SPL Phonitor X / Phonitor E impressions and Discussion thread
Apr 22, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #346 of 1,051
I’ve compared the V281 and the Phonitor. To sum it up: The Violectric sounds (in relation to the SPL) more warm and has a bit more emphasis on the low end. The biggest advantage for the SPL is the dynamic area and the neutral sound (you can easily pick up the signature sound of the DAC you are using)

Kind of the gist I'm getting is that the Phonitor has more features by the Violectic is probably more of my cup of tea from a sound signature perspective. If I was an HD800S guy I'd guy Phonitor but I'm not. Thanks!

Apr 25, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #348 of 1,051
Apr 25, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #349 of 1,051
Kind of the gist I'm getting is that the Phonitor has more features by the Violectic is probably more of my cup of tea from a sound signature perspective. If I was an HD800S guy I'd guy Phonitor but I'm not. Thanks!

I’ve never heard the Violectric but after pairing the Phonitor E with a TEAC NT 505 and it’s dual AK 4497 DACs I would venture to say the sound I’m getting is downright tubey. Warm but detailed and rather holographic. I’ve only had this setup for a couple of weeks but I’m very satisfied with the results.

Apr 27, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #350 of 1,051
I really love my Phonitor Xe, but I'm perplexed about something relatively minor: While my owners manual specifies a maximum "PCM Digital Input Sample Rate" of 32/768 via USB (B), the most I can get from my new Win 10 desktop is 32/384 via USB (B).

Again, this is quite minor - considering the current lack of files at that rate, and my diminished hearing anyway. I'm quite satisfied with my 16/44 - - 24/192 recordings. It just switches on the ol' OCD and has me wondering if I overlooked something, blah blah...

I've connected my Phonitor to a regular USB port (not a hub or adapter) on back of my new desktop. Tried ASIO and WASAPI. No differences.

If any of you have encountered a similar issue/fix, please advise. Many, many thanks!

Apr 27, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #351 of 1,051
I really love my Phonitor Xe, but I'm perplexed about something relatively minor: While my owners manual specifies a maximum "PCM Digital Input Sample Rate" of 32/768 via USB (B), the most I can get from my new Win 10 desktop is 32/384 via USB (B).

Again, this is quite minor - considering the current lack of files at that rate, and my diminished hearing anyway. I'm quite satisfied with my 16/44 - - 24/192 recordings. It just switches on the ol' OCD and has me wondering if I overlooked something, blah blah...

I've connected my Phonitor to a regular USB port (not a hub or adapter) on back of my new desktop. Tried ASIO and WASAPI. No differences.

If any of you have encountered a similar issue/fix, please advise. Many, many thanks!
This discussion may shed some light on your question. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-d70-usb-sampling-rates.8175/

Apr 27, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #352 of 1,051
Hi all, new here and wanted to ask the experts, I purchased a lightly used Phonitor X a few weeks ago, I enjoy it very much and often times use the built in DAC, it sounds excellent to me. My question is, how do I tell which model DAC I have in my unit, from my understanding the X version can come with either the DAC192 or the DAC768xs? I was unable to get the original box or any paperwork with my unit, and nothing on the unit itself gives any indication of which DAC is installed. It's an OCD thing and has my left eyeball twitching...Do I just email the serial number to SPL and ask them or is there some way to figure this out on my own? Otherwise could not be happier, this thing is a keeper.

Apr 27, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #353 of 1,051
@NickMimi

I think your best bet in finding out this information is to email SPL. I think this all depends on when your unit was manufactured.

My Phonitor X with DAC was purchased in December 2018. So for me I'm almost 100% sure my DAC is DAC 192. I may drop them an email myself so I can verify. Good luck and enjoy your Phonitor!

Apr 28, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #354 of 1,051
Last evening i was listening Leonard Cohen(again) and decided to try without Matrix. Clicked it back on pretty soon. I think i can't live without it anymore. So, i assume that SPL Phonitor xe will be my amp to the grave. :p

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #355 of 1,051
Last evening i was listening Leonarnd Cohen(again) and decided to try without Matrix. Clicked it back on pretty soon. I think i can't live without it anymore. So, i assume that SPL Phonitor xe will be my amp to the grave. :p
Amen, brother! It does make a difference to me as well. And, Leonard Cohen is my wife’s favorite!

Apr 29, 2020 at 7:02 AM Post #356 of 1,051
Amen, brother! It does make a difference to me as well. And, Leonard Cohen is my wife’s favorite!
Can't blame her. :)
Leonard Cohen enjoyed via Stellias and SPL makes me almost weep.
Incredibly beautiful and touching. Everytime.

Apr 29, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #358 of 1,051
Apr 29, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #359 of 1,051
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back