Speaker amps for headphones
Jun 25, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #3,781 of 3,871
AHB2 is still my personal favourite source for the Susvara.

I have other amps I prefer for other headphones, but for the Susvara the AHB2 just seems to work so damn well with it in both power and signature.
currawong seems to give master 10 pretty high score for susvara, thats what really got me hesitated. otherwise i'd already go for ahb2. btw i really enjoyed ur youtube channel,thank you!

Jun 25, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #3,782 of 3,871
I used to have an AHB2 for my headphone setup and liked it so much I wound up getting a second for monoblock config. Total overkill, and I wound up selling it during a period of pandemic unemployment... but I miss it.

Jun 25, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #3,784 of 3,871
plenty of users seems to like this combi.
It's very good.
There are lots of other amps that work very well with Sus.
CFA3, OOR+HYPSOS etc, and I've got a Zahl HM1 on the way which I think might end up dethroning AHB2 for me but I'm not gonna sell AHB2 until I've had them side by side to compare.

Sus is unfortunately a very demanding headphone in terms of source. Mostly for power, but of course for signature as well. I've only heard a few amps that actually drove them properly imo, even if they otherwise sounded good.

Jun 25, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #3,785 of 3,871
It's very good.
There are lots of other amps that work very well with Sus.
CFA3, OOR+HYPSOS etc, and I've got a Zahl HM1 on the way which I think might end up dethroning AHB2 for me but I'm not gonna sell AHB2 until I've had them side by side to compare.

Sus is unfortunately a very demanding headphone in terms of source. Mostly for power, but of course for signature as well. I've only heard a few amps that actually drove them properly imo, even if they otherwise sounded good.
I wanna try this soon. :)

Jun 25, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #3,787 of 3,871
AIRTIGHT ATM 300….I’m using this 300 B SET amp to drive my lcd 4..6 watt per channel
I have been very impressed by the Susvara ENLEUM 23. Open sound stage, amazing pinpoint placement of instruments and vocalists, black/silent background in which sound floats and punchy powerful deep base. Would love a comparison the the other amps mentioned.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #3,788 of 3,871
I have been very impressed by the Susvara ENLEUM 23. Open sound stage, amazing pinpoint placement of instruments and vocalists, black/silent background in which sound floats and punchy powerful deep base. Would love a comparison the the other Amos mentioned.
Have you had a chance to hear it with the Ferrum stack? (I haven't had a chance to demo the Enluem, and guessing these would be competing with each other so quite curious to find such a comparison)

Jul 30, 2022 at 1:24 AM Post #3,790 of 3,871
Hi all, wondering if anyone had used the Amp Camp Amp for headphones? I built one last week and am using it with my Abyss 1266 TC and LCD-x. I have a Topping A90 as the pre-amp.

So far I am loving the sound but I have a couple of questions:

1: Should I be worried about frying my headphones?
2: I have another ACA ready to build - thinking of using these as monoblocks for my headphones, will this increase my chances of frying my headphones?
3: Am I too worried about frying my headphones :) ?

I am considering replacing the A90 with a Holo Audio Serene or waiting for their new headphone amp. Another option is just moving to GSX Mini.

Any advice welcome!

Sep 21, 2022 at 7:12 AM Post #3,791 of 3,871
I am running (with 4 pin xlr) Grado PS1000é, Sennheiser HD600 and Focal Elear from a Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 amp

Sep 21, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #3,793 of 3,871
I wonder how the AHB2 compares to the ENLEUM 23 with Susvara?? Has anyone auditioned both side be side ??
I used to own a AHB2, TT2 and Ferrum stack. AHB2 is very nuetral. Slight, slight rounding of original source. I heard Enleum is very warm. Not neutral. Ferrum is nuetral/warm.

Sep 21, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #3,794 of 3,871
I use a Primaluna Prologue 4 with a Cayin IDac-6 as dac/preamp to drive more power hungry planars (Madhouse Argon and DCA AFOX) with great results. The sound stage is huge with every phone I've tried using this setup. Tonality and bass slam is also top notch.

The only negative is hiss is a little louder than I would prefer but its not that bad once the music is playing. Has anybody tried an all tube speaker amp with relatively low hiss/noise when used as a headphone amp?

Oct 13, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #3,795 of 3,871
Hi all, I thought I would give a bit of an update. I found that the Pass ACA amp was a bit rolled off and soft by itself. I have been using the GSX mini as a pre-amp. So I built the second ACA amp and now have them set up as monoblocks. It is sounding really great. Really tightened up the sound. Working really well with the 1266 TCs and the Utopias.

Here is a pic :)

IMG_9140.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back