Speaker amps for headphones
Aug 9, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #3,616 of 3,871
At one point, they mention the abundance of amp selections as another 'downside' of speaker amps. Like come on lol..
Analysis paralysis though, I can see that being an issue with newcomers to the hobby. But I get your point and agree, more options and more competition, the better for us consumers.

Aug 9, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #3,617 of 3,871
Analysis paralysis though, I can see that being an issue with newcomers to the hobby. But I get your point and agree, more options and more competition, the better for us consumers.
Meh. There are an abundance of headphone amps to choose from as well.

Aug 9, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #3,618 of 3,871

Although that last part is very true, that wasn't my exact point. :)

Like mentioned above, it was just a poor and moot point as it's the same exact case for headamps. And more importantly it was a totally irrelevant point for the topic at hand (safety), which kind of exposes the agenda here (among other giveaways in the video).

Aug 9, 2021 at 11:56 PM Post #3,619 of 3,871
Although that last part is very true, that wasn't my exact point. :)

Like mentioned above, it was just a poor and moot point as it's the same exact case for headamps. And more importantly it was a totally irrelevant point for the topic at hand (safety), which kind of exposes the agenda here (among other giveaways in the video).

+1

On an entirely different note, do you @number1sixerfan or anyone else have recommendations on short speaker cables that you have liked, when connecting the Raal interface box with your stereo amps? Or for connecting the Hifiman HE-adapter with said amps?

I am not looking for night-and-day sonic differences, but want to use good quality cables.

Aug 10, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #3,620 of 3,871
+1

On an entirely different note, do you @number1sixerfan or anyone else have recommendations on short speaker cables that you have liked, when connecting the Raal interface box with your stereo amps? Or for connecting the Hifiman HE-adapter with said amps?

I am not looking for night-and-day sonic differences, but want to use good quality cables.

Right now, I'm using the short speaker cables that came with the Raal box. But I'm going to order Moon Audio cables pretty soon. I have a few of their shorter cables (hugo 2 > mscaler, headphone > speaker tap), and I've been pretty impressed with their quality and ergonomics. Just very well made and they customize based on your need.

Aug 17, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #3,621 of 3,871
Is there a higher quality Version of the Hifiman Headphone adapter, that is readily available?
Including resistors, so that it is also useable with tube amps.

Aug 17, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #3,622 of 3,871
Most (not all) solid state speaker amps are fine with the higher load.

However among tube amps it's a lot more common that they have trouble with the high load, causing damage to the amp (therefore it's generally advised to use parallel resistors)

The problem is, that you can't generally say it's fine, for those cases where it's not (while you can always connect it to a headamp, without causing damage)
Bingo. And they are playing conservative.

What they are basically saying is name me x headamp that poses a danger for our headphones. And they'll name you xyz speaker amps which are problematic.

Aug 17, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #3,623 of 3,871
Is there a higher quality Version of the Hifiman Headphone adapter, that is readily available?
Including resistors, so that it is also useable with tube amps.
Personally, I have had great results using the services of Zynsonix (Bryan Fox). Nicely made boxes and I think if you tell him about the amp you are using he can recommend the appropriate combination of resistors to get the right balance between noise and volume. It takes about 3 weeks or so to receive the box after an order (in my experience). I have order two boxes from Bryan in the last year, and a cable with no resistors (I added the protective resistors to the amp speaker outlets). All have functioned excellently. I do not use tube amps BTW, so I probably do not need those protective resistirs technically, but I play safe anyway.

Having said that, its also fairly simple to not only add resistors yourself to the speaker outlets on the amp, or make a box yourself, adding those prtective resistors in the box. I count myself pretty much a newbie solderer, but I made two boxes myself just using the robinette box web pages and Bryan's own diyaudioblog.com site, and just cheap wooden craft boxes. Not cheap to buy them ready made, and if you are into DIY you can get to choose whatever boutique resistors you want idf you are into that sort of thing :) Personally, I just used good quality Mills ones and the results have been excellent, its not a pretty sight, but only I see it, so I fine with functional and ugly! If you wanted more details we could converse via pm.

Aug 18, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #3,624 of 3,871
Personally, I have had great results using the services of Zynsonix (Bryan Fox). Nicely made boxes and I think if you tell him about the amp you are using he can recommend the appropriate combination of resistors to get the right balance between noise and volume. It takes about 3 weeks or so to receive the box after an order (in my experience). I have order two boxes from Bryan in the last year, and a cable with no resistors (I added the protective resistors to the amp speaker outlets). All have functioned excellently. I do not use tube amps BTW, so I probably do not need those protective resistirs technically, but I play safe anyway.

Having said that, its also fairly simple to not only add resistors yourself to the speaker outlets on the amp, or make a box yourself, adding those prtective resistors in the box. I count myself pretty much a newbie solderer, but I made two boxes myself just using the robinette box web pages and Bryan's own diyaudioblog.com site, and just cheap wooden craft boxes. Not cheap to buy them ready made, and if you are into DIY you can get to choose whatever boutique resistors you want idf you are into that sort of thing :) Personally, I just used good quality Mills ones and the results have been excellent, its not a pretty sight, but only I see it, so I fine with functional and ugly! If you wanted more details we could converse via pm.
P.m. sent

Aug 18, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #3,626 of 3,871
Someone else posted the internals of one on another forum and doesn't look to have any resistors?

KnjaIbSoaT.png

Aug 18, 2021 at 7:05 AM Post #3,627 of 3,871
Someone else posted the internals of one on another forum and doesn't look to have any resistors?

KnjaIbSoaT.png
The current Box if ordered from the website has no resistors.
Older ones used to have some and they can also add some on special request via email inquiry.

Aug 18, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #3,628 of 3,871

I googled Zynsonix.
Their boxes seem to be perfect, even with switch between resistor network and direct connection if one chooses to take it. The minimum config is also very attractively priced.
Premium components are expensive but you know you got the good crap

Aug 18, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #3,629 of 3,871
On the forge headphones.com live stream on tylerseclectic they were basically saying power amps with headphones are really risky. Tyler saying people can get electrocuted by speaker tap cables. Lol

Aug 18, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #3,630 of 3,871
On the forge headphones.com live stream on tylerseclectic they were basically saying power amps with headphones are really risky. Tyler saying people can get electrocuted by speaker tap cables. Lol
Well if you apply them directly to your nips instead of headphones or speakers, I consider that a possibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back