Speaker amps for headphones
Dec 16, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #1,936 of 3,873
How loud is a jet flying over your head? Low flying at the airport .

I think it's right at 110-120dB. Anything over 120dB is pretty much instantaneous damage.

Dec 16, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #1,937 of 3,873
What's the point of all these calculations again?

I've already determined the wattage the headphone receives is irrelevant to how they sound. Using resistors are only for attenuation and lowering noise-floor in SS amps.

Dec 16, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #1,938 of 3,873

I've already determined the wattage the headphone receives is irrelevant to how they sound. Using resistors are only for attenuation and lowering noise-floor in SS amps.

The resistors are also useful for dynamic headphones, making even high impedance cans a possibility, keeping the amp at it's sweet spot.

Dec 16, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #1,939 of 3,873
  The resistors are also useful for dynamic headphones, making even high impedance cans a possibility, keeping the amp at it's sweet spot.

Oh yes, that too.

But we have pages and pages of calculations that are irrelevant. Very misleading too!

Dec 16, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #1,940 of 3,873

"Sweet spot" for working the volume knob, but not necessarily (probably unlikely) the sweet spot for the amp.

Dec 16, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #1,941 of 3,873

"Sweet spot" for working the volume knob, but not necessarily (probably unlikely) the sweet spot for the amp.

Well, it's better in regards to nothing at all for dynamics. I guess "sweet spot" wasn't the best choice of wording there.

Dec 16, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #1,942 of 3,873
I use to be a DJ on the weekends many years ago . I used earplugs under my headphones.

Dec 16, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #1,943 of 3,873

Real short answer:

I'll bet your average "loud" listening level is approx. 85-90 dB.   The peaks may be 16 dB higher in uncompressed program material.

Try calculating that, you see why the 5 Watt resistor barely gets warm.

Dec 16, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #1,944 of 3,873
 Originally Posted by ohhgourami /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As I said earlier, I'm trying to break down the circuit analysis to tiny little chunks so that an interested layman can follow the calculations and analysis and see how the resistor network actually works.

Quote:

But we have pages and pages of calculations that are irrelevant. Very misleading too!

Please let me know what's misleading.

Dec 16, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #1,946 of 3,873
Well I am happy with your work rob. I just might a cliff note guide when I'm ready to use . LOL

but I do like it.

Dec 16, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #1,947 of 3,873
  My OSD Audio DSM4 has arrived! Got it off eBay for $58 shipped. The case is very thick, and has a quality anodized black finish. It also comes with a bunch of sticker labels for the different zones and an instruction sheet. It's strikingly similar to the Niles products, except those come with a 10 year warranty...meh. The connectors on the back are removable, so you can get a good tight grip and I suspect you can fit 12awg if you're careful, even though it says 14awg. The relays are sealed, and the defeatable protection circuit has 15w 10R resistors. Here are some pics for those interested :) I'll be hooking it up later in the week, so listening impressions will be coming soon.

So how are you liking your speaker switch?  Does it do what you wanted it to do?  How's it sound?

Finished my wetted relay box this weekend.  Working very nice so far.  There is a small "tick" when switching back and forth, but switching is very fast.  Nearly instantaneous.  ZERO cross-talk between A & B.

Dec 16, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #1,948 of 3,873
  So how are you liking your speaker switch?  Does it do what you wanted it to do?  How's it sound?

Finished my wetted relay box this weekend.  Working very nice so far.  There is a small "tick" when switching back and forth, but switching is very fast.  Nearly instantaneous.  ZERO cross-talk between A & B.

Oh! I had forgot to mention it earlier! The box is seamless, and only alters the sound when the protection is enabled. A/B switch between amps AND speakers/headphones is a breeze. A remote would've been very nice, but at less than $60 i cant complain. No crosstalk either, so I am a happy camper. This box is a real sleeper, that's for sure. Worth every penny for a dedicated Head-Fi'er.

EDIT: The switches have a very nice tactile feel and click to them, without feeling cheap. Quite durable.

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #1,949 of 3,873
  Oh! I had forgot to mention it earlier! The box is seamless, and only alters the sound when the protection is enabled. A/B switch between amps AND speakers/headphones is a breeze. A remote would've been very nice, but at less than $60 i cant complain. No crosstalk either, so I am a happy camper. This box is a real sleeper, that's for sure. Worth every penny for a dedicated Head-Fi'er.

EDIT: The switches have a very nice tactile feel and click to them, without feeling cheap. Quite durable.

Nice!  Too bad we didn't know about that box when Gary was doing his amp comparison!

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #1,950 of 3,873
  Nice!  Too bad we didn't know about that box when Gary was doing his amp comparison!

Can you link that thread? I'm sure he would've had a grand time with this box. It really is a sleeper for sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back