SR-009 vs Orpheus/SR-Omega/O2s?
Sep 26, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #76 of 191
Guys, unfortunately I don't have a BHSE anymore.  I traded it for an Ultrasone Edition 10.

Kidding of course :wink:

Sep 27, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #78 of 191

Quote:
spritzer, what do you think about the prospects of the 009 with a Stax tube amp? Like the T1 family, including the 006/007 or SRM-600

I don't have one on hand to compare but I'll see if I can source one to compare.  Based on past experience I'd say the warm and full sound wouldn't be a bad thing for the 009. 

Sep 28, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #79 of 191
I have the 007t here (with Herbies tube dampers which increase the bass response noticeably) and I'm liking the combo with the 009s very much.

Sep 28, 2011 at 7:24 AM Post #81 of 191

Quote:
Don't say that... makes me more interested in the SR-009s and I can't afford them :frowning2:

You'll be less pleased to hear that, despite people asking me for feedback on dynamic headphone-related things, I am now smitten with the resolution of the 009s, and even the LCD-2s aren't as resolving. 

You know the saying...

Oct 2, 2011 at 5:13 AM Post #86 of 191
I agree the SR-009 are not a great match on the BHSE at loud volumes. To revealing.   Of course- a warm source may be an option without the need to change the amp.  I also want to try to replace my 6ca7's with some SED EL34- that may just do the trick.  It is a matter of balance.

Oct 2, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #87 of 191
Well- Just tried that- not to my taste-  The soundstage just collapses using any El34 tube compared to the GE 6ca7.   Sound sounds muffled also.  Could need time to acclimate- but I don't think its going to work for me.

I find using the tube preamp in my dac softened up those sharp edges at louder volumes on the SR-009.  I just up the volume on the BHSE to MAX and use the tube preamp to attenuate- that may be just what I need to make a perfect balance.

I need a few days to give it a try- but the balance is getting close to perfect.

Oct 2, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #89 of 191

Quote:
I find using the tube preamp in my dac softened up those sharp edges at louder volumes on the SR-009

Quote:
I agree the SR-009 are not a great match on the BHSE at loud volumes. To revealing.

Quote:
They shred my ears at high volume - too harsh. The SRM-727 makes them somewhat tolerable at high volume - not as harsh as the other amps that I tried (KGSS, 323S, 007t). I haven't tried the BHSE.

whenever you have a very high resolution transducer it does ask alot from the whole signal chain and particularly your sources. even cables and power cables can be an issue. your power grid can be an issue. high resolution with high SPL's can become in your face.

also; there are issues of how individuals vary in how they deal with high frequency performance.

i won't have my 009's till later this week, and i won't have my BHSE for maybe a month or so, but i'll be surprised if the 009/BHSE combo does not handle higher SPL's just fine. and it's also possible i'll be surprised.

Oct 2, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #90 of 191
I don't see the point in blasting it louder than you'll ever listen.  The issue is purely related to frequency response anyways.  Tyll's measurements have shown that distortion remains low at high SPLs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back