Specific CANS for very specific needs.
Aug 2, 2012 at 4:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

manxys

New Head-Fier
Hello, I know there is a recommendation mega-thread, but I have a need to compare a list of specific headphones on how they meet specific needs.

I invite the onwers of the listed headphones to give comments. If you own one of these headphones, can you tell me how your headphones cope with the situations described below. I am not willing to use amplifier.

Headphones:

1. KRK KNS 8400
2. HD 25-1
3. Beyerdynamic DT770
4. AT ATH-AD700
5. AKG K271 MKII
6. AKG K240 II
7. Shure SRH840
8. Grado SR-80i
9. Denon D1100
10. AT ATH-M50
11. V-moda/Crossfade M-80

I want to make a thread to discuss CANS that are in 80-180$ range

Played on:

1. Smartphone

2. iPod Classic 5G

3. Laptop

Played for:

4. 80s Rock / Pop / Classical Music

5. Movies with HQ audio track

Played in:

6. Semi-noisy locations

7. Played in location that do not permit leaking

Aug 2, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #2 of 28
Right off the bat, cross the Grado's off your list. Great for rock, but non-isolating, and leaks heavily.

The HD25 is also very good for rock. It has punchy bass and energetic highs, and also isolates well. However it may be uncomfortable for some, as its clamping force is quite high.

Aug 2, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #3 of 28
I've heard the HD25's, K271's, M50's, and DT770's Pro's, and I think of them, the AKG K271's would best suit your needs.

The HD25's and K271's have comparable isolation (both are excellent at isolating), but I prefer the K271's sound. They have a little less bass, but the mids and highs are smoother (while still retaining a great deal of detail and energy).

The DT770 Pro's and the M50's have weaker isolation, but both are still above average. They are both on the bassier side, but the DT770 Pro's are more well rounded, thanks to their more pronounced mids. They are also much more comfortable, and have a bigger soundstage.

Between the K271's and DT770 Pro's, I prefer the K271's for most music, though the DT770 Pro's might be better for movies, since they are more comfortable. Not to say the K271's aren't comfortable though, I've put plenty of hours on them without taking breaks.

The K271's are also a little easier to power, and come with extra pack-in stuff like extra ear pads and an extra cable.

Aug 2, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #4 of 28
^^^Although I have not heard it, It sounds like the HD 25 is right up your alley. Your description seems to describe something that will be used on-the-go, have you considered IEMs?

Aug 2, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:
I want to make a thread to discuss CANS that are in 80-180$ range

Unfortunately he's not interested.
redface.gif

Aug 2, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #6 of 28
I have both the HD 25 and the D1100.  Both isolate very well, work with rock/pop and don't require an amp (though they benefit a bit from one).  I also have a DT 770 Pro, but it's the 250 ohm and that particular version is not suitable for your set up.

The HD 25s are built like a tank, have a pretty balanced and accurate sound signature, but still have decent bass.  Downsides to the HD 25 are comfort (clamping pressure on ears for many users) and a narrow soundstage.

The D1100 is more comfortable to me, but not the most comfortable around ear I have.  Soundstage is not bad for a closed headphone.  I find the bass boomy, and I like strong bass, and the midrange is not strong enough for my tastes.  These phones sound muffled to me sometimes.  They are just not a precise headphone in my opinion.

Based on reading and not personal experience, I would add the V Moda M-80 to your list.  You might also want to try the JVC HARX900 and Panasonic HTF600 - cheaper cans but punch above their weight.

Aug 2, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #7 of 28
I've only listened to HD 25-1  and M50 from the list, and stranglely enough HD25-1 was fitting fine (sure, they are on-ear), but M50 was pressing temples of my glasses too much.

Aug 2, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #8 of 28
I had IEMs, Klipsch S4, but I broke them two days ago by steping on one of the monitors. I dont want to go back to IEMs, because my ears get tired of this 'seal' feeling, I also fear IEMs has some bad impact on my hearing.

Aug 2, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #11 of 28
Out of that list, I currently own the KRK KNS 8400 and AT ATH-M50. Actually, the KRK is already sold so I'm giving it one final listen before I send it off...

Played on:
1. Smartphone
2. iPod Classic 5G
3. Laptop

Both the KRK and the ATH-M50 can be driven very well by pretty much any source. Naturally, using an amp will help them reach their top performance, but even a smartphone can drive them well enough to be enjoyable and satisfactory.

Played for:
4. 80s Rock / Pop / Classical Music
5. Movies with HQ audio track

Listening to "Intrigue In Tangiers" by The Chameleons with the KRK gives me an ethereal experience, but not really in a good way. The KRK is not capable of recreating the power that the band has and everything sounds very light and airy, with no groove. Lots of details can be heard though. The ATH-M50 fares much better as its heavy bass gives the song the propelling groove that it deserves. For movies, the KRK fares better as I can understand dialogues better and the soundstage is also better. M50 is not too bad either but its big bass does make some special effects a little louder than they should be.

Played in:
6. Semi-noisy locations
7. Played in location that do not permit leaking

I don't think either headphone would have a problem with semi-noisy locations or with a lot of leaking sound, but this naturally depends on how loud you listen to them.

Aug 2, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #12 of 28
I have owned or heard all of those except the KRK 8400...

Quote:

2. HD 25-1
3. Beyerdynamic DT770 - not easily driven by ipod
4. AT ATH-AD700 - non-isolating
5. AKG K271 MKII - not driven well by ipod... but passable
6. AKG K240 II - non-isolating
7. Shure SRH840
8. Grado SR-80i - non-isolating
9. Denon D1100
10. AT ATH-M50

The HD25 and M50 have emphasized lows and highs, with moderately scooped out mids which does not sound that great for classical though does well for rock.

The D1100 is bass sloped and a generally fun sound. Does ok for most genres though clarity could be better. The Shure 840 is similar in sound, perhaps a step up, though comfort a step down. 

The K271 has fantastic isolation and good balanced sound, but likes to have a bit more driving power behind it and is really rather large and clunky to carry around. Would you consider the smaller K171/172/etc? It's far more portable and sounds better from an ipod.

Aug 3, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #14 of 28
It's been a while since I've heard them, but from memory the K172 had more midbass thump while the K272 was more polite and cleaner overall. 

Aug 3, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:
I have owned or heard all of those except the KRK 8400...

The HD25 and M50 have emphasized lows and highs, with moderately scooped out mids which does not sound that great for classical though does well for rock.

The D1100 is bass sloped and a generally fun sound. Does ok for most genres though clarity could be better. The Shure 840 is similar in sound, perhaps a step up, though comfort a step down. 

The K271 has fantastic isolation and good balanced sound, but likes to have a bit more driving power behind it and is really rather large and clunky to carry around. Would you consider the smaller K171/172/etc? It's far more portable and sounds better from an ipod.

A V-shaped sound should be alright for low volume listening though right? At least I think so 

If he goes with the K271, would a $20 Fiio E5 be sufficient enough to drive it to good volume? Pretty cheap amp that measures extremely well for its price. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back