Speaker amps for headphones
Aug 18, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #3,631 of 3,873
Aug 18, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #3,633 of 3,873
On the forge headphones.com live stream on tylerseclectic they were basically saying power amps with headphones are really risky. Tyler saying people can get electrocuted by speaker tap cables. Lol
Haven't a large majority of their crowd only recently gotten into audio. Tyler is an idiot and it shows when he speaks. But verbatim, that is a dangerous thing to say.

And it is sad, people listen to idiots.

Aug 18, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #3,635 of 3,873
Haven't a large majority of their crowd only recently gotten into audio. Tyler is an idiot and it shows when he speaks. But verbatim, that is a dangerous thing to say.

And it is sad, people listen to idiots.
Point proven, I listen to you :)

Aug 18, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #3,636 of 3,873
Point proven, I listen to you :)
Someone like Torq is a great resource for them, it's easy enough to ignore the rest.

Aug 19, 2021 at 12:22 AM Post #3,637 of 3,873
I googled Zynsonix.
Their boxes seem to be perfect, even with switch between resistor network and direct connection if one chooses to take it. The minimum config is also very attractively priced.
Premium components are expensive but you know you got the good crap

I got in touch with Bryan @ zynsonix and he has great customer service. I was initially just curious, but because he was so pleasant to talk to, I ordered a box to try out.

Am getting it with a 16dB attenuator for use with the Utopia, and attenuator bypass switch for use with Susvara. Added the deluxe option and Cardas speaker posts.

Aug 19, 2021 at 4:02 AM Post #3,638 of 3,873
I got in touch with Bryan @ zynsonix and he has great customer service. I was initially just curious, but because he was so pleasant to talk to, I ordered a box to try out.

Am getting it with a 16dB attenuator for use with the Utopia, and attenuator bypass switch for use with Susvara. Added the deluxe option and Cardas speaker posts.
I also ordered one, in my case the high wattage version with 12db and 0db with bypass switch.
Deluxe chassis with feet in my setup color black.

The presales experience was excellent and fast

Also with the switch off, it still has the parallel resistors to present a load to the amp.
Therefore it also works on tube amps in that setting

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #3,639 of 3,873
I was out in my mother in law's shop the other day and saw a Marantz device. I have no idea what model but it was surrounded in what looked like wood and the face plate was silver. When I got back home I looked all over the internet for the device and couldn't find one that looked like it.

I asked my wife if she knew what it was and she thinks it was my deceased father in laws. He used it in his wood shop. I knew he was an audiophile but I didn't realize he just had Marantz laying around out in the shop!! 😂

Anywho I'm gonna make my way over and pick it up to see if I can't restore it to it's previous glory. 😁 I did see a quarter inch jack on the front so maybe I'll be able to use it with some headphones. Who knows...

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #3,640 of 3,873
I was out in my mother in law's shop the other day and saw a Marantz device. I have no idea what model but it was surrounded in what looked like wood and the face plate was silver. When I got back home I looked all over the internet for the device and couldn't find one that looked like it.

I asked my wife if she knew what it was and she thinks it was my deceased father in laws. He used it in his wood shop. I knew he was an audiophile but I didn't realize he just had Marantz laying around out in the shop!! 😂

Anywho I'm gonna make my way over and pick it up to see if I can't restore it to it's previous glory. 😁 I did see a quarter inch jack on the front so maybe I'll be able to use it with some headphones. Who knows...
I use a Marantz 1060 that I just recently restored and love. I would highly suggest trying to use the speaker taps, as the quarter inch jack on the front sounds awful in my experience. Bass has no impact, timbre is very off. The only downside I get from using the speaker taps is a very slight hiss/noise floor. If you are planning on restoring it, I'd suggest making sure to take it to someone that really knows what they're doing. And make sure they use nice parts, I've seen some people restore these things with electrolytic capacitors in places where a film cap would be better in every way (unless you're a purist and don't want to alter anything about the design whatsoever). Or they will swap out all transistors with modern equivalents when it's not necessary to do so.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #3,641 of 3,873
I use a Marantz 1060 that I just recently restored and love. I would highly suggest trying to use the speaker taps, as the quarter inch jack on the front sounds awful in my experience. Bass has no impact, timbre is very off. The only downside I get from using the speaker taps is a very slight hiss/noise floor. If you are planning on restoring it, I'd suggest making sure to take it to someone that really knows what they're doing. And make sure they use nice parts, I've seen some people restore these things with electrolytic capacitors in places where a film cap would be better in every way (unless you're a purist and don't want to alter anything about the design whatsoever). Or they will swap out all transistors with modern equivalents when it's not necessary to do so.
Just got back home after picking it up. It powers up but the front panel blue LEDs don't work.

Attachments

• IMG_20210821_145539.jpg
    IMG_20210821_145539.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210821_145033.jpg
    IMG_20210821_145033.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210821_145148.jpg
    IMG_20210821_145148.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Aug 21, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #3,642 of 3,873
Just got back home after picking it up. It powers up but the front panel blue LEDs don't work.
Yeah, that's to be expected, given the age. I'd guess it has never been serviced ever. It looks beautiful, though, given that the faceplate has no damage at all. Everything looks stock to me, so I'd suggest you look into a place that can restore it. My unit sounded good before I did anything, but of course, now it's performing a lot better. Just sucks to not DIY this stuff because people will charge so much to do a restoration (as they should, I guess, it took a lot of time for me to do mine). Good thing about your unit is it is not capacitor coupled, so I don't think you will get any thump/pop when turning the unit on and plugging anything in.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #3,643 of 3,873
Yeah, that's to be expected, given the age. I'd guess it has never been serviced ever. It looks beautiful, though, given that the faceplate has no damage at all. Everything looks stock to me, so I'd suggest you look into a place that can restore it. My unit sounded good before I did anything, but of course, now it's performing a lot better. Just sucks to not DIY this stuff because people will charge so much to do a restoration (as they should, I guess, it took a lot of time for me to do mine).
The only problem is I don't have an home hifi equipment. I'm strictly an iem headphone guy. I listed it on eBay for parts. Atleast someone will be able to enjoy it. That's what my father in law would want. He definitely wouldn't want it rotting away in a shop somewhere that's for sure.

Aug 21, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #3,644 of 3,873
That makes sense. Man, someone here should pick that up off of you. They're great units and are relatively easy to work on compared to most vintage amplifiers.

Aug 21, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #3,645 of 3,873
Wow, what a blast from the past. The Marantz 2270 was the very first piece of audio gear I ever purchased as a teenager in the mid-1970s! Also had a Thorens turntable, but can't remember the speakers now. Total cost of the system was about $900! I loved it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back