Speaker amps for headphones
Jun 21, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #2,596 of 3,871
I’m looking for this box and someone to make it for a while, but I don’t speak Italian (commercial is out of the question as it doesn’t exist).

I believe I’m speaking for most, if I say that You could have make a hell of an amount of money of this, yet u put it for free.

As for me it is the sign of the deepest love and dedication to the sound. 

Thanx Mate

Jun 21, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #2,597 of 3,871
Making the box actually takes very long, it's rather extensive even though it seems simple.

Jun 29, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #2,599 of 3,871
I just realized the first watt amps (some of them) would do pretty good with many headphones based on their low noise floor  at around -100dBW, 1W into 8 ohm. It seems that spec is unweighted. Anyway, that's 13 dB noisefloor on HE-500 for example, again unweighted. A-weighted, you could likely add somewhere between 5-10dB to the SNR, I think?

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #2,601 of 3,871
I am using my SENN HD800 with dual ART HEADTAP in balance mode - out of the speaker taps of a 15watt per channel AUDIOPAX Stereo88 KT88 tube amp - No hiss. Great sound. There is some hiss with my AT 900 AD but the HD600 should be fine. JD River WIN 8 laptop with either the Centrance M8 or the MsTECH USB 384 dac - Great sound.

Jul 19, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #2,602 of 3,871
I am using hd800 out of emotiva mini-x and there's a significant amount of hiss, though almost not audible with 12 dB of attenuation from resistors.

Jul 20, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #2,604 of 3,871
  I use HD650s directly fed (no resistors... resistors are futile) from both my Odyssey Cyclops and ancient Nikko integrated amp, with no hiss, excellent sound.

Looking at amp measurements on some site I don't remember that looks a lot like innerfidelity, it seems amps with a good noise floor is pretty rare, but generally lower wattage equals lower noise floor as I remember. Here at head-fi we still need the ultimate budget speaker amp with low noise floor..

Jul 20, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #2,606 of 3,871
  Looking at amp measurements on some site I don't remember that looks a lot like innerfidelity, it seems amps with a good noise floor is pretty rare, but generally lower wattage equals lower noise floor as I remember. Here at head-fi we still need the ultimate budget speaker amp with low noise floor..

It probably has something do with internal impedance of the amp to match with the speaker load.  It will heat up when the load is less impedance as lots of current is rushed though the amp to the load which creates heat.  Heat translates to noise.  For example, 4ohm amps to 4ohms speakers you need a good amp that is capable that don't crap out because it needs to push out lots of current.  Headphones are much greater impedance loads comparatively to the amps impedance.

These speaker amps, the headphones stage is used correct?  That means it will have impedance characteristic of the headphone stage.  And the headphone stage will be less wattage.  For example the Pionear vintage of 100Watts, the headphone stage is only 10watts.

So in the end the headphone stage is what is being used is fraction of the speaker amplifier.  In essensce you are not really using the full capability of the speaker amp, but the headphone amp section that limits the wattage.  So, it's not necessary or "better" because it's a "speaker amp."

Jul 21, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #2,608 of 3,871
  Silver, we are not using the 'headphone stage.' This thread is about connecting headphones directly or through a resistor network to a speaker amp's speaker terminals.

Interesting.  Are you guys getting decent enough range with the knob?  Isn't there a risk of blowing the drivers easily?  I can only imagine this HE-6 or similarly hard to drive cans.  In which scenarios are the resistor network used?

Jul 21, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #2,609 of 3,871
  I use HD650s directly fed (no resistors... resistors are futile) from both my Odyssey Cyclops and ancient Nikko integrated amp, with no hiss, excellent sound.

Do you mean you fed it straight off the taps without any intermediary? Wouldn't the HD650 be sensitive enough such that volume play will be very minimal? Hmm...perhaps i can custom build a pigtail extension for my HD600..may I ask what is the rated output of your Cyclops and Nikko amp? Trying to establish a maximum output rating that can safely be used for a direct tap onto the speaker outs.

I recall using the HD650 out of the headphone jack from a vintage Pioneer SX-1280 receiver (with 180W output power) and I could hear a lot of hissing without music being played.

Jul 21, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #2,610 of 3,871
  I am using my SENN HD800 with dual ART HEADTAP in balance mode - out of the speaker taps of a 15watt per channel AUDIOPAX Stereo88 KT88 tube amp - No hiss. Great sound. There is some hiss with my AT 900 AD but the HD600 should be fine. JD River WIN 8 laptop with either the Centrance M8 or the MsTECH USB 384 dac - Great sound.

Small wattage seems to be more manageable for the more sensitive cans.

I am using hd800 out of emotiva mini-x and there's a significant amount of hiss, though almost not audible with 12 dB of attenuation from resistors.

Ahh..if it hisses with the HD800, it might hiss with the HD600...should this only be tried with low wattage amps, for example, 20W and below?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back