SPL Phonitor X / Phonitor E impressions and Discussion thread
Apr 16, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #316 of 1,049
Hi All,

Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum to say I'm one of you now! :o2smile: Received my XE a couple days ago to drive the Ether 2's I received a week prior. I've been burning them in with a frequency sweep at night and during the day. After work I've been loving the setup. The XE is connected to my computer via USB. I'm planning on plugging my Bifrost in to it over the weekend to see if I can hear any difference.

Do have a question - do people leave the XE on (not in standby) 24/7? I'm wondering if leaving it on 24/7 will help keep the DAC stabilized or if it remains powered when in standby.

Thanks!

Apr 16, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #317 of 1,049
Hi Gumby - congrats on your XE purchase. I've had mine about a week now, and been loving every minute with it!

I too, am considering whether to leave it on 24/7 or not?

Have you listened to your HD650's through your XE yet? I think I'll give mine a workout tonight! :smile_phones:

Cheers!

Apr 16, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #318 of 1,049
Hi Gumby - congrats on your XE purchase. I've had mine about a week now, and been loving every minute with it!

Have you listened to your HD650's through your XE yet? I think I'll give mine a workout tonight! :smile_phones:

Cheers!
Hi to both,

I have a question. With Phonitor 2 that does not have a DAC, is it necessary to keep it always with Power on? I had in mind to switch on and off everyday and plug / unplug the headphones while it is switched off.

Cheers!

Apr 16, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #319 of 1,049
I don’t keep the amp on all the time. It already sounds perfect after a fresh start.

Apr 16, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #320 of 1,049
Hi to both,

I have a question. With Phonitor 2 that does not have a DAC, is it necessary to keep it always with Power on? I had in mind to switch on and off everyday and plug / unplug the headphones while it is switched off.

Cheers!

Cheers!
@mprism854 I would guess that with it being a solid state amp, you probably wouldn't see much improvement if it were left on. The reason I was asking was with regard to the DAC and over in the Schiit thread, they talk about hearing "significant" improvement after their DACs have been on for a bit of time. When I was burning in the X and E2's I didn't notice the box being anything remarkable regarding warmth, so I might just leave it on for a week to see what happens.

@kenammo I have not yet tried the 650's. However, they are in the list to try along with the 700's. I just got my setup organized the way I want it, so now I can really begin to play. Thankfully the weekend is coming up! :)

Apr 16, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #321 of 1,049
@mprism854 I would guess that with it being a solid state amp, you probably wouldn't see much improvement if it were left on. The reason I was asking was with regard to the DAC and over in the Schiit thread, they talk about hearing "significant" improvement after their DACs have been on for a bit of time. When I was burning in the X and E2's I didn't notice the box being anything remarkable regarding warmth, so I might just leave it on for a week to see what happens.

@kenammo I have not yet tried the 650's. However, they are in the list to try along with the 700's. I just got my setup organized the way I want it, so now I can really begin to play. Thankfully the weekend is coming up! :)

Thanks to all the answers guys! (Did not know how to quote also hellraiser). I am ordering the Phonitor 2 if all goes well and give my feedback when it arrives :wink:

Apr 16, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #322 of 1,049
Thank you all for your feedback. I'm glad I invested in my Phonitor Xe, as it exceeds all my expectations; it'll likely be my endgame setup. :thumbsup:

@mprism854 - best of luck with your Phonitor 2 purchase. I'm sure you will like it alot!

@GumbyDammit223 - Yes! A nice, long, self-quarantined weekend, with my Single Malt, my Sativa, my music collection and my beloved Phonitor!

Cheers!

Apr 17, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #323 of 1,049
So, my Phonitor 2 arrived yesterday. I’m using my Sony TA-ZH1ES as a DAC/music source with my Sony WMA1Z. I’ll be spending lots of time evaluating the various headphone combinations but I’m certainly liking it very much based on my (so far) limited listening. Obviously I have lots of output sources between the Sony and the Phonitor 2. Here are a couple of pictures of my current listening setup:
D728738B-9760-4609-8EF5-C94924EF79C6.jpeg
73094B89-EDB1-4FD7-84F1-1FDD50172E7D.jpeg

Apr 17, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #324 of 1,049
@Gadget67: Very nice, quality setup you have there. Enjoy!

Apr 18, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #326 of 1,049
My retreat as well. Better safe than sorry, etc. I notice some delightful Sony cans on your far left?

Apr 18, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #328 of 1,049
Just connected my Sennheiser 600 to the Phonitor. These have always been a bit of a disappointment to me and I have connected them to amps with plenty of power. They’ve been called “veiled“ and I’ve always felt like I was listening with Cotten in my ears. Well, not any more! I pulled them out of purgatory. Absolutely amazing; these headphones are crushing it connected to the Phonitor. For reference I’ve turned dip switches 1, 3, 5 on increasing output by +12 dB, boosting RCA input to studio level and activating the matrix function for the XLR outputs.

Looks like the 600’s are back in the lineup!

Apr 18, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #329 of 1,049
Just connected my Sennheiser 600 to the Phonitor. These have always been a bit of a disappointment to me and I have connected them to amps with plenty of power. They’ve been called “veiled“ and I’ve always felt like I was listening with Cotten in my ears. Well, not any more! I pulled them out of purgatory. Absolutely amazing; these headphones are crushing it connected to the Phonitor. For reference I’ve turned dip switches 1, 3, 5 on increasing output by +12 dB, boosting RCA input to studio level and activating the matrix function for the XLR outputs.

Looks like the 600’s are back in the lineup!

Yep! All the Phonitors run all the hard to drive headphones very well. I use my Sennheiser HD650's with the Phonitor X.

IMO the German designed audio gear usually always is very well designed internally. Well thought out circuit design and usually have tons of power. In the case of the SPL gear I think it's due to running on high voltage rails. Either way happy to hear you're loving your new Phonitor!:)

Apr 18, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #330 of 1,049
Yes! The Focal Utopia and Stellia are my absolute favorites, but the Sony MDR-Z1R is a decent second. Really though, the Focals are on a different level!

I liked the Stellia and the focal house sound in general. Love my Z1R (with the neotech cable upgrade). If only the Stellia had a better sound stage ! That's the only thing that's preventing me from pulling the trigger. May try the verite closed but have heard conflicting opinions.

Oh and want to try the Phonitor too but already have the v281 that I adore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back