SPL Phonitor Impressions Thread
Oct 8, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #526 of 706
Quote:

The cheapest way to experience crossfeed is to plug your headphone to a Hometheatre receiver, switch between Stereo and then DTS or 5.1 (or something).
At least when I use for watching movie, I prefer 5.1 setting 90% of the time. 
It brings the scene in front of you, close to Cinema experience while Stereo is more Left and Right experience.
I can't say much for music as my receiver is not audiophile enough so I never listen music from them. 
For now, I am still happy with my 2 channel headphone amp, I never try a good crossfeed like Phonitor at home so I can't comment much on this.

Worth it? try with receiver first see if it worth $600 for you.

The Phonitor is not a DSP gimmick, is all about analog...  maybe this video will help you understand better.

Oct 8, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #527 of 706
Hey,

Honestly I use both Redline Monitor and the Bauer DSP, and it sound nearly the same as the Phonitor's circuit. I had ample time with the Phonitor and say if you want to get a crossfeed that sounds almost the same as the Phonitor, you should use these both in conjunction. It's not 100% the same but very close. So if the same effect can be obtained for much less cash and sound almost the same, then it's a plus to me.

As fr the receiver, I use a NAD T747 and it supports Dolby Headphone. In fact it's DH is better than on the Astro Mixamp. I just can't stand using that surround feature on headphones as it congests the sound. Everything sound swirled together in a blur. I don't like Dolby Headphone, so I run it in stereo mode.

Quote:
The cheapest way to experience crossfeed is to plug your headphone to a Hometheatre receiver, switch between Stereo and then DTS or 5.1 (or something).
At least when I use for watching movie, I prefer 5.1 setting 90% of the time. 
It brings the scene in front of you, close to Cinema experience while Stereo is more Left and Right experience.
I can't say much for music as my receiver is not audiophile enough so I never listen music from them. 
For now, I am still happy with my 2 channel headphone amp, I never try a good crossfeed like Phonitor at home so I can't comment much on this.

Worth it? try with receiver first see if it worth $600 for you.

Oct 9, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #528 of 706
I agree DSP Surround mode sound hollow and all. I never listen to music through my DSP receiver amp anyway, only for movies it has the needed effect to bring the action in front of you instead of left and right.

I believe Phonitor has a better effect than my 'normal' home theatre DSP processing, I'm just sayin that the cheaper alternative to experience crossfeed is using what you have, in my case is the HT receiver.

Oct 16, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #532 of 706
yeah i chatted with a guy about power this week...at least with power amps it seems a must. He even advocates audiophile powerblocks.
But this was for a 100,000 quid naim speaker system he has in in shop! I have heard that DACs like Zodiac really benefit from audiophile grade PSUs...but power cords maybe too.  

Oct 16, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #533 of 706
btw how often do you guys open up your dacs and amps and give them a blow out with some air in a can? I am in a relatively dusty room. 
Seems i wipe my stuff off daily. 

Oct 16, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #534 of 706
I have a custom made silver plated pins Schuko power cable, shielded but I don't notice any difference.

Oct 16, 2012 at 6:18 AM Post #535 of 706
Quote:
btw how often do you guys open up your dacs and amps and give them a blow out with some air in a can? I am in a relatively dusty room. 
Seems i wipe my stuff off daily. 

I definitely should do this. I have an air filter in my room, but there is still tons of dust floating around. The pains of living net to a main road I guess.

Nov 28, 2012 at 4:53 AM Post #537 of 706
I've added the following Phonitor/Auditor owners to the roll in the OP. If I missed you or if you'd like to be listed, add a reply in this thread. For me, the interesting thing about the Phonitor is that it grows on you. I use a lot of different gear, and it's only when I return to the Phonitor that I really appreciate its transparency, speed, power, accuracy, and ability to separate, isolate, reposition. It doesn't jump out at you because it does it so easily, naturally, so it's almost as if it's not there. But I notice it, especially when I've been on the iPhone-Klipsch S4 tandem for most of the day.

34. daniel_hokkaido: Auditor

35. Jamiee: Phonitor

36. TWIFOSP: Phonitor

37. Timmyw: Phonitor

38. madbull: Phonitor --My Phonitor has arrived and is making the LCD-2 really sing. I don't even miss my Orpheus with that combo!! Makes me wanna upgrade to the LCD-3. I'm listening to some Haydn symphonies through Phonitor and HD800 and everything is great, imaging is next to perfection with the Xfeed on. It really feels like I'm the theater, sitting at third row. Really amazing.

39. rxs0: Phonitor

40. Parula: Phonitor

41. dukeskd: Phonitor - the crossfeed really makes the music more realistic in so many ways. I also love to listen to acoustic albums, Jimmy Page - David Coverdale, etc.

Hi there

Ordered an Auditor and M1 DAC today !

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #538 of 706
Hi, teddytejero. I just added you to the list. Please keep us posted on your experiences with the Auditor and M1 DAC, positives or negatives. If you have any questions, fire away. We can't promise you answers, but we're a diverse lot and may be able to help.

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #540 of 706
I got Phonitor few weeks ago.  In fact, I dont know much about amp and CAS.  I just get started to invest this to enjoy music.  I tried several different amp but really like how it sounds.  First time, I tried Phonitor and I really feel that sounds out from Phonitor is what I am looking for.  Everything is very clear to me.  

It is very nice to see this thread and looking forward to understanding how to make use of the crossfeed and Center function. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back