SPL Phonitor X / Phonitor E impressions and Discussion thread
Apr 11, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #302 of 1,049
I’m interested in purchasing a Phonitor; can I assume that I can use the pre-out on the Sony to connect to the analog inputs on the phonitor to make use of the Sony’s DAC and route music from my Sony WM1Z to the Phonitor? Any help/advice would be appreciate!
CD00E7E5-FAAA-41F6-8FBF-74E1C80B68E5.jpeg

Apr 11, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #303 of 1,049
I’m interested in purchasing a Phonitor; can I assume that I can use the pre-out on the Sony to connect to the analog inputs on the phonitor to make use of the Sony’s DAC and route music from my Sony WM1Z to the Phonitor? Any help/advice would be appreciate!

Yes, you are correct. In this case as you stated you would use the Sony as your DAC. Phonitor would then be your headphone amp. The only thing you would need would be a set of RCA cables.

Apr 11, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #304 of 1,049
Yes, you are correct. In this case as you stated you would use the Sony as your DAC. Phonitor would then be your headphone amp. The only thing you would need would be a set of RCA cables.
Thanks...and I even have the RCA cables! Lots of them; in fact I think they are secretly breeding in my spare parts bin:beerchug:

Apr 11, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #305 of 1,049
CD00E7E5-FAAA-41F6-8FBF-74E1C80B68E5.jpeg

yes it will plug into the analog into the RCA's on the phonitor.

Apr 13, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #307 of 1,049
Hello,

Longtime lurker who just joined the community. I just purchased a used Phonitor E last week and got it hooked up to my new TEAC NT 505 on Saturday. I've only got a few hours in on both but will chime in later once I've had more time with it. Thus far, I'm very pleased.

Apr 13, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #308 of 1,049
@ronhGA,

Congrats on your Phonitor E! Always intrested in hearing about how members pair up gear, I.E. headphones, DACs, cables. In your case it looks like you also have a new Teac DAC to evaluate. Either way, enjoy the new gear and welcome to Head-Fi. Let us know how everything works out for you. Cheers!

Apr 14, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #309 of 1,049
Hi All,

Nice to meet you, I am new on this forum and a newbie on headphone amps topic.
This thread for me was extremely useful to understand if I should buy a Phonitor x/xe/1/mini VS a Phonitor 2. Thank you all!

Before proceeding to my purchase I would like to clarify a couple of points, hope someone can help me.

The main reasons I want to buy the Phonitor 2 are:

- Better quality for HD800 Listening (both music and me playing the guitar through the kemper)
- A closer Studio monitors feeling when using headphones while I play guitar or mix in cubase.
I cannot use the Studio Monitors (KRK VXT6) in my building at a decent volume.

Given the above reasons, I think the phonitor 2 could be enough as the sound quality should be the same as the latest phoniors X and XE, plus crossfeed options there are more in Phonitor 2.

My current setup:

- Kemper (Guitar Audio amp profiler)
- RME Fireface UC
- Sennheiser HD800 (listening them directly from the fireface UC headphone output)
I use the cable with 6.3mm single jack output, the headphone is used so do not have other cables.

The volume is properly driven by the Fireface UC Headphone output but from what I understand, I might not use the HD800 at their full potential and is a pity.
Initially I thought to upgrade to a prismsound lyra 2 and use the Headphone output but then read about higher latency (using kemper and vst in cubase) I changed my mind as well would love the crossfeed feature analog and not via VST.

After a long intro and apologies for that, I would like to to ask the following to everyone who can give me an input/advice:

- Do you think is a substantial improvement the Phonitor 2 vs the RME fireface uc headphone output in terms of sound quality?
- Is the Phonitor 2 the best headphone amp with analog crossfeed feature?
- Is the following future below setup I have in mind correct?

Using kemper ANALOG XLR OUT (guitar audio processing device) connect it to RME Fireface UC Analog mic inputs --> RME Fireface UC LINE OUTS connected into Phonitor XLR input. With Phonitor I would listen the guitar through cubase and music from RME line output.

My doubt in buying the Phonitor 2 are also coming from a test I did in the music store when I bought the Sennheiser HD800. I tried these two setups:

1) Connect my kemper to the Sennheiser amp HDV 820 (via xlr) and hear from the HDV 820 my kemper output while playing with HD800 (no audio interface involved)
2) Use the HD800 directly in the Kemper headphone output

Result: the headphone amp hdv 820 was cutting some low frequencies and high frequencies, so it was reducing the sound response in this particular situation.
Not sure however if it was a good idea to go from the kemper analog outs to the headphone amp instead of passing through an audio interface first.
Given the result, I bought only the headphones on that time.

Thanks a lot for any answer or input.

Cheers!

Apr 14, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #310 of 1,049
Mprism - I think you will be completely satisfied with whatever Phonitor you purchase. Their analog Crossfeed is the best I've heard. Also their Laterality Mode. Subtle, but effective. I've had my Phonitor xe with 768 DAC for about a week now, and I continue to be amazed by the sound. Accurate. Smooth. Dark background. Incredible power. I'm having great fun re-listening to my "reference" recordings, as I'm actually hearing things I've never heard before!

You mention in your post above, that you want a "closer Studio monitors feeling." You'll definitely get that feeling with your Phonitor.

Good luck with your decision!

Apr 14, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #311 of 1,049
Mprism - I think you will be completely satisfied with whatever Phonitor you purchase. Their analog Crossfeed is the best I've heard. Also their Laterality Mode. Subtle, but effective. I've had my Phonitor xe with 768 DAC for about a week now, and I continue to be amazed by the sound. Accurate. Smooth. Dark background. Incredible power. I'm having great fun re-listening to my "reference" recordings, as I'm actually hearing things I've never heard before!

You mention in your post above, that you want a "closer Studio monitors feeling." You'll definitely get that feeling with your Phonitor.

Good luck with your decision!

Hi Kenammo,

Thanks a lot for your feedback and impression. I would use the DAC conversion of the RME fireface uc (until next upgrade..:wink: )

It is not an easy decision to make..... I understand with good recordings the crossfeed works well and sound quality (frequencies range/details etc) becomes also better compared to an audio interface headphone output such my rme fireface uc (that is not doing a bad job). Especially with an HD800 that usually is combined with an headphone amp.

What I understand is that if the record/mix is not properly done the speaker experience can be subtle when crossfeed is used or sound quality perception could not be so different

I am concerned basically that my expactations are too high for my usage type that is a bit abnormal . Basically the purpose as I cannot use studio monitors is to replace them with this combo and also to give the HD800 a proper partner, though the RME is able to drive it at high volume.

If I play guitar through the kemper (it generates a guitar amp simulation through profiling) --> RME analog out --> Phonitor --> HD 800 or listen a mix made by me that of course is not professionally done :), I am afraid the big difference from THE upgrade I am expecting is less than I thought.

Apr 15, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #312 of 1,049
Hi Kenammo,

Thanks a lot for your feedback and impression. I would use the DAC conversion of the RME fireface uc (until next upgrade..:wink: )

It is not an easy decision to make..... I understand with good recordings the crossfeed works well and sound quality (frequencies range/details etc) becomes also better compared to an audio interface headphone output such my rme fireface uc (that is not doing a bad job). Especially with an HD800 that usually is combined with an headphone amp.

What I understand is that if the record/mix is not properly done the speaker experience can be subtle when crossfeed is used or sound quality perception could not be so different

I am concerned basically that my expactations are too high for my usage type that is a bit abnormal . Basically the purpose as I cannot use studio monitors is to replace them with this combo and also to give the HD800 a proper partner, though the RME is able to drive it at high volume.

If I play guitar through the kemper (it generates a guitar amp simulation through profiling) --> RME analog out --> Phonitor --> HD 800 or listen a mix made by me that of course is not professionally done :), I am afraid the big difference from THE upgrade I am expecting is less than I thought.
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

to your first question: the phonitor 2 will be a significant improvement over the fire face. I had this dac before I upgraded to my rme adi-2 pro (and then added the phonitor 2 this year) and even this step brought some great improvements. it should be way more obvious in your case because I had just low demanding headphones to drive - like the audeze lcd-x. my most demanding ones where the sennheiser hd660s which is still way lower than your hd800.

to your second question: there are not that many devices out there which offer a crossfeed function and to 90% they sound like crap. the best crossfeed offers chords Hugo 2 and phonitor 2 (in my case xe version). the latter is even better than Hugo. my rme adi also has this feature but it is nowhere near the sound capability of these devices. I must also say the crossfeed works nearly on every music you throw at it. even with techno music. there are just some exceptions which maybe won't experience an improvement with this.

and to your last one: you are completely right :wink:

if I can help further just ask :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #313 of 1,049
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

to your first question: the phonitor 2 will be a significant improvement over the fire face. I had this dac before I upgraded to my rme adi-2 pro (and then added the phonitor 2 this year) and even this step brought some great improvements. it should be way more obvious in your case because I had just low demanding headphones to drive - like the audeze lcd-x. my most demanding ones where the sennheiser hd660s which is still way lower than your hd800.

to your second question: there are not that many devices out there which offer a crossfeed function and to 90% they sound like crap. the best crossfeed offers chords Hugo 2 and phonitor 2 (in my case xe version). the latter is even better than Hugo. my rme adi also has this feature but it is nowhere near the sound capability of these devices. I must also say the crossfeed works nearly on every music you throw at it. even with techno music. there are just some exceptions which maybe won't experience an improvement with this.

and to your last one: you are completely right :wink:

if I can help further just ask :wink:
Hi Hellreaiser,

Thanks for the welcoming and also for the hints. By the way cool nickname, I like the movie series too.

Actually this is super interesting, I wanted to ask in your opinion if it is worth to pass to a better DAC vs Phonitor 2? (probably both will happen but now thinking what would be first)
Initially thought about prism sound lyra 2.

What made you deciding Phonitor xe vs 2? The reason I am considering 2 is because it has more options for crossfeed/matrix and is the one recommended for mixing/sound production.
I read 2 should be same sound quality of xe/x plus more crossfeed options but on one side I am a bit surprised a new amp sounds the same as an old model. Of course makes sense to do the proper upgrade with best sounding and best crossfeed unit for me among these.

Ps glad the setup I have in mind is correct, sometimes I have doubts how a headphone amp should best feeded.

Apr 15, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #314 of 1,049
Hi Hellreaiser,

Thanks for the welcoming and also for the hints. By the way cool nickname, I like the movie series too.

Actually this is super interesting, I wanted to ask in your opinion if it is worth to pass to a better DAC vs Phonitor 2? (probably both will happen but now thinking what would be first)
Initially thought about prism sound lyra 2.

What made you deciding Phonitor xe vs 2? The reason I am considering 2 is because it has more options for crossfeed/matrix and is the one recommended for mixing/sound production.
I read 2 should be same sound quality of xe/x plus more crossfeed options but on one side I am a bit surprised a new amp sounds the same as an old model. Of course makes sense to do the proper upgrade with best sounding and best crossfeed unit for me among these.

Ps glad the setup I have in mind is correct, sometimes I have doubts how a headphone amp should best feeded.

Thanks. This films are one of my favourites in this genre and I am quiet uncreative with nicknames :sweat_smile:

The Phonitor is a rare type of amp because it has no own sound signature like others in this price area (from Violectric, Benchmark, etc). It just extents the capability of the fed signal. In the case of the ADI, this means that dynamics and Imaging are improving.
It doesn’t change the neutral sound of it. That is exactly why I wanted this combination for mastering. If you hadn’t an already good interface from RME I would suggest you to buy the ADI. But in this case I would suggest you to go for the Phonitor.
The ADI wouldn’t be that different in terms of the DAC.It’s more the already good Internal headphone amp which again stands no chance against the Phonitor.
The XE is also no upgrade from the 2. it’s just marketed to another consumer group. That’s also why it has a balanced headphone out.
I purchased the XE because I also have many balanced Headphones and I had the chance to get it very cheap.

Prism sound DACs are very good but that’s their main purpose. The amps are like with the ADI just the topping. So the SPL would be also an upgrade with this combination.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #315 of 1,049
Thanks. This films are one of my favourites in this genre and I am quiet uncreative with nicknames :sweat_smile:

The Phonitor is a rare type of amp because it has no own sound signature like others in this price area (from Violectric, Benchmark, etc). It just extents the capability of the fed signal. In the case of the ADI, this means that dynamics and Imaging are improving.
It doesn’t change the neutral sound of it. That is exactly why I wanted this combination for mastering. If you hadn’t an already good interface from RME I would suggest you to buy the ADI. But in this case I would suggest you to go for the Phonitor.
The ADI wouldn’t be that different in terms of the DAC.It’s more the already good Internal headphone amp which again stands no chance against the Phonitor.
The XE is also no upgrade from the 2. it’s just marketed to another consumer group. That’s also why it has a balanced headphone out.
I purchased the XE because I also have many balanced Headphones and I had the chance to get it very cheap.

Prism sound DACs are very good but that’s their main purpose. The amps are like with the ADI just the topping. So the SPL would be also an upgrade with this combination.

Thanks a lot, I think you convinced me :) and in case I do not find cheaper XE or X I go for the phonitor 2.

The only mistery in all my story, that does not affect the phonitor 2 decision is: why when the kemper entered via analog the sennheiser HDV 820 headphone amp, which is a very expensive amp, the sound quality of the kemper got worst than using headphones from kemper directly...

I wonder if headphone amps cut some frequency extremes of the guitar if they get the pure output from the guitar processor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back