SPL Phonitor Impressions Thread
Mar 9, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #601 of 706
Quote:
My personal belief is that the Auditor is a very transparent amp, not adding any colour to the sound, so what you are hearing is what your DAC and transport are producing.  If the synergy is not there, I wouldn't be looking at the amp for answers.

I feel exactly the same way as rezolver. 

Today I can listen to an album I have heard for 10, 20, 30 years and feel like I'm finally hearing exactly what the artist and studio tech's put their heart and soul into.

Mar 9, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #602 of 706
Netbook, Auditor and T1 next to my bed.  Audio-gd Ref 5.32 dac and V-Link 192 on the shelf underneath.  Lacie external hard drive underneath the table.

Mar 9, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #603 of 706
Quote:
Netbook, Auditor and T1 next to my bed.  Audio-gd dac and V-Link on the shelf underneath.  External hard drive underneath the table.

Looks like life it tough up there 
size]

Mar 9, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #605 of 706
Quote:
Us Canadians keep happy keeping it simple.

Nice inventory list btw.....I'd love to hear that Reference 1. 

Wow, glad you could cipher what I was saying. Don't know what was happening there. 

Meant:
"Looks like life is rough up there"

The Ref1 is my baby. It's the oldest piece of equipment I have (in terms of ownership) running at just over 3 years now.  I've had cash offers at meets for it, but I doubt I'll ever part.  Even though the PCM1704 is discontinued, I've heard the newer stuff does really well still. If you ever are in the area though, I'm always willing! 

Mar 10, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #606 of 706
Quote:

Wow, glad you could cipher what I was saying. Don't know what was happening there. 

Meant:
"Looks like life is rough up there"

The Ref1 is my baby. It's the oldest piece of equipment I have (in terms of ownership) running at just over 3 years now.  I've had cash offers at meets for it, but I doubt I'll ever part.  Even though the PCM1704 is discontinued, I've heard the newer stuff does really well still. If you ever are in the area though, I'm always willing! 

Not yet discontinued ^^ their was a news misleading us at Audio GD but in fact PCM1704 is still in production

http://www.ti.com/product/pcm1704

Phonitor/Auditor are great amps , but don't have any hard to drive headphone currently so
redface.gif

Mar 10, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #607 of 706
Quote:

Not yet discontinued ^^ their was a news misleading us at Audio GD but in fact PCM1704 is still in production

Phonitor/Auditor are great amps , but don't have any hard to drive headphone currently so
redface.gif

I think is more about how the SPL's sounds with most of the headphones compare to the other amps out there... and not necessary if will drive most of the hard to drive headphone on the market.

Mar 10, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #608 of 706
elwappo, the Ref 5.2 already sounds great with the Auditor and your Reference 1 would sound fantastic I'm sure.

Last night I got lost in the music while listening to the self titled Dire Straits record on the Auditor with my K501's. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 10, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #609 of 706

Phonitor/Auditor are great amps , but don't have any hard to drive headphone currently so :xf_eek:

Indeed, unfortunately those chips are harder and harder for kingwa. I think he's shifted his thinking to more available chips.

elwappo, the Ref 5.2 already sounds great with the Auditor and your Reference 1 would sound fantastic I'm sure.

Last night I got lost in the music while listening to the self titled Dire Straits record on the Auditor with my K501's. :)

Gah! You're killing me. I'd love to hear a phonitor vs mjolnir shootout, but I suspect that will take awhile. I'm keeping my eyes peeled

Mar 10, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #610 of 706
Nah, you will live.  Your wallet on the other hand, that will suffer a little. hahha :)

I would like to hear any shootout impressions of any SS amp vs the SPL duo.  At this point, I do not have a need to upgrade the SPL as it does not seem to do anything wrong.  Cliche comment I know.

Anyone listening to the HE-500s or K501s on the Auditor like I am?

Mar 10, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #611 of 706
Quote:
Nah, you will live.  Your wallet on the other hand, that will suffer a little. hahha :)

I would like to hear any shootout impressions of any SS amp vs the SPL duo.  At this point, I do not have a need to upgrade the SPL as it does not seem to do anything wrong.  Cliche comment I know.

Anyone listening to the HE-500s or K501s on the Auditor like I am?

Just first impression, but I found the new Senn HDVA 600 gave my hd650s way more resolution and tightened up their bass. that was just SE output also. No idea how balanced sounds.
I compared 650s to 800s on the new amp in tandem, and found the amp brought the 650s much closer in performance to 800s that the SPLs can. With the SPLs I find they work v well with 800, less so with 650s. IMO! 

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #612 of 706
Quote:
I would like to hear any shootout impressions of any SS amp vs the SPL duo. 

In my experience with other SS amps (and without mentioning brand names), the SPLs stand out for, transparency, balance, and long listening sessions without any ear fatigue.

I also find out other amps to have more treble energy... and some people think because of that it sounds better, some other amps still using the NE5532 and have a roll-off treble, in this case people think is more natural sounding. For me the SPL's are in the middle, but because the transparency level, maybe some will consider the SPL's on the bright side.

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #613 of 706
In my experience with other SS amps (and without mentioning brand names), the SPLs stand out for, transparency, balance, and long listening sessions without any ear fatigue.

I also find out other amps to have more treble energy... and some people think because of that it sounds better, some other amps still using the NE5532 and have a roll-off treble, in this case people think is more natural sounding. For me the SPL's are in the middle, but because the transparency level, maybe some will consider the SPL's on the bright side.
Well said!

Mar 13, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #615 of 706
Anyone use these with a pair of TH900s? I've read from dukesd that the synergy isn't there. Just wanted to see if others had tried this combo and what their impressions are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back