SR-009 vs Orpheus/SR-Omega/O2s?
Sep 24, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #31 of 191

Quote:
Haha, not trying to start a war here guys. Just my opinion. I think it could be because I used the 007mk2s out of the stax 007 amp which is probably not as good as the BHSE or Woo wes while I use the LCD 2.2s out of a Woo Audio 5, Liquid Fire, Balancing act and Beta 22

O2mk2s out of a SRM007... not good. The mk2s just have too much boom boom flop flop boom. An LCD2 out a top-tier amp would be better.
Quote:
   I hope they can hear the LCD2 with proper setup.  However I do agree that different people may hear and prefer differently...

kiertijai, how do you feel a properly dialed-in LCD2 with the BA sounds in comparison to the SR009 out a STAX amp? I feel that overall, my "dialed-in" BA->HD800 setup (with the EML 300Bs and Brimar driver) is superior to the SRM323->SR009 setup, but the SR009 has better tonal balance and probably more ultimate potential.  I'm curious as to your thoughts. The BA is really one sick (good) amp and noted it was a 100% match with LCD2 when I tried them again a few days ago.

Sep 24, 2011 at 6:48 AM Post #32 of 191

Quote:

Didn't realize that. Thanks for the heads up! Hm... I wonder what 007s he's using.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/StaxSR009.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/StaxSR007.pdf

The serial number of the 007 is SZ1-1023 (aka late model MK I).

Sep 24, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #33 of 191
I think mk2's measurements are more interesting. There's a kind of extramural dispute "stax mafia vs. stax engineers" about o2mk2's superiority. 
o2smile.gif
(mk2 smile)
Furthermore it's the current model, mk1 is discontinued.

Sep 24, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #34 of 191
funny how people compare LCD2 to the sr007. They are different enough to own both,or just sell both to fund the Sr009(but how  can I have the bass of LCD2 ,if I sale them
beyersmile.png
)

Sep 24, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #35 of 191
I really can't gather much by looking at measurement charts. To me both the charts look very similar. Everything looks the same besides frequency response and thd/noise. Would like to understand what I am looking at better.

Sep 24, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #36 of 191

Quote:
     Quote:

Just another person's perspective: The KGSS provided enough of a jump for me (using my source) compared to the SRM323 with the O2mk1 that I decided to order a BHSE. The differences were immediate and did not require a tiring exercise of going back and forth. The SRM323 sounded more anemic, the KGSS produced more bass volume, bass extension, and bass control. The lower treble from the SRM323 also sounded scratchy.

Differences large or small are relative for each person. I would agree we are getting into diminishing returns.

I think you should have done more going back and forth. What you typed there were my first impressions, but when I went back to the SRM323s from the KGSS, the differences proved false and I did it many times throughout the weekend. Either way, the differences were too small for me, a broke recent grad. I did need the cash for other things and the SRM323s is good enough for me. BTW, I'm using the SRM323s on maximum volume. I don't know if that had effect on the differences we heard.

Quote:
blink.gif
There must be something wrong with this KGSS. Or with your ears.
beerchug.gif

It could just be the fact that my SRM323s are used at maximum volume. I'm not sure, but they are really close.

Sep 24, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #37 of 191

Quote:
I think you should have done more going back and forth. What you typed there were my first impressions, but when I went back to the SRM323s from the KGSS, the differences proved false and I did it many times throughout the weekend. Either way, the differences were too small for me, a broke recent grad. I did need the cash for other things and the SRM323s is good enough for me. BTW, I'm using the SRM323s on maximum volume. I don't know if that had effect on the differences we heard.

I've also compared pretty carefully the SRM-323S to the KGSS with my SR-007 mk1. My conclusion was that the KGSS is slightly better. The differences aren't insignificant, but they don't stand out particularly either - a subtle improvement in bass, treble and soundstage with the KGSS.

Sep 24, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #38 of 191

Quote:

I've also compared pretty carefully the SRM-323S to the KGSS with my SR-007 mk1. My conclusion was that the KGSS is slightly better. The differences aren't insignificant, but they don't stand out particularly either - a subtle improvement in bass, treble and soundstage with the KGSS.

Have you tried comparing the sound of the 323s at full volume vs lower volume. It sounds warmer to me at full volume or maybe it's probably due to lowering the volume on my source or maybe I'm just way too hung over.

Sep 24, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #39 of 191

Quote:
Hi all. It's been a while...

Is it too early to look for feedback from people owning at home some of these systems for some meaningful A/B impressions?

I've been browsing through pages and pages (and pages) of what it looks like mostly early speculations that keep getting retro-feedback onto the next post. Can't wait for Birgir's cans to arrive but in the meantime, do we have impressions from owners at home already? (I guess mostly from Japan at this point).

Thanks. Exciting times...

welcome back Javier.   009 is the latest excitement after a long period of low time since HD800.    Just got my 009 today -- the first impression is that it is extremely neutral which is a big improvement over 007s that I hated.    zero hot treble like a few others have reported.   seems not as airy as HE60.   Hasn't got time to compare with my HE90 yet.  

in summary,  009 is definitely a keeper. 

Sep 25, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #40 of 191

Quote:
O2mk2s out of a SRM007... not good. The mk2s just have too much boom boom flop flop boom. An LCD2 out a top-tier amp would be better.

Yup, that was why I found the 007s to be uninspiring. Detail was good though.

Sep 25, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #43 of 191

Quote:
Yup, that was why I found the 007s to be uninspiring. Detail was good though.

I did find the 007mk2.5 (and 009s) much easier to drive though. Personally, I would stay away from the STAX tube amps for the O2mk2/2.5. Those amps are a little bit thick sounding and more suited to the Lambdas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back