Speaker amps for headphones
Sep 16, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #2,716 of 3,871
I suppose what you mean by pseudoscience is 'science' that can't be disproved per se?

Anyway, can't agree more though some actually use silver cabling etc. for amps. I consider much of the talk about sound differences in good measuring solid state amps and DACs as pseudosicence at best, often just subjective impressions.  

Read the "Schiit Happened" thread.

Sep 17, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #2,717 of 3,871
  I suppose what you mean by pseudoscience is 'science' that can't be disproved per se?

I meant in the sense that yes some of the technobable is correct, but it doesn't exactly apply in any relevant way... but much of the marketing these days is savvy enough to present some scientific factoids, then present the product with some feature that happens to use the same buzzwords (in a different technical utilization, but shh they won't tell you that), then let the reader draw a line connecting two dots that don't actually exist.

Sep 20, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #2,718 of 3,871
I meant in the sense that yes some of the technobable is correct, but it doesn't exactly apply in any relevant way... but much of the marketing these days is savvy enough to present some scientific factoids, then present the product with some feature that happens to use the same buzzwords (in a different technical utilization, but shh they won't tell you that), then let the reader draw a line connecting two dots that don't actually exist.

Hmmmm......sounds like some amplifier manufacturer's marketing.....lots of fancy buzzwords, but basically BS.

Sep 20, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #2,719 of 3,871
Hmmmm......sounds like some amplifier manufacturer's marketing.....lots of fancy buzzwords, but basically BS.

To be fair... that's kinda advertising in general.

Sep 21, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #2,720 of 3,871
Sep 21, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #2,721 of 3,871
This one time as a kid, my mom took us kids to an unlicensed dentist because it was cheaper. He worked out of his basement and used a dremel...

Sep 24, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #2,723 of 3,871
Hi guys i have a Manley Sting Ray i and want to connect it to my Audeze LCD-2 with 1/4 jack. Can anyone here help me on how I can do so? 

I assume this is a model without a headphone jack and you want to hook up to speaker output? I think you will need a balanced cable for the headphones and an adapter. I had a stingray and the manual warned against turning it on when not hooked to speakers, which suggests to me that you will need resistors to protect the transformers. You might want to contact Manley -- I found them very responsive.

Sep 24, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #2,724 of 3,871
I assume this is a model without a headphone jack and you want to hook up to speaker output? I think you will need a balanced cable for the headphones and an adapter. I had a stingray and the manual warned against turning it on when not hooked to speakers, which suggests to me that you will need resistors to protect the transformers. You might want to contact Manley -- I found them very responsive.

Yes it is the model without the headphone jack. The hifiman adapter? Is it possible to do it without a balance cable? Because my cable is a silver poison single ended cable which i just bought not  too long ago and do not wish to get another cable. Not too good with DIY stuff as well. 

Sep 24, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #2,730 of 3,871
And you really shouldn't be using it if your amp has differential outputs anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back