191
Personally, I find the OII, whatever flavor, quite worthy of a drag through the mud. Even through a BH. Tyll always has, iirc, disliked the OII, and extended that to a general dislike of electrostats in general... til now. Hence why "the mafia" suggested he take another listen - with quite predictable results

Note also my opinion is not in relation to any other headphone, as I have listened to about 10 different pair of OII, and nothing has changed. here is a quote that I always think of when referring to the OII 

Maybe an analogy fits here:

" I am tired of chicks telling me they are hot, and me being bored enough to agree."

Except, not all of us are that bored.

Sep 25, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #51 of 191
Quote:
I knew someone would try and revert to the splitting hairs comment but that is bs in my opinion to make it ok to basically trash talk one headphone just to make another sound better. Nice try!

I don't think Tyll necessarily trashed the O2mk1, he also pointed out the major weaknesses of the HD800, LCD2r1, HE500, and HE6 too. I mean at this level, what do you want him to say? That they are all excellent and that the differences are so minor that they are not worth mentioning? Most people who play in this range know exactly what they want. Tyll's remarks are probably intended for that audience.

The 009s are of one two headphones I've heard with with what I would consider a linear frequency response without any appreciable ringing (the other being the ESP950.) However the 009 adds more extension on both ends, more slam, and much more resolving power. Tyll's minor criticism of the 009's slight emphasis on upper mids/lower treble is spot-on too. But that's truly it. The 009s are indeed the best headphones on the planet.

Sep 25, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #52 of 191

Quote:
Thus, the comments in the article in regards to the OII MK I are in relative comparison to the other cans, not in regards to the cans overall performance in the grand scheme of things. 
Simple example: take two shirts, green shirt is 95% wet, red shirt is 90% wet. Is it accurate to say that the red shirt is DRIER than the green shirt? Yes. Does that make the red shirt DRY? No. It's a relative comparison. Keep that in mind.

The problem is that at least some of his impressions are stated using absolute rather than relative terms. In particular, it's strange that he finds the SR-007 mk1 somewhat veiled or muffled. Also the comments about the lack of attack in the highs and the lack of treble impact don't seem quite right unless everything he says is implicitly relative to the SR-009 even when he states it in absolute terms.

Sep 25, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #54 of 191
I have no problem with his statements in absolute terms. Some of us simply do not like, at all, the OII.

Sep 25, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #55 of 191
The idea that the O2 MKI was ideal and that Stax screwed up later versions has been so strongly railroaded into common belief that it doesn't surprise me that people resist criticism. Noting that the best 'stat amp I've had working here was a 717, I didn't miss the O2 MKI/717 rig I borrowed when I handed it back as I was happy with the LCD-2s (though I missed the better FR response in the mids and treble of the O2 MKI). The times I did borrow the O2s they didn't do enough for me to keep me going back to either TOTL dynamic cans or my LNS, which had better overall balance, if less detail. I might put this down to them simply needing a BH-calibre amp to shine.

The 009s, on the other hand, have surprised me by being excellent, even in the bass, compared to the LCD-2 r2s, even with an amp that is arguably technically inferior to the one I use for the LCD-2s.

Sep 26, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #56 of 191
x2 on all the recent comments:
- the O2 - regardless of the version and amp - is not perfect, the 009 either
- until your hear something better, it's sometimes hard to imagine things could be improved. The 007 being pitted against other top shelf units, esp. the 009, is bound to yield criticism. At least for me, there 's absolutely no going back to the 007, if only for bad recordings.
- if you cannot take reviews that are not sugar coated, best is to stick with sponsored websites / magazines and other fanboys comments.
- I hope this reaction of disgust is not because you can't afford a 009 or find it unreasonably expensive?

Sep 26, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #57 of 191
Why are you trying to make it out that I have some kind of problem with the 009? I would certainly say you are an 009 fanboy and the same with the guy in the reviews video. He sure looked like a kid in the candy store with the 009 by the end of the video. I have read some things on the forums here even from you about the 009 that were not mentioned in the review that makes me think it may be sugar coated. It could also be that some of the negatives I heard about the 009 are not present on a high level amp like the BHSE. I read another member mention the 009 doesn't have as much bass impact as the 007. So at the moment I just don't know what to think of the review.

Sep 26, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #58 of 191
@jaycalgary - your skepticism of the reviews is healthy. If "you don't know what to think", then I suggest that you get to know some of the members here, read what they've had to say in the past, find out what equipment they own or have owned, and what their musical tastes are. Also, I highly recommend going to meets or organizing your own to accelerate this process, as well as to actually experience first hand the equipment being talked about here. By doing this, you can calibrate your own tastes (and establish a level of trustworthiness) to that of someone who has similar views. 

But I am wondering if you have experience with any of the above headphones in this thread? I guess what I'm saying is that by bitching about Jude's, Tyll's, or other people's impressions on the headphones mentioned in this thread, you don't appear to be providing any value.

Sep 26, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #59 of 191
Lamba Pro, Lambda Sigs, Sigma Pro, 407, diy Sigma's Pro and 407 and currently using O2/mk1. I never said anything about Jude's review. I thought it was a lot more fair and professional than this one. Please stop twisted words and phrases for arguments sake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back