SPL Phonitor Impressions Thread
May 13, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #661 of 706
I will write up a review after I receive my GSX, which I think will be about a month or so in the future. I do like my Phoinitor and in the past people said that it stocks up well against the GSX, but that was before MK2, so it I am curious how these two compare now. 

I look forward to it!

Nov 27, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #665 of 706
Recently got Phonitor 2730, listening mainly on Sennheiser HD650. I'm was really surprised, how HD650 can perform with right amplification. Don't tried to listen with crossfeed, just enjoying music. Now, i'm thinking i need to look forward HD800.

Nov 27, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #666 of 706
  Recently got Phonitor 2730, listening mainly on Sennheiser HD650. I'm was really surprised, how HD650 can perform with right amplification. Don't tried to listen with crossfeed, just enjoying music. Now, i'm thinking i need to look forward HD800.

yeah hd800 is a good match with the SPL amps

Feb 2, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #667 of 706
I just bought Phonitor 2730. It had been on my "if only" list for a long time...but I knew I would never have afford to buy one. Now that I had to change buy a used one for what I thought was an excellent price I did not hesitate. I still have not received it though. I was supposed to buy meier daccord but now with phonitor I don't need a dac with crossfeed. There are a lot of recommandions for dac's in this thread but I was thinking if there are some new ones that I should also consider. I'm willing to pay max 700 euros but preferably closer to 500€. Also if the dac is available in eu for a reasonable price would be awesome. For example schiit gungnir would cost me close to 1200$ after shipping, vat and toll fees. I was also wondering how good is phonitor considered these days? I hope it's not severely outdated compared to newer amps...

EDIT: I have no use for preamp function, remote or other extra stuff. I prefer to spent on sound quality only. Both usb and coax input would be nice but one or the other will do. Of course it would be nice if dac would visually match phonitor. I mean it would be cool if it was longer than wider in dimensions. And of course silver would be the preferred color to match my phonitor. All that would be only icing on the cake though...sound quality is the absolute priority.

Apr 14, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #670 of 706
  Hi
Anyone experiencing static noises in Phonitor on the headphone output? I do. They come up with or without the sourse xlr cables connected at the back.
Regards
Andy

Yep I am. I have had it in the shop and no help so it's just sitting there doing nothing. I was going to sell it but I can't really while it's doing that. I believe it's one of the OP amps but I am not sure for certain.

At first I thought it might have been a noisy pot but that turned out to not be the case, I also thought it might have been RFI. But I had the thing wrapped in a faraday cage and it still did it. Unfortunately it costs an utter packet for it to be even looked at let alone fixed so I guess I am out 1 Phonitor.

No response from SPL either.

Apr 14, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #671 of 706

Hi
Anyone experiencing static noises in Phonitor on the headphone output? I do. They come up with or without the sourse xlr cables connected at the back.
Regards
Andy

Yep I am. I have had it in the shop and no help so it's just sitting there doing nothing. I was going to sell it but I can't really while it's doing that. I believe it's one of the OP amps but I am not sure for certain.

At first I thought it might have been a noisy pot but that turned out to not be the case, I also thought it might have been RFI. But I had the thing wrapped in a faraday cage and it still did it. Unfortunately it costs an utter packet for it to be even looked at let alone fixed so I guess I am out 1 Phonitor.

Wow that's a total bummer, and really disappointing to hear. With a unit that has so many knobs and bells and whistles going on, I'd really be expecting a good support system to help fix any issues. 

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #673 of 706
  Hi
Regards
Andy

Irony is I had exactly the same problem with modulated static noises from my Cambridge DAC connected to the Phonitor. It was tested by producer and said to be uneconomic to repair, I had just replaced the DAC a month ago and I got the same thing from Phonitor now.

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #674 of 706

UK distributor just answered me that they can service my Phonitor. Now I asked them about the costs. Are you from UK?

Apr 16, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #675 of 706

UK distributor just answered me that they can service my Phonitor. Now I asked them about the costs. Are you from UK?

Unfortunately I am in Australia. There's a place I can send my Phonitor to, but I am worried about costs (And the service center were ambiguous in this regard, telling me it "could be anything" which had my wallet shaking) and not sure it would be economically efficient to get it repaired or just put the money towards a new amp. 

I have already had it into an Audio guy locally here but he basically did nothing and charged me 150 dollars. Not keen on something like that happening again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back