Speaker amps for headphones
Mar 18, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #2,536 of 3,871
Correct on power being all tube for hp out and hybrid on speaker taps.This is my fIrst experience of not just bad but offensive synergy.

According to their web page the headphone output is pure tube, where as the speaker output consists of a tube pre amp and SS power amp circuit. Seems that you have just experienced bad synergi between the HE-4 and power amp section of the A1.

Mar 19, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #2,541 of 3,871
Brunk is building a batch of Robinette Boxes as we speak. Info on the Open Hardware Robinette Box headphone interface.

RobinetteBoxFront.jpg

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #2,543 of 3,871
I have listened to my Sennheiser HD-800 for more that a year using the headphone jack on my NAD C375BEE DAC as well as a couple of Yahama R-S700 receivers and have fantastic results on these units.  I have to adjust the volume setting lower with the NAD unit given it's wattage output. In a couple of days I'll be receiving my HIFIMAN HE-6 headphones and anticipate outstanding results as well.

Apr 21, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #2,544 of 3,871
Hey, That's cheating!  You can't post to this thread if you're using a legitimate, factory headphone jack!

You have to cut the TRS plugsoff your HD800 cable and wire it directly to your speaker terminals!

And then, when you hear too much hiss because the gain is too high for the headphone's efficiency, or because you're having to operate the volume control no higher than 7 o'clock, real men are supposed to build a Robinette box, or pay somebody else to do it, or at the very least, hack together a couple of wirewound resistors right at the speaker terminals, until you've applied about 15 dB of attenuation that sucks the life out of your dynamics and bass control.  

Then and only then, will you be ready to post to this thread!

beerchug.gif

Apr 21, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #2,546 of 3,871
Hey, That's cheating!  You can't post to this thread if you're using a legitimate, factory headphone jack!

You have to cut the TRS plugsoff your HD800 cable and wire it directly to your speaker terminals!

And then, when you hear too much hiss because the gain is too high for the headphone's efficiency, or because you're having to operate the volume control no higher than 7 o'clock, real men are supposed to build a Robinette box, or pay somebody else to do it, or at the very least, hack together a couple of wirewound resistors right at the speaker terminals, until you've applied about 15 dB of attenuation that sucks the life out of your dynamics and bass control.  

Then and only then, will you be ready to post to this thread!

:beerchug:  

Oooops!
Better delete all my posts here!:xf_eek:

Apr 21, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #2,547 of 3,871
Oh Trebleclef! My previous post was a joke - lots of sarcasm. Seriously, I have no problem whatsoever with your previous post!

I was making fun of my own, failed experiments with trying to use headphones with speaker amps (the TBI Audio MG3, in particular, as documented in this thread and elsewhere).

Your previous post was absolutely valid for this thread, and appreciated. Indeed, our time is better spent listening to music.

:)

Mike

Apr 21, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #2,548 of 3,871
Oh Trebleclef! My previous post was a joke - lots of sarcasm. Seriously, I have no problem whatsoever with your previous post!

I was making fun of my own, failed experiments with trying to use headphones with speaker amps (the TBI Audio MG3, in particular, as documented in this thread and elsewhere).

Your previous post was absolutely valid for this thread, and appreciated. Indeed, our time is better spent listening to music.

:)

Mike

Hey Mike,
I recognize it as a joke!
No worries, mate!
I thought I would have a laugh at my own expense, too.

Cheers,
Chris

Apr 21, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #2,549 of 3,871
Oh Trebleclef! My previous post was a joke - lots of sarcasm. <snip>

What makes it so funny is that it's so true. XLRs, RCAs, speaker pins and banana plugs — I have more connectors and adapters than I know what to do with.

Apr 21, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #2,550 of 3,871
Thanks guys,

I know it was all in good fun ,especially the sarcasm.  I have to say though I was blow away when I saw that the EF-6 HIFIMAN headphone amp's listed price was exactly the same as the listed price of the NAD C375BEE DAC Stereo Integrated Amplifier.  Both list for $1599.  What's the point to be made here. 
regular_smile .gif
  For my Ipod and laptop I listen through the IEM-400 a beast of an earphone especially for classical music which is what is what occupies most of  my listening time.

John from San Diego

Users who are viewing this thread

Back