SPL Phonitor Impressions Thread
Aug 13, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #287 of 706

Quote:

Really nice amp.
Got my Auditor yesterday to pair with my ps1000's.
What source you using St3ve?

Thanks Harj,

Congrats on the Auditor - How does it sound with grados?

My source is Lavry DA11 DAC being fed by optical from my Macbook Pro. The material itself is generally a mix of apple lossless, 320 mp3, 256 AAC and Spotify HQ.

Aug 13, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #288 of 706
That looks like 3 UK SPL users in a row.

Just for the record, I am using three sources for my Phonitor.
1  MacBook Pro via Firewire to Apogee Duet with Cardas RCA to XLR converter to Phonitor
2  MBP via toslink to Sonosax SX DA-2 with Balanced out to Phonitor
3  Cyrus DVD7 Q-Dac to RCA/XLR as above.

Which do I prefer?  The Sonosax!

Why?  I have never heard a DAC like it and the Phonitor laps up all it delivers.

I'm an hour away from Nottingham if harj wants to give the Sonosax a try.
Away for the next week in Liverpool though. Sonosax will work on it's own whilst away!

Enjoy your Phonitor setups.

Sceptre

Aug 29, 2010 at 6:59 AM Post #289 of 706
Does anybody else find themselves constantly changing the cross-feed knob based on the music genre they listen to?  I have to change it to a smaller angle (22/30 deg) and increased crossfeed (5) for a more intimate upfront presentation when say I'm listening to small band, quartet or bossa nova.  If I'm listening to live concerts or a piano concerto per say where there is a lot of instrumentation I prefer to place myself further back and place the the angle at say 55 deg.  and set the crossfeed to 3.  For trance/electronic I turn it off altogether.

Sep 5, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #290 of 706

Quote:
Does anybody else find themselves constantly changing the cross-feed knob based on the music genre they listen to?  I have to change it to a smaller angle (22/30 deg) and increased crossfeed (5) for a more intimate upfront presentation when say I'm listening to small band, quartet or bossa nova.  If I'm listening to live concerts or a piano concerto per say where there is a lot of instrumentation I prefer to place myself further back and place the the angle at say 55 deg.  and set the crossfeed to 3.  For trance/electronic I turn it off altogether.

I actually tend to keep it set in more-or-less the same position (CF:4, SA: 75), but I do find myself tweaking the centre level setting (can't quite make my mind up on either -1.2 or -0.9). I guess I have just got really used to that presentation. I am absolutely loving having a solid centre image!

I have had my phonitor for about a month now, and I love it. It really grips my HD800s, and has added a really pleasing 'weight' (for want of a better term) to the bass and low mids. The crossfeed is absolutely outstanding. I really want to try some other 'phones on it, and could do with some good closed jobbies - I am a bit gutted to see that the new Beyer T5p is 32 ohms, as I have heard that the phonitor is optimised for 600ohm. Anyone use their phonitor/auditor with low impedance 'phones?

Sep 26, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #292 of 706

Quote:
Looks like an amazing amp. I'm a little confused though, whats the point of having balanced inputs when the hp out is se? Sorry if this has been asked already.

I'm thinking because its made for studio monitoring (although the black one is made for hifi but still based on the original studio version), In studios longer length cables are used (if needed) and XLR provides longer lengths at no or much less signal loss (compared to unbalanced cables). 

Congratz on the amps, both of you, I like that black version the most. Interesting how high you have your volume set, Steve. I have mine always at 8 o'clock, any higher than that and my ears start to hurt. Its probably because I don't have a crossfeed ->longer signal path or it could just be the crossfeed settings reduce the loudness.

kindest regards, Peter

Sep 30, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #293 of 706

Quote:
Congratz on the amps, both of you, I like that black version the most. Interesting how high you have your volume set, Steve. I have mine always at 8 o'clock, any higher than that and my ears start to hurt. Its probably because I don't have a crossfeed ->longer signal path or it could just be the crossfeed settings reduce the loudness.

kindest regards, Peter

Thanks Peter, She's a Beaut. It's interesting what you say about the volume; the Auditor must output louder than the Phonitor, probably for the reasons you mentioned. Generally where I have mine set (between -24 and -19) tends to output around the 75-80db mark, which is the volume I tend to listen at. 8 o'clock is much quieter than I would generally listen at (according to my iPhone SPL meter app that seems to amount to ~60db), certainly not ear-hurt territory for me.

Quote:
Looks like an amazing amp. I'm a little confused though, whats the point of having balanced inputs when the hp out is se? Sorry if this has been asked already.

Much as Peter said, balanced transmission is the norm in the pro environment (SPL's usual market), where signal loss is unacceptable. Personally, I find it is really handy to have a balanced pass-through, as it allows me to have my monitors after the amp, with no quality degradation that I can hear.

Sep 30, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #294 of 706
I have recently made xlr to rca cables and they work really great with auditor (passive passthrough), no hiss what-so-ever- dead silent.

Oct 19, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #295 of 706

Quote:
... Anyone use their phonitor/auditor with low impedance 'phones?

[size=medium]
Paring with a low 36 ohms SE530, the Phonitor is unusable. Audible humming can clearly be heard even when the volume dial is set to its lowest setting of -80.

Couple with the 40 ohms ATH-W5000, there is the tiniest but audible hum when the volume dial is turned to 0 (with DIMM switched on), but is quite acceptable as that dial doesn't normally go past -19.

With the 50ohms LCD-2, it is perfectly black.
[/size]

Jan 3, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #296 of 706
Hello fellow head-fiers

Will some one here measure the dimension of black SPL Phonitor for me?  I need to know the dimension of the encasing excluding the handle, volume knobs, and the plugs at the back to see if it fits in my small rack.
I sent an email to SPL-USA yesterday but their response was very unprofessional and didn't even care to measure the product for me.  I would really appreciate if someone here can give me number.

Thanks!

Jan 4, 2011 at 4:24 AM Post #297 of 706
edit: got a very detailed *and* friendly email back from SPL Germany.  Many thanks to them, much better customer service than US devision 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #298 of 706
Hey DC5Zilla how long did it take for SPL Germany to get back to you? I messaged them end of December and no word back yet?

I'm trying to find out the type of fuse UK/EU members received when they got their units. For example the manual and chasis say 500ma but my Phonitor had a 315ma fuse from the factory.

Would be very interested to see what other users have, i believe people running off 120v have a 1amp fuse.

Jan 4, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #299 of 706
I emailed SPL Germany yesterday and Mr. Lentzen from Customer Support gave me a promt reply in a very good manner.  They might have missed your email?  Perhaps You should try sending them a message again. 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 10, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #300 of 706
Has anyone tried Phonitor with Apogee Duet 2 with thier Mac (iMac or MBP)? How it sounds with HD 800? I am about to pull the trigger on RME ADI-2 but wondering what would be the best option to go for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back