SPL Phonitor Impressions Thread
Mar 8, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #586 of 706
Quote:

The SPL's trademark '120V' technology smooth the sounds in a way that you'll hear from high end tubes, and this is why some claim that the sound of Phonitor remind them a high end tubes. BTW, I was impressed with the Bottlehead amps.

So basically I should just get them all?  You're not helping!  
size]

The one thing I like about the SPLs is that volume knob. I know it may seem silly, but I miss having a really smooth knob for volume control.

Mar 8, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #587 of 706
Quote:

size]

The one thing I like about the SPLs is that volume knob. I know it may seem silly, but I miss having a really smooth knob for volume control.

I didn't say you should get them all... just one SPL , and one Bottlehead.
tongue_smile.gif
BTW, the knob feel smooth on both SPL's (I hope this helped a bit more).   

Mar 8, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #588 of 706
Quote:

size]

The volume knob is one of the best, if not the best, of all the gear that I've tried. Really amazing engineering went into these amps.

Mar 8, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #589 of 706
Lol!  Unfortunately, I don't have a ton of higher impedance headphones. Are there any headphones you consider real winners with this amp? I hear really mixed things about the HD800, which may end up being my next purchase. 

But after spending 5 months with a burson soloist (and a stepped attenuator) I am ready for a smooth knob!

Quote:

I didn't say you should get them all... just one SPL , and one Bottlehead.
tongue_smile.gif
BTW, the knob feel smooth on both SPL's (I hope this helped a bit more).   

Quote:
The volume knob is one of the best, if not the best, of all the gear that I've tried. Really amazing engineering went into these amps.

Mar 8, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #590 of 706
Quote:
Lol!  Unfortunately, I don't have a ton of higher impedance headphones. But after spending 5 months with a burson soloist (and a stepped attenuator) I am ready for a smooth knob!

I feel your pain since I use the Burson HA-160 as my primary amp for the TH900s and I really dislike the stepped attenuator, even if it has the added benefits.

Mar 8, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #591 of 706
Quote:
I feel your pain since I use the Burson HA-160 as my primary amp for the TH900s and I really dislike the stepped attenuator, even if it has the added benefits.

Sometimes I would change the volume without realizing my D7000 were plugged in. Could make me jump out of my chair sometimes. I understand the benefits, but that popping.... *shivers*

Are there any real winners with this amp in terms of headphones? 

Edit: Also any experience with the low impedance high current headphones like orthodynamics? 

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #592 of 706
Quote:

Sometimes I would change the volume without realizing my D7000 were plugged in. Could make me jump out of my chair sometimes. I understand the benefits, but that popping.... *shivers*

Edit: Also any experience with the low impedance high current headphones like orthodynamics? 

HD 800 is absolutely amazing on this amp. I am listening to it now. Like Acix said, the thing sounds like a tube amp with the benefits of SS amp.

Mar 8, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #593 of 706
Hi,

I find that the HD600 sounds amazing with the Auditor. It sounds snappy. No need for $2,000 amps for this headphone. Even the Violectric V100 drives them well.

I also find the T1 to sound great. This amp is made for 600Ohm headphones so the T1 will benefit the most as would vintage AKG K240's. Those K240's are a pain to amp well.

As for orthos, I thought the LCD-2 and HE-400 sounded kinda washed out on the Auditor. This sucker doesn't have a lot of current output.

Quote:

Mar 8, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #594 of 706
Quote:
Hi,

I find that the HD600 sounds amazing with the Auditor. It sounds snappy. No need for $2,000 amps for this headphone. Even the Violectric V100 drives them well.

I also find the T1 to sound great. This amp is made for 600Ohm headphones so the T1 will benefit the most as would vintage AKG K240's. Those K240's are a pain to amp well.

As for orthos, I thought the LCD-2 and HE-400 sounded kinda washed out on the Auditor. This sucker doesn't have a lot of current output.

Are u 100% asbout that? I am just asking -- not trying to be passive aggressive -- because I think I was that the phonitor has decent current reserves. Could you tell us how you've come to your conclusion. Again, I am just trying to learn -- I am not calling you out. Thanks. 

Mar 8, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #595 of 706
Quote:
Hi,

Quote:
Are u 100% asbout that? I am just asking -- not trying to be passive aggressive -- because I think I was that the phonitor has decent current reserves. Could you tell us how you've come to your conclusion. Again, I am just trying to learn -- I am not calling you out. Thanks. 

Yea! What that guy said ^  Except I'm calling you out!@!!!! 
size]

Since you're in the know on this, and I have 0 clue, could you attach a resistor in line with an orthodynamic headphone? Let's say a 450ohm resistor to get closer to the 1.7W it can do at max? 

Mar 9, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #596 of 706
Quote:
Hi,

Hehehe, I had the V-100...and I so much prefer the Phonitor and his functions. I've try the HE-500 with the Auditor the current output was enough, I just didn't like this type of sound.

Mar 9, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #597 of 706
I have owned the Auditor for over 6 months now and its being fed by my Reference 5.2 DAC.  The Auditor synergies with my K501's and HE-500's beautifully.  It has this way of putting a grip on all frequencies and tightens them up, making your headphones sound precise, and without any colouration being added.  You get the RAW result.
My impressions of the HE-500s on the Auditor and ROC SA being fed by Ref 5.2 DAC can be found in this thread.  The whole frequency spectrum is so well balanced, nothing stands out like a sore thumb that needs to be tamed or changed.  I truly adore this combination

My personal belief is that the Auditor is a very transparent amp, not adding any colour to the sound, so what you are hearing is what your DAC and transport are producing.  If the synergy is not there, I wouldn't be looking at the amp for answers.

Mar 9, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #598 of 706
They sound wonderful with the HD600s up to the HD800s. I also use the Phonitor with the HE-6s which sounds decent enough but definitely not enough current to drive them properly for orchestra pieces. They do push the HE-6s well for dubstep and electronica music though, surprisingly enough.

I love everything about this amp except the silver brushed aluminum plate always gets these scratches when my fingernail brushes over it. It's easy enough to wipe off but it's annoying. Just a nitpick. :p

Mar 9, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #599 of 706
Quote:
I have owned the Auditor for over 6 months now and its being fed by my Reference 5.2 DAC.  The Auditor synergies with my K501's and HE-500's beautifully.  It has this way of putting a grip on all frequencies and tightens them up, making your headphones sound precise, and without any colouration being added.  You get the RAW result.
My impressions of the HE-500s on the Auditor and ROC SA being fed by Ref 5.2 DAC can be found in this thread.  The whole frequency spectrum is so well balanced, nothing stands out like a sore thumb that needs to be tamed or changed.  I truly adore this combination

My personal belief is that the Auditor is a very transparent amp, not adding any colour to the sound, so what you are hearing is what your DAC and transport are producing.  If the synergy is not there, I wouldn't be looking at the amp for answers.

Quote:
They sound wonderful with the HD600s up to the HD800s. I also use the Phonitor with the HE-6s which sounds decent enough but definitely not enough current to drive them properly for orchestra pieces. They do push the HE-6s well for dubstep and electronica music though, surprisingly enough.

I love everything about this amp except the silver brushed aluminum plate always gets these scratches when my fingernail brushes over it. It's easy enough to wipe off but it's annoying. Just a nitpick. :p

You guys are killing me! Just as I had written off this amp, you come along and say it plays well with orthos!  

Mar 9, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #600 of 706
Quote:

exactly! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back