Spiral Ear Custom IEMs - WOW! Very first impressions.
Dec 4, 2010 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

jeycam

100+ Head-Fier
I'm just going to listen to the SE 3-way Reference, the universal model, today. Any opinions on these, any tips on what to care about? The source is going to be my HDP hooked up to MBP. I can't wait!

Here are these cuties: http://www.spiralear.com/en/products/se3-reference/
They are similiar to ACS T1, but hopefully, as I heard, much better.

Dec 5, 2010 at 4:46 AM Post #2 of 20
I'm ready  to give you some impressions! I spent like 1h with universal model yesterday, which is said to be like 50% of the custom one and well - wow, just wow. The sound signature is pretty balanced and very smooth. Soundstage pretty much resembles this of Denon's D5000, definitely better than IE8's, much bigger and realistic. Bass is the best bass I've ever heard, especially from HDP - better than D5000's, very fast, detailed, but powerful. Mids and highs were very detailed and smooth, but pretty depending on the source and song - guess that this is this class of phones where these things matters. The best synergy was with the owners' iRiver iHP `and RSA Tomahawk combo, very balanced and truly reference sound. With HDP  the bass was better, but overall signature was more laid back, like IE8 or HD650. With iPhone 4 they certainly hadn't got enough power, I haven't managed to listen to this set for more than a minute. For me - I'm more than happy, will probably have to change the source, but well - these are awesome pair of IEMs and will definitely get them as soon as I get money.

Dec 14, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #4 of 20
Looks like one of the former ACS's employees from Poland decided to go solo. The design is slightly different from the T1 though, notably the sound bores (2 for ACS, 3 for Spiral Ear). If that was actually a former employee from ACS, it's possible they are using a slightly tweaked design just to avoid the liability issue. For that price I would go for the original however.

Dec 17, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #6 of 20
@Frenchbat - I'd also be worried about the cable. It looks to be supported by a metal wire inside a SOFT silicon body and I have no idea how it connects to the crossover network. If it's not deeply knotted, it will be a support nightmare, and if there really is a metal support wire inside, it will probably cause the silicon to rupture. I hope they thought of these things. If so, it could be an interesting earphone, though the idea of smaller sound tubes to support the three drivers is not that happy of a thought.

Dec 25, 2010 at 8:28 AM Post #7 of 20

Quote:
Looks like one of the former ACS's employees from Poland decided to go solo. The design is slightly different from the T1 though, notably the sound bores (2 for ACS, 3 for Spiral Ear). If that was actually a former employee from ACS, it's possible they are using a slightly tweaked design just to avoid the liability issue. For that price I would go for the original however.

As far as I know, the owner indeed is a former ACS employee. I'm not sure, but I think that References use other drivers and crossover than T1, that's what I understood from my talk with the owner. I believe that the only similarity to T1 is the construction.

Quote:
@Frenchbat - I'd also be worried about the cable. It looks to be supported by a metal wire inside a SOFT silicon body and I have no idea how it connects to the crossover network. If it's not deeply knotted, it will be a support nightmare, and if there really is a metal support wire inside, it will probably cause the silicon to rupture. I hope they thought of these things. If so, it could be an interesting earphone, though the idea of smaller sound tubes to support the three drivers is not that happy of a thought.

I guess the wiring isn't a problem - I know at least a few happy owners of these IEMs and there are not any problems with them. Well, there was one - the owner of 2-way Customs found only, once he came back to his home, the cable - IEMs have been eaten by his dog. Could you explain me what's wrong with the sound tubes? I'm whining between them and ES3X...

Jan 9, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #8 of 20

Look like they just mold the westone ES cable in the shell directly.

Jan 20, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #9 of 20
I own the monitors in question: SE 3-way Reference and thought I’d register (long time reader though) and share some impressions with you. I am a musician and a homegrown music producer, but first of all a music lover!

I was the owner of UE-10Pro for about two years till they came apart on me…Then I had ordered ACS T1’s, but I had to send them back for repair not that long ago and in the meantime I’ve decided to bite the bullet and get some Spiral Ears. I knew nothing about them till recently and it’s been only a recommendation from a well-known Polish musician which got me interested in these monitors.
A friend of mine, a musician as well, has T1’s and once he tried comparing the two: my 3-way Ref and his T1’s. It might not be a fair comparison, but due to the silicone nature of the monitors it was possible for him to achieve a good isolation and a decent fit. Maybe our ear canals are not that different after all:wink:. Anyway, my opinion is that SE’s are definitely better than T1’s; in every regard sonically apart from fit and isolation, which are the same to my ears, to be fair- both way better than acrylics. The dynamics, instrument separation, soundstage, transients and the whole sound spectrum: the bass, the mids and the highs. T1’s are still very good overall but in direct comparison you can feel that 3-way Ref seem to be more natural sounding, though the attack/decay ratio of the two monitors seems to be more or less the same.
My friend is getting his hands on those monitors as soon as possible as he had said and I definitely do recommend giving them a try. And yes, even the universal version can blow one away. I had ordered these after listening to the universals first. As jaycam said, it truly is a reference sound for me.   

I had been corresponding with Spiral Ear before ordering the monitors and they have been a great help. From what I know, the design is different from ACS in every aspect. The only similarity is in using silicone, which I personally prefer to acrylic models, both from ACS and SE. I’ve decided on custom transparent black, which is also different as offered by Spiral Ear. The electronics, as I was told, is different from top to bottom, not to mention the crossover network and acoustic solutions.
I have ordered the monitors about a month ago and there is no problem with the cable and silicone body as far as I can tell now, if anyone’s worried about it. You can feel that it’s deeply and well anchored inside the earpiece.

BTW, I have the newest version with improved highs.

Jan 29, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #10 of 20
Thank you for your review keynote! Are there any more opinions on these monitors, yet? From your opinion they seem to be very promising. Since I'm also located in Germany I'm willing to pull the trigger on these, or at least get to audition universal versions if possible and then decide. Much appreciated if anyone can share some more opinions, please.

Apr 9, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #11 of 20
popcorn.gif

Apr 9, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #12 of 20
Price: 800 €
* Price of the product does not include shipping costs.
Dość sporo

Apr 19, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #14 of 20
new SE 5-way Reference  seems to be real top of the custom iem world...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back