SPL Phonitor Impressions Thread
Mar 18, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #691 of 706
Indeed, you don't have to use DIM switch. Although XC having low impedance, efficiency isn't that much generally spoken. You can't compare with low impedance like Grado for example...

Mar 18, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #692 of 706
  Just bought myself a secondhand SPL Phonitor 2730 amp to play a little with the Crossfeed functions. With LCD-X great partnership! Listening to Fink at the moment - spacious, "speakerlike" presentation :wink: A surprising amp worth investing to complement my Tube-headphoneamp.

Gonna play again with settings to find optimal setup...

Despite having bought this amp recently - I have to let this beauty go, because my wife thinks (and to be honest me also :wink:) my headphone-rig is getting to large...
I have to make choices - and I won't sell my Studio Six!

Sep 22, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #693 of 706
New to the Phonitor club here!

Bought a very gently used 2730B (serial number 93000**) on the weekend. In perfect nick and complete with original packaging. Being stuck here in sunny South Africa means the market for these toys is very small ... hence I paid much less than the going international price :)

My system is:

Dell i7 --> USB cable --> NAD D1050 / NuPrime uDSD (battery-pack powered) --> Balanced XLR --> Phonitor --> Senn HD600 / HD540 Reference Gold / HD800 (still in transit) / Grado SR60i

Hugely impressed with this masterful amp I am! Waiting for the HD800's to arrive ... will have to be absolutely stunning to better the synergy with the HD600's ...

Sep 22, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #694 of 706
Scubadude,

Welcome to the club! Like you, I bought mine used and have been happy with it. I use mine with my HD800s and occasionally with my Audeze XCs.
Are you saying that the headphone market in South Africa is small because the weather is so nice, and everyone would rather be outside enjoying the weather? Well, here in New England USA there isn't enough sunshine with plenty of snow starting typically in December until March. The upside is that there is time for my toys...

Sep 22, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #695 of 706
Scubadude,

Welcome to the club! Like you, I bought mine used and have been happy with it. I use mine with my HD800s and occasionally with my Audeze XCs.

Are you saying that the headphone market in South Africa is small because the weather is so nice, and everyone would rather be outside enjoying the weather? Well, here in New England USA there isn't enough sunshine with plenty of snow starting typically in December until March. The upside is that there is time for my toys...

Thanks for the welcome!

Well a combination of factors ... weather is one thing, but also our population is about one eighth that the of the USA and GDP per capita also about one eighth that of the USA. So much fewer people and even less with disposable income for exotic toys. Can't be more than a handful of Phonitors in South Africa ... I know of about six units (excluding the Mini).

Apr 16, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #697 of 706
My current rig is Concero HD > Liquid Carbon > Noble 8C and thinking about building a new HD800S rig.  I've never heard Phonitor before but do do those "matrix" settings make your headphone sounds like a speaker?  If so, I really need to start saving money for the new Phonitor X... :D

Apr 17, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #698 of 706
My current rig is Concero HD > Liquid Carbon > Noble 8C and thinking about building a new HD800S rig.  I've never heard Phonitor before but do do those "matrix" settings make your headphone sounds like a speaker?  If so, I really need to start saving money for the new Phonitor X... :D

Not exactly. This works very delicate. Rather to make less ear fatigue than to simulate speakers. It is also very headphone dependent ( in scale of influence )

Oct 23, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #699 of 706
Xlr input on my phonitor 2730 is loose. Anyone else had similar issues with phonitor or other gear with xlr inputs? I could live with the loose connection. Even if I wiggle the cables there is no sound cut out or channel imbalance. Thing is I have to downgrade my system so I would like to fix the problem before selling my amp. Any way to fix it? I've tested the connector with two different set of cables, both with neutrik connectors.

I'm the second owner of the amplifier and I think it was like this when I got it. So maybe the connection is supposed to wobble a bit?

Oct 8, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #700 of 706
Hello,

Anyone have schematics for the 2730?

Im having a bit of problems with the jack and wanted to see if I can replace the IC.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 9:54 PM Post #701 of 706
Finally got rid of the intermittent fizz/crackling that really annoyed me with the original Phonitor 2730B - I eventually came to the conclusion that it may be connected with start up and track changes of the external Pioneer CD/DVD/Blu-ray drive. Put a ferrite bead on the USB cable between the drive and the dock....and....noises begone! Most headphone amps filtered out the noise, but the Phonitor needed a less contaminated feed. Cost - about 50c.
It's a superb amp even without the crosstalk, speaker angle and central image alterations. Fortunately, I got mine years ago for AUS$1000 when the Phonitor 2 was released. IMHO, it looks better than the Phonitor 2, as the VU meters are symmetrical about the giant volume control.

Aug 4, 2022 at 12:57 AM Post #702 of 706
Finally got rid of the intermittent fizz/crackling that really annoyed me with the original Phonitor 2730B - I eventually came to the conclusion that it may be connected with start up and track changes of the external Pioneer CD/DVD/Blu-ray drive. Put a ferrite bead on the USB cable between the drive and the dock....and....noises begone! Most headphone amps filtered out the noise, but the Phonitor needed a less contaminated feed. Cost - about 50c.
It's a superb amp even without the crosstalk, speaker angle and central image alterations. Fortunately, I got mine years ago for AUS$1000 when the Phonitor 2 was released. IMHO, it looks better than the Phonitor 2, as the VU meters are symmetrical about the giant volume control.
Scratch the above - the intermittent noise is still there, more so with low impedance headphones. It was almost inaudible with Beyerdynamic T1 Gen 2 (600 ohms). Currently trying using the Dim switch and higher volume control setting. I'll get back to this thread if anything positive comes of it.It's such a beautiful piece of gear, I just can't bin it.

Aug 4, 2022 at 12:58 AM Post #703 of 706
Using much lower impedance phones now than the above Beyerdynamic T1 Gen. 2 (see the signature) except for the Mysphere 3.2 (110 Ohms).

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2022 at 6:18 AM Post #704 of 706
The original Phonitor is rather nice with AKG K812 headphones, despite their low impedance. The Phonitor was a real ground breaker at the time it was issued, and paired they have some magic happening. Currently feeding it all with the fixed DAC output of the Burson Conductor 3X Reference.

Mar 14, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #705 of 706
That intermittent noise in the Phonitor 2730 is mono (i.e. the sound is centred between my eyes) and appears to be more of a problem with low impedance headphones. It's more audible with Beyerdynamic T1 Gen. 3 (32 Ohms)/AKG K812 (36 Ohms) than the Beyerdynamic T1 Gen. 2 (600 Ohms)/Focal Utopia (80 Ohms)/Mysphere 3.2 (110 Ohms). I wish there was a simple fix for this apart from using higher impedance headphones. It's still a great headphone amplifier.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back