Speaker amps for headphones
Oct 22, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #1,201 of 3,873
  This is OT, but I had to share it here as I started fantasizing about it with the HE-6 LMAO. Do you like "Electronica"? 
eek.gif

Are you going to turn your HE-6 into a pair of Van de Graff generators?

:)

I want to know how he modulated the discharges to sync with the music!

Mike

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #1,202 of 3,873
  Actually, at louder listening levels, the channel balance is very close, owing to the way I matched the LDR's.

That A/B box you linked looks very intriguing.  Already have parts on order, though.  DIY projects are always a challenge.  Part art, part science.  I've got F2 and F2J schematics sitting on the desk waiting to be the next project.  It won't have the voltage swing for the HE-6, but it will be fine for more efficient orthos and it will be my first DIY amplifier, so it will be good learning/proving ground.

Thanks for the inspiration, brunk!  

Glad to hear your lightspeed came out good for you! It's always a relief when the finished product comes out satisfactorily. I love the anticipation of first power on, don't you?! You going with a simple A/B switch or going all out hehe.

Oh, The F2! Word of caution on the J version though. The input impedance will be too low for the passive LDR, so you would need to revert back to your B1, the regular F2 skates by just fine though. May I ask why the F2 over the other offerings? The output impedance is a fairly high 15 ohms, which isn't super ideal and it seems like 5w is really pushing the envelope hehe. At least it's not a really high 80 ohms like the F1. I Don't want to make you second guess your decisions, but just provide additional info you may not have been aware of.

It's my pleasure to share the joys and inspiration of DIY! It's such a nice gift that keeps on giving, I think Mr. Pass gets as much out of it or more as us mere mortals do!

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #1,203 of 3,873

Are you going to turn your HE-6 into a pair of Van de Graff generators?

:)

I want to know how he modulated the discharges to sync with the music!

Mike

Actually, the Tesla coils are the source of the music themselves! A real deal musical instrument. It makes that sound by resonating on that circular top, sorry i don't know the technical name lol. The music is a MIDI file played back from an iPod or such, and runs through firmware that determines the proper voltage to make the approximate resonant frequency. That is my crude understanding of it atleast.

Oct 23, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #1,204 of 3,873
  Glad to hear your lightspeed came out good for you! It's always a relief when the finished product comes out satisfactorily. I love the anticipation of first power on, don't you?! You going with a simple A/B switch or going all out hehe.

Oh, The F2! Word of caution on the J version though. The input impedance will be too low for the passive LDR, so you would need to revert back to your B1, the regular F2 skates by just fine though. May I ask why the F2 over the other offerings? The output impedance is a fairly high 15 ohms, which isn't super ideal and it seems like 5w is really pushing the envelope hehe. At least it's not a really high 80 ohms like the F1. I Don't want to make you second guess your decisions, but just provide additional info you may not have been aware of.

It's my pleasure to share the joys and inspiration of DIY! It's such a nice gift that keeps on giving, I think Mr. Pass gets as much out of it or more as us mere mortals do!

Not sure how "all out" its going to be, but I'm going to experiment with a couple of configurations.  First, a simple switch arrangement.  Then I'm going to experiment with Hg wetted reed relays.  No idea if it will actually be better than simple switches, but what the heck.  Excuse to play!  Do you have any experience with Hg wetted relays?  

Thanks for your observations on the F2.  Yes, I've considered that, and its not the "be all, end all" project, by any means.  I chose the F2 because of its simple circuit topology.  Being so simple, it will give me the opportunity to experiment with different parts.  I eventually want to step up to an F5, but I want to have some experience and understanding before going there.
Mr. Pass is certainly a gift to both the DIY and audiophile communities.  He certainly has a passion for sharing!

Thanks again for the input!

-michael

Oct 23, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #1,205 of 3,873
  Not sure how "all out" its going to be, but I'm not going to experiment with a couple of configurations.  First, a simple switch arrangement.  Then I'm going to experiment with Hg wetted reed relays.  No idea if it will actually be better than simple switches, but what the heck.  Excuse to play!  Do you have any experience with Hg wetted relays?  

Thanks for your observations on the F2.  Yes, I've considered that, and its not the "be all, end all" project, by any means.  I chose the F2 because of its simple circuit topology.  Being so simple, it will give me the opportunity to experiment with different parts.  I eventually want to step up to an F5, but I want to have some experience and understanding before going there.
Mr. Pass is certainly a gift to both the DIY and audiophile communities.  He certainly has a passion for sharing!

Thanks again for the input!

-michael

No experience with the mercury relays, but that leads me to believe you plan on some serious A/B testing hehe! The F2 is certainly a great starting point. Don't be discouraged by the F5 though, as it's nearly as simple, but more costly is all. What plans do you have for a chassis? Seems like the Deluxe F4 chassis from DiyAudio may be a good option for you, which i personally own. Makes swapping out boards a cinch, and no drilling/tapping required.

As a side note, I have all parts ready to go for a second F5, chassis included. If you'd like, I could sell you the whole thing unassembled so you can enjoy that yourself without the headaches of finding/ordering parts. Only caveat is that the chassis would require drilling/tapping, but I do have the tools for that if you're interested.

Oct 23, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #1,206 of 3,873
Don't have the chassis picked out for the F2, yet. I'll look into your chassis suggestion. I've got the tools for drilling & tapping, as well, so that is not an issue. We might have to talk about that F5 kit. I'm intrigued, to say the least!

Oct 23, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #1,207 of 3,873
Don't have the chassis picked out for the F2, yet. I'll look into your chassis suggestion. I've got the tools for drilling & tapping, as well, so that is not an issue. We might have to talk about that F5 kit. I'm intrigued, to say the least!

PM sent :)

Oct 23, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #1,209 of 3,873
Oct 23, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #1,212 of 3,873
Hey, I'm old and blind enough that even seeing the + and - side of a battery or battery compartment is hard... Of course it would be easier if I had any glasses that hadn't been sat, yanked or stomped on by a 100-lb dog (ruining glasses is one of his best skills). 

Oh well, if the machine works the batteries are in right, if not, just keep turning them around 'til it does work.  Easy enough, I guess... and I don't think I've done real damage to any valuable electronics... yet...

Oct 24, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #1,213 of 3,873
Heee-hee!  

You know you're getting old when you not only need reading glasses stashed in all your favorite hang outs, but different diopters for different tasks!  

I've discovered that wearing really weak reading glasses (0.75) is great for working at desktop computers, where the monitor is at just short of arm's length - farther than the distance at which you would hold a magazine or book.  Seriously, they will keep you from hunching over your laptop, too - as can be the case when you are using stronger reading glasses.  

And when it comes to breaking the frames (dog damage not withstanding), I suggest you get a pair of these very flexible reading glasses, in 0.75 diopter (for computer work) or other strengths, as necessary.   Three co-workers are wearing this in my lab, at my recommendation, and they all love them (your choice of black or tortoise):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008AKOVRU

We be stylin'!  Not!

tongue.gif

Mike

Oct 24, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #1,214 of 3,873
Hehe i thoroughly enjoyed both of those replies above mine. I too have had mishaps with my glasses at the most inopportune times. Great idea on the reading glasses, I'll have to check those out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back