SPL Phonitor X / Phonitor E impressions and Discussion thread
Apr 18, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #331 of 1,052
Yep! All the Phonitors run all the hard to drive headphones very well. I use my Sennheiser HD650's with the Phonitor X.

IMO the German designed audio gear usually always is very well designed internally. Well thought out circuit design and usually have tons of power. In the case of the SPL gear I think it's due to running on high voltage rails. Either way happy to hear you're loving your new Phonitor!:)
The Phonitor also raises my other headphone to seemingly new levels as well so the 600’s wont displace them as my absolute favorites. If the Sennheiser 600 was my only headphone, I’d be calling the Phonitor a miracle worker!

Apr 18, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #333 of 1,052
I liked the Stellia and the focal house sound in general. Love my Z1R (with the neotech cable upgrade). If only the Stellia had a better sound stage ! That's the only thing that's preventing me from pulling the trigger. May try the verite closed but have heard conflicting opinions.

Oh and want to try the Phonitor too but already have the v281 that I adore.
The Phonitor matrix function really make the Stellia soundstage expand (at least to my ears); worth a listen if you get the chance!

Apr 21, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #334 of 1,052
Does anybody have experience with:

Rupert Neve RNHP (~$500 new)
Phonitor 2 ($1k Used)
Violectric HPA V281 ($1k Used)

I have LCD3, LCDX, and HP3s... Looking to add a solid state amp to the mix and wondering which offers the best performance at their respective price levels.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #335 of 1,052
I have finally finished setup of my Phonitor 2. My Moon audio cable order arrived today and I replaced my RCA cables connecting the Sony to the Phonitor with Black Dragon cables with Cardas RCA connectors. I’ve also added a two foot Black Dragon converter cable which connects to the XLR Rear panel out so I can use my Collection of balanced headphone cables with the Utopia and Stellia headphones. Until now I’ve been using the stock cables through the 1/4“ headphone out; perfectly fine but my aftermarket cables really do make a difference! Still evaluating, but at the moment I’d say this is the best amp I’ve ever used:gs1000smile:
BBA42A2F-5A84-4978-AABC-093607F2F9F8.jpeg

Apr 21, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #336 of 1,052
I have finally finished setup of my Phonitor 2. My Moon audio cable order arrived today and I replaced my RCA cables connecting the Sony to the Phonitor with Black Dragon cables with Cardas RCA connectors. I’ve also added a two foot Black Dragon converter cable which connects to the XLR Rear panel out so I can use my Collection of balanced headphone cables with the Utopia and Stellia headphones. Until now I’ve been using the stock cables through the 1/4“ headphone out; perfectly fine but my aftermarket cables really do make a difference! Still evaluating, but at the moment I’d say this is the best amp I’ve ever used:gs1000smile:
BBA42A2F-5A84-4978-AABC-093607F2F9F8.jpeg

And I think their in lies the beauty of Phonitor. It allows for many different configurations. From single-ended to balanced headphone connections to RCA and XLR inputs and outs. Really a well thought out design.

Apr 21, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #337 of 1,052
If I have no interest in the Phinitor's dac (which I dont) and I'm ok with connecting balanced headphones to the back of the unit, I'd be better off with a Phonitor 2 rather than a xe it sounds like. I may pick one up to try.

Apr 21, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #338 of 1,052
And I think their in lies the beauty of Phonitor. It allows for many different configurations. From single-ended to balanced headphone connections to RCA and XLR inputs and outs. Really a well thought out design.
I totally agree. I’ve also repurposed an old Apple TV remote (you can see it in my picture) to raise and lower the volume. I also received a 1/4 to balanced XLR converter from moon so I can also use all of my cables with the 1/4 headphone out. I can now use the output switch to do A-B comparisons with my headphones. very nice!

Apr 21, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #339 of 1,052
If I have no interest in the Phinitor's dac (which I dont) and I'm ok with connecting balanced headphones to the back of the unit, I'd be better off with a Phonitor 2 rather than a xe it sounds like. I may pick one up to try.
There are lots of nice DAC’s out there and they are always improving. The Phonitor 2 is a better choice in my opinion; why limit yourself to a built in DAC When you can upgrade later. Good choice; you’ll love it!

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #340 of 1,052
There are lots of nice DAC’s out there and they are always improving. The Phonitor 2 is a better choice in my opinion; why limit yourself to a built in DAC When you can upgrade later. Good choice; you’ll love it!

Yes I already have a Holo Spring Kitsune and RME. Was just trying to ensure there's no other advantage to gettiong the xe. Think I'll get a Phonitor 2. Thanks !

Apr 21, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #342 of 1,052
The XE has upgraded components and supposedly sounds better than the Phonitor 2.

Oh boy ! Really ? Its crazy how hard it is to understand the differences between their model line up reading their website.

Apr 21, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #344 of 1,052
They don't advertise it but SPL directly told another customer at an alternate forum about the differences.

Thanks for letting me know. Appreciate it.

Apr 22, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #345 of 1,052
Does anybody have experience with:

Rupert Neve RNHP (~$500 new)
Phonitor 2 ($1k Used)
Violectric HPA V281 ($1k Used)

I have LCD3, LCDX, and HP3s... Looking to add a solid state amp to the mix and wondering which offers the best performance at their respective price levels.
I’ve compared the V281 and the Phonitor. To sum it up: The Violectric sounds (in relation to the SPL) more warm and has a bit more emphasis on the low end. The biggest advantage for the SPL is the dynamic area and the neutral sound (you can easily pick up the signature sound of the DAC you are using)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back