SR-009 vs Orpheus/SR-Omega/O2s?
Sep 20, 2011 at 7:51 AM Post #16 of 191

Quote:
Bullocks, I've heard the LCD-2 with a very nice amp and it doesn't even come close, O2 are superior in about every technical sense. Yes, they were a little dark with the 717, with the KGSS though they have a ruller flat response to my ears, And i do love treble.

Quote:
LCD2 doesn't come close to the SR007A with a decent amp.  Not sure what you were listening to.  Non-audiophile friends who've accompanied me to listening tests have agreed and consider it to be no contest.  The LCD2 is a fine headphone but it's definitely not comparable to a high-end electrostat.

Haha, not trying to start a war here guys. Just my opinion. I think it could be because I used the 007mk2s out of the stax 007 amp which is probably not as good as the BHSE or Woo wes while I use the LCD 2.2s out of a Woo Audio 5, Liquid Fire, Balancing act and Beta 22

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #17 of 191
LCD2 doesn't come close to the SR007A with a decent amp.  Not sure what you were listening to.  Non-audiophile friends who've accompanied me to listening tests have agreed and consider it to be no contest.  The LCD2 is a fine headphone but it's definitely not comparable to a high-end electrostat
   I hope they can hear the LCD2 with proper setup.  However I do agree that different people may hear and prefer differently.
   In order to make the LCD2 shines, I use the new Balancing Act 300B platform.  I used the Stefan audio art power cable
plugged into Furutech Rhodium wall outlet and Stefan audio art umbilical cord.   I use the balanced in via Weiss DAC202
using the Analysis plus golden oval with Furutech carbon fiber terminations.  I have the LCD2 rev1 and rev2 in balanced XLR 4 pin
with apuresound recable for the rev2 and Zeus Silver clad aphrodite cable for the rev1.
I have used the LCD2 with the ZDT before but the soundstage is narrow, congested while the treble rolled off and bass with decay
response.  BA corrrects all the weakpoints and with appropriate tube rolling I have the LCD2 rev2 soundstage to more than satisfactory
and you can appreciate its unique mid which is full bodied , rich and sweet.  BTW I have used several 300B tubes but when I use
the WE300B 1950's and Brimar 6SN7 long bottle or the Telefunken 6SN7 (similar to Swedish Standard but better) it is a totally
different ball game.   I do use the LCD2 a lot while I have other excellent cans including the SR009 or HE90 or SR Omega,O2mkI, II
I do think that LCD2 rev1 or rev2 have a lot of potentials with proper setup.  I would also like to know how the LCD2 will do with
 the new Woo WA234 monoblock and the Super7 amplifier from Eddiecurrent.

Sep 20, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #18 of 191

Quote:
Yup, actually imo, the O2s are outperformed by the LCD 2s

Quote:
I'm an audio professional (composer, sound designer, songwriter) and I prefer the LCD-2 to the Stax 007mk2 (I own both). 007mk2 is a bit more colored of the two, while the LCD-2 is more full-bodied and natural sounding. Both are excellent and some of the best headphones ever made, but I trust the LCD-2 more for critical audio work. With the updated Rev.2 version of the LCD-2, this is likely even more true. 

I can't say the LCD2 is more accurate than the mk1. It's really not close at all. The LCD2 does bass well and that's about all there is.

A Woo Audio 5 costs more than my whole Stax rig.

Sep 20, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #19 of 191
1-st head-fi rule: "Тhe qualities of the headphones are propotional to their price (you can deviate by 10%)."
2-nd head-fi rule: "Newer models are better (not valid for o2mk1 vs. mk2)"
3-rd head-fi rule: "The gear in signature determines your audiophile experience"
4-th head-fi rule: "Electrostats are high end"

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #21 of 191
If we abandoned the transitive property, all the comments here would look like reviews from professional audio magazines
wink.gif

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #22 of 191

Quote:
Haha, not trying to start a war here guys. Just my opinion. I think it could be because I used the 007mk2s out of the stax 007 amp which is probably not as good as the BHSE or Woo wes while I use the LCD 2.2s out of a Woo Audio 5, Liquid Fire, Balancing act and Beta 22

You need, IMO, to start qualifying your opinions properly, as you did in this post, more often. This thread is full, mostly, of blanket statements with zero qualification (explanation for the opinion), making them worthless. Sorry for the brutal comment, but lately many very experienced members have been put off discussion such as this in the High End forum, so I'd like to encourage people to take more care when writing their posts and contribute more meaningful than discussion that sounds like it has come from a high school playground. 
smile.gif

For example, at the moment I am enjoying the SS-009s and the LCD-2 r2s equally, but the latter have the advantage of being used with a relatively better amp than the 009s. I hope that, once I have a KGSS or better amp working that I can compare both Stax and the LCD-2s.  There is somewhat of a disparity between the cost of 'stat amps and dynamic amps relative to what one can get out of them IMO.

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #23 of 191

Quote:
For example, at the moment I am enjoying the SS-009s and the LCD-2 r2s equally, but the latter have the advantage of being used with a relatively better amp than the 009s. I hope that, once I have a KGSS or better amp working that I can compare both Stax and the LCD-2s.  There is somewhat of a disparity between the cost of 'stat amps and dynamic amps relative to what one can get out of them IMO.

Unless you're getting a KGSSHV or BHSE, I think you'd be fine with an SRM-323s. A/Bing the SRM-323s and the standard KGSS was incredibly tiring. The differences if there were any is not worth the price difference IMO. I'm sure I'd probably be able to notice more of a difference if I lived with the KGSS longer, but I'm way too broke. I just needed to hear it. Overall, there wasn't really any frequency response change, bass impact was the same, detail was the same, and congestion was almost the same (maybe a tad less on the KGSS, but still there).

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #24 of 191

Quote:

Unless you're getting a KGSSHV or BHSE, I think you'd be fine with an SRM-323s. A/Bing the SRM-323s and the standard KGSS was incredibly tiring. The differences if there were any is not worth the price difference IMO. I'm sure I'd probably be able to notice more of a difference if I lived with the KGSS longer, but I'm way too broke. I just needed to hear it. Overall, there wasn't really any frequency response change, bass impact was the same, detail was the same, and congestion was almost the same (maybe a tad less on the KGSS, but still there).

What was your source when comparing, out of interest?

Sep 21, 2011 at 7:04 AM Post #26 of 191
That should be good enough I reckon. Interesting that the measurements of the 009 and 007 are up at Innerfidelity, but out of a BHSE, where there's little in it. I suspect that on the regular Stax amps the 009 has the advantage, but we'll need to await more tests to know for sure.

Sep 22, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #27 of 191

Quote:
That should be good enough I reckon. Interesting that the measurements of the 009 and 007 are up at Innerfidelity, but out of a BHSE, where there's little in it. I suspect that on the regular Stax amps the 009 has the advantage, but we'll need to await more tests to know for sure.

Didn't realize that. Thanks for the heads up! Hm... I wonder what 007s he's using.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/StaxSR009.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/StaxSR007.pdf

Sep 24, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #30 of 191

Quote:
blink.gif
There must be something wrong with this KGSS. Or with your ears.
beerchug.gif

Just another person's perspective: The KGSS provided enough of a jump for me (using my source) compared to the SRM323 with the O2mk1 that I decided to order a BHSE. The differences were immediate and did not require a tiring exercise of going back and forth. The SRM323 sounded more anemic, the KGSS produced more bass volume, bass extension, and bass control. The lower treble from the SRM323 also sounded scratchy.

Differences large or small are relative for each person. I would agree we are getting into diminishing returns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back