Speaker amps for headphones
Dec 22, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #3,736 of 3,871
The Sanyo's preamp is feature-rich. But, RME ADI-2 includes a basic preamp component. Connecting it to the Sanyo's aux-in adds a second/redundant preamp in the signal path. Instead, try connecting to the Sanyo's power-in, bypassing its built-in preamp. You'll get cleaner sound and more transparency. You'll need to manage the volume from the RME as you'll forgo that control and other preamp features of the Sanyo.

Vintage receivers and integrated amps with modular preamp and amp sections can be versatile. I have those sections of my Pioneer SX-980 separately hooked up through a 4x2 RCA switch along with other separate preamps and amps. It's fun to create different signal paths, selectable by knobs, to drive headphones and speakers through various preamp/amp combinations. (I have a similar 2x2 switch to select between amps and speakers.)
How do I connect to the Sanyo's power in?

Dec 22, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #3,737 of 3,871
How do I connect to the Sanyo's power in?
I just Googled photos of that receiver, and it appears you need to remove a couple of jumpers at the back, then simply connect your preamp (or volume-controlled DAC) to the Power In jacks. None of the Sanyo's control functions will be operative in that mode aside from the speaker selectors, of course.

Dec 22, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #3,738 of 3,871
Look at the back, in the middle. You'll see two jumpers between PRE-OUT and POWER-IN. That's how the pre-amp section is connected to the power-amp section. (Lower-end receivers aren't modular this way, namely, they hardwire these distinct sections inside, thus not allowing us to use them separately.) With the Sanyo powered off, pull out both jumpers. Now, move the RCA cable from the AUX-IN to POWER-IN. Now you'll be using the Sanyo as a pure headphone amp feeding off the (preamp) output of the RME instead of the Sanyo's built-in preamp section. The same goes if you have speakers connected to the Sanyo.

Remember, you won't be able to use Sanyo's volume knob and other controls, which are primarily its preamp features. Instead, you'll have to use the RME's (digital) volume knob. Start by keeping that knob turned down, maybe around -20db, and then adjust to your taste (or else your headphones might sound too loud, either deafening you or even damaging the cans). It's no different from what you do now on the Sanyo, namely, you keep its volume knob turned down, probably around/below the 9 o'clock position.

As I hinted in my previous message, you can use the Sanyo's preamp section separately, feeding its preamp output either to its own amp section (as the two jumpers do) or to a separate amp. In either such case, you'd be able to use its knobs/controls.

Essentially, now you can use the Sanyo as a preamp, a headphone amp, and a speaker amp--three distinct functions that some people use separate devices for. Have fun.

Dec 22, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #3,739 of 3,871
Look at the back, in the middle. You'll see two jumpers between PRE-OUT and POWER-IN. That's how the pre-amp section is connected to the power-amp section. (Lower-end receivers aren't modular this way, namely, they hardwire these distinct sections inside, thus not allowing us to use them separately.) With the Sanyo powered off, pull out both jumpers. Now, move the RCA cable from the AUX-IN to POWER-IN. Now you'll be using the Sanyo as a pure headphone amp feeding off the (preamp) output of the RME instead of the Sanyo's built-in preamp section. The same goes if you have speakers connected to the Sanyo.

Remember, you won't be able to use Sanyo's volume knob and other controls, which are primarily its preamp features. Instead, you'll have to use the RME's (digital) volume knob. Start by keeping that knob turned down, maybe around -20db, and then adjust to your taste (or else your headphones might sound too loud, either deafening you or even damaging the cans). It's no different from what you do now on the Sanyo, namely, you keep its volume knob turned down, probably around/below the 9 o'clock position.

As I hinted in my previous message, you can use the Sanyo's preamp section separately, feeding its preamp output either to its own amp section (as the two jumpers do) or to a separate amp. In either such case, you'd be able to use its knobs/controls.

Essentially, now you can use the Sanyo as a preamp, a headphone amp, and a speaker amp--three distinct functions that some people use separate devices for. Have fun.
Thanks for the guidance. I may give this a try down the road. Before I saw your response, I removed the RME ADI 2 DAC and replaced it with the Ares II R2R Step Ladder DAC which sounds so much better. But it does not have a volume control like the RME does. So I would lose the ability to control volume completely, I suppose.

Dec 22, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #3,740 of 3,871
Thanks for the guidance. I may give this a try down the road. Before I saw your response, I removed the RME ADI 2 DAC and replaced it with the Ares II R2R Step Ladder DAC which sounds so much better. But it does not have a volume control like the RME does. So I would lose the ability to control volume completely, I suppose.
That Ares is a pure DAC, hence no preamp, as is the case with many similar DAC products. You need to connect it to Sanyo's AUX-IN (for volume control, at a minimum, and other preamp controls for tone management if you desire).

Also, those two jumpers need to go back in place. Alternatively, you can use an RCA stereo swich, which must be properly connected to various input/output devices. Then you can avoid dealing with those jumpers. If you take that route, consider a 4x2 switch (not a 4x1), such as SOLUPEAK ST42, which I have. Its two knobs allow easily choosing from 8 different input/output combinations.

Dec 23, 2021 at 12:28 AM Post #3,741 of 3,871
I wonder if there is a way I can re-create the sound I am getting on the ARC + pass stack with a quieter cooler running system. The Sonic Visions discord crew suggests upgrading my elekit tu8600S with better caps, elrog 300b tubes and a passive (icon4) preamp for volume control. Any ideas what I could do to recreate this amazing sound ?

Dec 23, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #3,742 of 3,871
I wonder if there is a way I can re-create the sound I am getting on the ARC + pass stack with a quieter cooler running system. The Sonic Visions discord crew suggests upgrading my elekit tu8600S with better caps, elrog 300b tubes and a passive (icon4) preamp for volume control. Any ideas what I could do to recreate this amazing sound ?
When you say "quieter", are you talking about the noise floor?

Dec 23, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #3,743 of 3,871
When you say "quieter", are you talking about the noise floor?
Yup, the stack is noisy. I can ignore it when the music starts playing but in quiet passages you can notice it.

Jan 5, 2022 at 7:17 PM Post #3,746 of 3,871
Hey i have a HD800 with violectric v281 amp, you think it will benefit if i just plug them into my speaker amp ? I already run violectric at highest gain for them.
Try it. You might very well like it, depending on your speaker amp noise floor. I run HD800 S through McIntosh 2100 w/tube preamp and they sound sublime. As someone on another thread said, these phones love good clean power. This thread has almost 4,000 posts, with very few nay-sayers.

Jan 5, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #3,747 of 3,871
Might be a dumb question but if you're running something off speaker taps, does the dac really matter?

I have the He-6 (6 screw), He6Se and He-500 that I run through a Sansui G-4500 and I use an Audio GD-NFB-11 as my DAC.

I also have a Beyer 1990 and 770 that I also like listening to

Lets say that I have $500-1200 to spend. (Can bump it up to 1700 if that would make a major difference) What would be the best thing for my budget to get the best bang for my buck for all my headphones?

Should I upgrade to a better receiver? Get a dedicated DAC or both?

recommendations would be nice as well. Theres too much info and too much gear out there that I don't know where to even begin.

Jan 5, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #3,749 of 3,871
Hey i have a HD800 with violectric v281 amp, you think it will benefit if i just plug them into my speaker amp ? I already run violectric at highest gain for them.
In my experience, HD800s sounded better overall with even inexpensive, low WPC vintage amps than with the V281 amp, which was only quieter. The higher the WPC, the better the headphones sound. BTW, I use the headphones jack for the HD800s and other dynamic driver headphones. The speaker taps are generally safer for planar headphones.

Jan 7, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #3,750 of 3,871
Just letting the group know, I may end up letting my Primaluna EVO 400 Integrated amp go. It's around 6 months old and has driven my TC, Susvara and Raal Sr1a beautifully. Only considering letting it go because I've let the Susvara go and I'm strongly leaning towards letting the Raal and TC go as well (due to stat acquisitions and the L3000 which is driven great by the Dave). Unfortunately, it came with a few small nicks, as the coating is delicate, but I'd be selling it for a pretty discounted price.

If I don't sell it on here, I'll probably just move to my living room two channel system, but it seems overkill for my Klipsch Heresys which are so easily driven. In no rush at all, I would love to be able to compare the TC/Sr1a to the x9000 when it gets here, but just mentioning in case anyone is in need. It is not being used much at all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back