SPL Phonitor Impressions Thread
May 14, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #677 of 706
As for orthos, I thought the LCD-2 and HE-400 sounded kinda washed out on the Auditor. This sucker doesn't have a lot of current output.

This amp has a lot of current. Enough for both orthos in my sig. I listen on 8.30 with HE-4 and on 8 o'clock with HE-500. I tried a speaker amp and didn't get anything more, only less in terms f transparency.
I have my Auditor and Ref5 always on since a couple days ago and now the sound is even better.

I noticed one interesting thing today - when I connect cables to passive output the Auditor is about 20% quieter. Just cables, nothing on the other side and even if its connected to something its still quieter. Weird that I only noticed this now after 4 years.

May 15, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #678 of 706
My impressions mirror .Sup's.  When switching from the Auditor to the ROC SA, I do not notice any more "drivability" of my HE-500's, only a different presentation.

The power 'arms race' at HF is extremely exaggerated.

Dec 4, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #679 of 706
Not many posts here lately...so I thought I would post to keep the thread alive :wink:

Still loving my Auditor after about a year and a half.  Paired up with an Audio-gd Master 7 and Beyerdynamic T1.

The SPL is a nice extremely solid piece of gear.

Feb 17, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #680 of 706
Just bought myself a secondhand SPL Phonitor 2730 amp to play a little with the Crossfeed functions. With LCD-X great partnership! Listening to Fink at the moment - spacious, "speakerlike" presentation :wink: A surprising amp worth investing to complement my Tube-headphoneamp.

Gonna play again with settings to find optimal setup...

Feb 17, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #681 of 706
  Just bought myself a secondhand SPL Phonitor 2730 amp to play a little with the Crossfeed functions. With LCD-X great partnership! Listening to Fink at the moment - spacious, "speakerlike" presentation :wink: A surprising amp worth investing to complement my Tube-headphoneamp.

Sounds great.  I have the Auditor and would love a try with the Phonitor crossfeed.

Try your Phonitor with your T1.  They work very well together.

Feb 17, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #682 of 706
  Sounds great.  I have the Auditor and would love a try with the Phonitor crossfeed.

Hi PeterCraig,

Thanks, I'm gonna try my T1 tonight. I did hear the Auditor also. Same soundsignature. But Crossfeed makes listening even more fun.... I can't say - drop by :wink: Sorry!

Feb 18, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #683 of 706

Confirmed. I use this combination since August 2014 and I’m very happy with it:

SPL Phonitor 2, serial #: 14.1281.00101
Beyerdynamic T1, serial #: 5902

Werner.

Feb 18, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #684 of 706
Hi Werner,

Indeed I did try the Phonitor with T1. Great (technical) combo I think... Compared to my tube amp music has less sparkles - but Crossfeed bring different presentation! As said, I think it's a good extension of my Headfi collection :wink:

Feb 18, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #685 of 706
[…] Compared to my tube amp music has less sparkles […]

That’s true, but the detail resolution, the layering, the perspective and the effortless dynamics of the SPL Phonitor 2 are unmatched by any other headphone amplifier I own. The Schiit Valhalla sounds very fine, at first glance the Schiit Lyr has a lot of power, but sometimes tends to sound a little bit rough.

Feb 18, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #686 of 706

That’s true, but the detail resolution, the layering, the perspective and the effortless dynamics of the SPL Phonitor 2 are unmatched by any other headphone amplifier I own. The Schiit Valhalla sounds very fine, at first glance the Schiit Lyr has a lot of power, but sometimes tends to sound a little bit rough.

Agree :wink:! I don't know how Phonitor I compares to the Phonitor 2, but i do regonize your description!

Mar 17, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #690 of 706

I just bought a 2nd-hand phonitor as well.  I bought it to pair with my HD800, but it does sound great with my LCD-XCs as well.  Earlier posts in this thread hint that the Phonitor does not play well with low impedance HP, but it sounds good.  No hiss or any unwanted noise.  I don't even have the DIM switch on the '-20' setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back