SR-009 vs Orpheus/SR-Omega/O2s?
Sep 26, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #61 of 191
Quote:
The idea that the O2 MKI was ideal and that Stax screwed up later versions has been so strongly railroaded into common belief that it doesn't surprise me that people resist criticism.

I've noticed the rather dogmatic language people use when comparing the MK1 vs MK2, but even the most strident critics of the MK2 would regularly preface their comments that the difference between the MK1 and MK2 are fairly small, especially if you're not actively looking for the difference or if you're not as critical a listener.  I think a lot of people lose sight that, at the $1k+ range, most of the popular headphones do at least a few things very, very well, and that there isn't a perfect headphone.

In spite of the downsides of people strongly latching onto others' opinions, the high-end headphone review arena would be a lot more boring if they read like standard professional audiophile reviews of high-end DACs and amps.  I ran across a high-end DAC mad libs template which reads like every review out of The Absolute Sound and 6moons.

I'm glad to be hearing more positive reviews about the bass on the SR009s.  I was worried that the SR007 would be better at bass while the SR009 would have better detail/clarity.  There's been criticism about the SR009 with metal at high volume, but I don't listen to music terribly loud, so maybe it won't be too much of a big deal.  It's a bit strange how my SR007A does sound a bit muddy with certain recordings, but others sound exceptionally clear, so maybe the SR007 series doesn't do that well with recordings mastered a particular way.  It's a bit puzzling to me how some rock recordings can sound phenomenal (Muse, Porcupine Tree), while others, muddy and grainy (Killswitch Engage, Marilyn Manson, RHCP).  It's bad enough that I just don't like listening to some of my favorite artists on the SR007A, and I hope the SR009 fixes that.

Sep 26, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #62 of 191
I had some SR-007mk1's driven by the SRM-007t and felt there was a kind of veil over the headphones stopping all the music coming out, l'm guessing the Stax amp had a lot to do with that but when l get the SR-009's l'm hoping that veiled affect won't be a problem.

Sep 26, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #63 of 191
i am not big of stats. i prefer the 010,r10 or even ps-1000! i don't like magenepans or martin logans either. i can listen to my apogee's(speakers) or he90 only so long before i am not so impressed. as is always said everyone is different. listen to them and get the ones you like. my bother is just the opposite. he cannot stand to listen to my beloved dynamic loudspeakers and headphones.

Sep 26, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #64 of 191
Why are you trying to make it out that I have some kind of problem with the 009? I would certainly say you are an 009 fanboy and the same with the guy in the reviews video. He sure looked like a kid in the candy store with the 009 by the end of the video. I have read some things on the forums here even from you about the 009 that were not mentioned in the review that makes me think it may be sugar coated. It could also be that some of the negatives I heard about the 009 are not present on a high level amp like the BHSE. I read another member mention the 009 doesn't have as much bass impact as the 007. So at the moment I just don't know what to think of the review.

Guilty as charged on the count of fanboyism, hence my recommendation to appreciate the more neutral opinion of a reviewer like Tyll. He's not subject to eiher sponsor pressure or syndrom of justification of purchase. You could argue he's trying not to deceive the people who gathered stax gear for him, but I think he is not afraid to state his true feelings and has clearly expressed his disregards for Stax in the past.

By the way, he's not just "that guy on the video". Look it up, Tyll was probably already working on reshaping the world of headphone audio when you were in your diapers. As Marv said, do some background reading before throwing stuff out there.

Sep 26, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #65 of 191
Speaking of harshness: The 009s are shocking if you have ANYTHING wrong in your system. Case in point: My digital set up is MacBook Pro -> USB Isolator (with Audio-gd DI power supply) -> Audiophilleo 1 -> DAC. I found that if the PSU is powered off and on again, the USB Isolator draws power from the computer's USB ports instead, so I have to pull out and put back in the USB plug from my computer for it to work properly again. If I don't, there is a subtle, but apparent harshness in the music.

I had a similar experience taking the 009/007t rig around to a friend's place, where he has a Marantz Project D-1. He is using a cheap M-Audio thing as a transport, and I could clearly hear the same digital issues I had in my own DAC before I was using the Audiophilleo. Now all things considering I could be smoking big ones here, as it is not as if I was doing a side-by-side A/B comparison, but I spent so much time hunting down a feeling that something was "not right" that I've become used to spotting the artefacts in playback that were connected to my transport. Excepting bad recordings/remastering there is no fatigue listening now that I felt there was before.

As for Tyll, I think he is incredibly well-reasoned in his opinions. He always explains where he is coming from. Something interesting that came up after his review was from Spritzer regarding listening volume. As this will significantly affect the sound, if not as much as the type of music being listened to, it can go a long way to explaining some people's impressions of different headphones. The general thought is that the 007s may be better at louder volumes, and the 009s at quieter ones. It is another thing to take into account when reading and commenting, that's for sure.

Sep 26, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #66 of 191
Hey Currawong

What type drives store your tracks and is it USB out from MBP or optical out?
I had computer interference of sorts also but none now that my tracks are on an external SATA drive connected back to my MBP via eSATA card.  Also, I use optical out into my Grace M903.  I will shortly use a pair of Nordost RCAs from the Grace into my new Stax SRM007TA II to power those SR-009.  (ETA on the STAX maybe today!!!!!!!)

I also power all equipment with APC batteries.  Yeah i know, really cheap but sounds better than straight CON EDISON.

Paul

Quote:
Speaking of harshness: The 009s are shocking if you have ANYTHING wrong in your system. Case in point: My digital set up is MacBook Pro -> USB Isolator (with Audio-gd DI power supply) -> Audiophilleo 1 -> DAC. I found that if the PSU is powered off and on again, the USB Isolator draws power from the computer's USB ports instead, so I have to pull out and put back in the USB plug from my computer for it to work properly again. If I don't, there is a subtle, but apparent harshness in the music.

I had a similar experience taking the 009/007t rig around to a friend's place, where he has a Marantz Project D-1. He is using a cheap M-Audio thing as a transport, and I could clearly hear the same digital issues I had in my own DAC before I was using the Audiophilleo. Now all things considering I could be smoking big ones here, as it is not as if I was doing a side-by-side A/B comparison, but I spent so much time hunting down a feeling that something was "not right" that I've become used to spotting the artefacts in playback that were connected to my transport. Excepting bad recordings/remastering there is no fatigue listening now that I felt there was before.

As for Tyll, I think he is incredibly well-reasoned in his opinions. He always explains where he is coming from. Something interesting that came up after his review was from Spritzer regarding listening volume. As this will significantly affect the sound, if not as much as the type of music being listened to, it can go a long way to explaining some people's impressions of different headphones. The general thought is that the 007s may be better at louder volumes, and the 009s at quieter ones. It is another thing to take into account when reading and commenting, that's for sure.

Sep 26, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #67 of 191
I had some SR-007mk1's driven by the SRM-007t and felt there was a kind of veil over the headphones stopping all the music coming out, l'm guessing the Stax amp had a lot to do with that but when l get the SR-009's l'm hoping that veiled affect won't be a problem.

The 009s are similar to the SR-Omega, in that they are easier to drive than the 007s to get good sound out of them. They work fine out of the 323. I think TMoney's got a T1? The neutrality of 009 makes them well suited to either the tubed or solid state versions (or should I state more "solid-state" sounding) of the STAX amps. I still get the feeling that the 009s have a lot more potential and can't wait to hear them from n3rdling's BHSE in a few weeks.

Sep 26, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #68 of 191

Quote:
Quote:

The 009s are similar to the SR-Omega, in that they are easier to drive than the 007s to get good sound out of them. They work fine out of the 323. I think TMoney's got a T1? The neutrality of 009 makes them well suited to either the tubed or solid state versions (or should I state more "solid-state" sounding) of the STAX amps. I still get the feeling that the 009s have a lot more potential and can't wait to hear them from n3rdling's BHSE in a few weeks.

Hi purrin,
Because l'm from and live in the North of England it's next to impossible to listen to the BHSE, however l placed an order for one in March this year after reading a post about it that Birgir wrote, plus l have the pico slim which l'm very happy with not only it's sound but also Justin's work, regarding to me the SR-007's sounding veiled, as l say l'm guessing that's to do with the SRM -007t and also probably the Esoteric x-03se, l no longer have the three mentioned because l'm eventually getting SR-009's + BHSE + Esoteric K-01. l've mentioned in one of my posts that while l haven't heard the SR-009's and BHSE, l have the K-01 and it's an amazing piece of audio equipment, l think when l get the three working together hopefully no later than next March l should be in for a treat, some will probably say l'm naive not trying out before l buy but regarding the SR-009's and BHSE, as l say where l live it's very difficult, l'll just have to trust the reviews l've read.
                                           Dave
P.S. l hope purrin you enjoy your experience with the SR-009's driven by n3rdling's BHSE, after you have please post your thoughts. 

Sep 26, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #69 of 191
I placed an BHSE order in March too. We'll see if Justin can deliver before the end of the year (I'm expecting a two year wait to manage my expectations properly.) I will let you know my impressions. Just be aware that I may tend to exaggerate the differences - because I figure people playing at this level would really want to know. There's a rumor that another well known amp maker has an electrostatic amp or two in the works... I'll let you know about that one too.

Sep 26, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #70 of 191

Quote:
I placed an BHSE order in March too. We'll see if Justin can deliver before the end of the year (I'm expecting a two year wait to manage my expectations properly.) I will let you know my impressions. Just be aware that I may tend to exaggerate the differences - because I figure people playing at this level would really want to know. There's a rumor that another well known amp maker has an electrostatic amp or two in the works... I'll let you know about that one too.

Thank you purrin l look forward to reading it, because to me the K-01 is quite an investment, l sent Justin an email explaining that even if the BHSE he's doing for me is ready to be shipped this year, l want to have the money to get the three together which wouldn't be until next March, l could get the BHSE + SR-009's and a lesser player a lot earlier than next March but if you heard the K-01 you'd understand why l'm more than willing to wait, also Justin said he'll hold the BHSE until then, While l'm going for what's considered to be a very good headphone system, l'm no audiophile, meaning l'm not educated or experienced enough to explain in detail the nuances headphones achieve, but my ears know when something sounds good and the K-01 + BHSE + SR-009's should deliver what l'm looking for.

Sep 26, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #71 of 191
The 009's are more sensitive than the 007's but I wouldn't call them easy to drive.  In fact, the extra sensitivity is a bit of a nuisance given the high gain most 'stat amps are designed around. 

I'm slowly warming to the 009 but only at low volume levels.  Push the volume and that clarity becomes a liability which is why I retired the BHSE and moved the KGSS to the main rig, at least for now. 

Sep 26, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #72 of 191
hi spritzer,

Is this KGSS the SS amp Justin makes for stats?  It's no longer available on his site....
IS the BHSE yr retiring the current version i am waiting on queue for?

paul

Quote:
The 009's are more sensitive than the 007's but I wouldn't call them easy to drive.  In fact, the extra sensitivity is a bit of a nuisance given the high gain most 'stat amps are designed around. 

I'm slowly warming to the 009 but only at low volume levels.  Push the volume and that clarity becomes a liability which is why I retired the BHSE and moved the KGSS to the main rig, at least for now. 

Sep 26, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #73 of 191

Quote:

Hi Birgir,
Because my hearing l feel is pretty good l only listen at low levels, l guess l'm taking a bit of a risk without trying two of the three audio items l'm eventually getting but l'm fully committed.
                                                                                                   David.

Sep 26, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #74 of 191
I built this KGSS but using the PCB's from Justin.  Mine is similar but not the same as the Headamp units. 

The BHSE is from one of the previous batches but it is like the next 45 units.  The BHSE isn't really the issue here, rather my source was but since I was swapping things around I just left the BHSE disconnected.  People also asked me to try the 009's with less than TOTL amps so I'll also try it with my Exstata SS, Egmont and SRA-3S (modded to Pro bias).  I also have some SRD-7 Mk2's here which I'll try it with plus what ever amps I can throw together (KGST, Exstata V2, KGSSHV, mini ES-X etc.)

Sep 26, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #75 of 191
spritzer, what do you think about the prospects of the 009 with a Stax tube amp? Like the T1 family, including the 006/007 or SRM-600

Users who are viewing this thread

Back