Southern CanFEST 2009
Feb 24, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #136 of 243
This was the first "meet" I have ever attended and I really didn't know what to expect. My interest was in being able to hear some different dedicated e'stat amps, and that I was able to do. The KGSS, STAX SRM-007t and the Woo GES. I liked all 3 but I think the KGSS was the best. It was difficult to pick a clear winner because, as we all know, it was crowded and noisy. Additionally I was able to check out the Jade e'stats, I thought they were better than the Koss ESP's and not as good as the Lambda Pro's, but I wasn't able to get them to seal properly at the lower rear of my ears. Brought along my Lambda Pro's and Koss ESP's for anyone who cared to hear them. A few people were interested in them and those who heard the Lambda's seemed to like them, even better than the STAX O2's. I have the O2's and I think that most people just don't listen to them long enough to truly appreciate what they are capable of. Of course, at the meet there's not enough time to do this.
Talked to Fitz a little while about his DIY amps and listened to his K1000's (1st time I ever heard them) and I was impressed. I don't know if I'm the DIY'er you're referring to Fitz, but I would've even liked to talk to you more about your amps.
All the people I talked with were very nice indeed and I hope there can be another meet (with a larger room!).

Feb 24, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #137 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Jones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your talking about a lawyer and another man who talks out of both sides of his mouth.Thanks for putting me on your ignore list.
PS someone step in and end this sad thread

Is this comment supposed to mean that you think lawyers talk out of both sides of their mouths? I would appreciate clarification of your point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The tone of some of the criticism in this thread has been less than constructive, bordering on personal in several instances. That’s not good. Civility and constructive criticism presented in a helpful tone is what I’ve come to expect on this forum. It’s unfortunate this thread has deteriorated to it’s current state. It’s very un-Head-Fi like.[/FONT]

The promotion of this event was misleading. To me, that's a bigger problem than the tone of some specific posts.

Feb 24, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #138 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could we go back to "Meet Impressions"?
I know these comments can be technically construed as meet impressions, but where are the pictures and critiques on the equipment that was there?

We can start another thread dedicated to why and how a meet should be held.

...or is it too late?

I agree. It would be nice to have this debate interrupted by some pics and impressions. That's what we usually find in an Impressions thread. The lack thereof sort of begs the question. Thanks to those so far who have posted impressions.

Feb 24, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #139 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by cardude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So if this event was more of a trade show than a HF meet, then I can hardly wait for the next real HF meet. I think Atlanta is planning one, I hope I can make it.

I haven't heard anything about one yet, but we do have at least one every year somewhere in the Atlanta area, plus whatever mini-meets are thrown on a whim (a bit of a drive for just a mini-meet, but they can be worth it since you can do more detailed listening/comparisons and basically just hang out with some like-minded people). A lot of stuff happens that isn't really announced, so get in good with some GA and TN members to stay posted on any meets, mini-meets, or just to hang out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejmcgee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Talked to Fitz a little while about his DIY amps and listened to his K1000's (1st time I ever heard them) and I was impressed. I don't know if I'm the DIY'er you're referring to Fitz, but I would've even liked to talk to you more about your amps.

I was actually referring to the guy I spent a while going over the technical details on the SS amp with, whose name I can't recall. I definitely do remember talking to you though and am certainly glad it was a guy like you won the big prize at the end.
beerchug.gif

You should definitely try to make it to a more typical Head-Fi meet if you get the chance. You probably wouldn't be able to compare as diverse a selection of gear depending on the scale and attendance, but I'm sure you'd have an absolute blast.

EDIT: The DIY guy who I did spend all that time talking to, if you're a Head-Fier post on here or PM me so I know who you were!
tongue.gif

Feb 24, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #140 of 243
Quote:

Of the 100/150 people who showed up, I seems a few very vocal people did not have their expectations met. That’s unfortunate, but still, a small percentage.

The tone of some of the criticism in this thread has been less than constructive, bordering on personal in several instances. That’s not good. Civility and constructive criticism presented in a helpful tone is what I’ve come to expect on this forum. It’s unfortunate this thread has deteriorated to it’s current state. It’s very un-Head-Fi like.

How could the 100/150 people who aren't a part of head-fi complain?

Feb 24, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #141 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by unkamartin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Folks,

Without getting into the debate as to, "the worth, or lack of worth", of the event this past weekend at Charlotte; I felt the attached image sort of summed up one of the things which motivated Joe Grado to attend. In his words, Joe mentioned he hoped to talk with and pass along some of his life experiences to the next generation. On the same occasion, he wanted to introduce what he hopes to be another lasting contribution to an industry he has helped found and which has been very good to him.

Personally, I enjoyed meeting everyone I came in contact with there, both old friends from around the industry who came to Charlotte as well as many new faces. Thanks to the organizers, the industry members as well as the rest of my fellow attendees for getting me out of housework and some of my “Honey-do’s” this past Saturday (:wink:)

Martin

Dude, you and Joe should "get a room."
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #142 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by cardude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This was my first heaphone event, so I had no idea what to expect. Since it was over a 4 hour drive one way, I asked my wife to come along, which she reluctantly agreed. I figured if she liked any of the equipment, it might help my cause.
wink_face.gif

As good as any reason as any. I enjoyed myself too. Ray was his usual gracious self and let me listen extensively to his R10s via his B-52 using my source (needle-drops and lossless rips through macbook->duet). The R10's were the only phones there I could audition with the ambiance such as it was (most head-fi meets are loud, unfortunately). Jack Woo let me plug my source into his Stax stuff. But I couldn't really focus. But I did confirm I'm on the right track (pun intended, i guess) regarding my vinyl project process: the source scales nicely!
smily_headphones1.gif

I gave a demonstration of a few waveform micro-surgery declicking scenarios. I did this with some folks at the Tampa meet last year. At that time, there were a couple of us wearing headphones so they could follow along.

<pen-fi>As I mentioned above, I bought a fountain pen from the guy at the door. He includeda second nib (and extra converter) for nine bucks. Great deal. He let me dip-test both nibs before purchasing. No pressure, no attitude--even when I told him I'd think about it for a while. That's when I made my decision to purchase. Used the pen today for a bit--writes wonderfly. </pen-fi>

Feb 24, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #143 of 243
And, yes, I do know how to multi-quote.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Point taken, however there were several dozen Head-Fiers present who enjoyed it.

Several dozen? let's say several means three, at minimum. So 12x3 = 36, I doubt if there were at least 36 head-fiers who participate somewhat in this forum in attendance. Sorry, I don't see that.

Regardless of how many head-fiers, count me in as one who enjoyed himself--making the best of the situation.

Feb 24, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #144 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As good as any reason as any. I enjoyed myself too. Ray was his usual gracious self and let me listen extensively to his R10s via his B-52 using my source (needle-drops and lossless rips through macbook->duet). The R10's were the only phones there I could audition with the ambiance such as it was (most head-fi meets are loud, unfortunately).

I think that's one of the reasons people come away so awed by the R10. In a noisy meet environment, it is one of the very few high-end cans that can compete with the noise. Ray is smart to bring it to audition his amps. Of course there are lots of other reasons to like the R10.

Feb 24, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #145 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The promotion of this event was misleading. To me, that's a bigger problem than the tone of some specific posts.

You weren't at the meet, so you have no first hand knowledge if the event promotion was misleading or not. Having read a few posts here, and siding with them, doesn't qualify you to pass judgement.

Feb 24, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #146 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How could the 100/150 people who aren't a part of head-fi complain?

Point taken, however there were several dozen Head-Fiers present who enjoyed it.

Feb 24, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #147 of 243
Quote:

You weren't at the meet, so you have no first hand knowledge if the event promotion was misleading or not. Having read a few posts here, and siding with them, doesn't qualify you to pass judgement.

He's a head-fier. That's enough reason.

Feb 24, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #150 of 243
Here's some of my experience of my first meet:

When I arrived (8:45 or so) I was greeted by some nice gentlemen from CAS and pointed in the direction of Danny. I met Danny briefly but couldn't really talk since he was running around trying to get things set up and started. I quickly noticed all of Danny's gear surrounding his Cary 303/300. I spotted his Rockhopper Beta22 which I eventually got to listened to. I also noticed that he had quite a lot for sale. I then did a lap to get the lay of the land. All the venders were still getting situated so I talked to a few guys from CAS and listened to some GS1000s. Source was a Marantz CD5001 and the amp was a WooAudio 3 with some upgrades (don't remember what). I slip in some of my music and I really liked the GS1000. Much more open with presence than my RS-1s (which are still breaking in I hope). They didn't seem harsh in the high frequencies like I've read from some people. Of course this could have to do with the Woo.

Next I went to Ray Samuels table and listened to his Apache with balanced 650s. I was not impressed at with the 650s, too laid back and smooth. I plugged in my W3000 (single ended) and my music was back. I really like the W3000 and Apache combo. Then tried Ray's R10s. His source was a 508.24 which I'm very familiar with. I would have liked to have had more time with the R10s to really listen. Although the room was getting loud now so it was getting harder to hear the music ( I also don't think the R10 fit me very well either which could definitely play into my opinion of them.)

Next I went over to Drew's table and listened to a Cary 300 SEI and the Cary 306 SACD Pro using my W3000 and Drew's W5000s. First and foremost the 306 is a tank as it should be for the price. It is serious looking and back it up with its sound. This combination was amazing, maybe the best I heard all day. Next I listened to the SLI80 and Xciter out of a Cary CDP 1. Awful I couldn't listen very long. Unfortunately I think the CDP 1 was the culprit but Drew wasn't really set up to mix and match gear. I also listened to a Grace m902 out of a Music Hall. Nothing to write about there. Once again the source was probably the culprit. I had to leave the show at this point (11:00)

When I came back at 3pm I was able to listen to ingwe's gear. I finally got to hear an Apogee Duet and understand why people rave about them. I also enjoyed his Bryston bp25 preamp and Ayre cx-7 combo. I can see myself picking up a Bryston, the HP out sounded great and the preamp could come in handy too. I also listened to what I know now is Fitz's KG240, DIY amp and Squeezebox. I've been interested in listening to some KG240 from everything I've read about them and Fitz's didn't disappoint. I'm sure the amp was a big reason. Fitz, not sure what happened but I would have liked to have met you. I probably caught you at a time when were walking around?

Around 4pm or so people had cleared out and I was able to hook my Balanced Mini3 up to Danny's Cary 303/300 and do some listening. I also got to listen to the Rockhopper Beta22 which was well worth the wait.

Overall I thought it was a good day for my first meet. Thanks Danny for the soldering iron (I needed to fix my 4-pin to 1/4" adapter).

A few meet thought:

1) As it has been said, we needed more space. It would have been nice to have space to mix and match gear and walk around without running into people. All the talking and discussions were not conducive to headphone listening.
2) Liquid Hifi seemed out of place to me. Nice guy but the speakers were annoying while I was trying to listen to headphones.
3) I'm still not sure where my raffle money is going.

Looking back I can see both side of the debate on the meet. I thank Danny for putting up his own money and setting everything up. I'm sure he spent many hours coordinating everything. I also hope that if there is a next year lessons will be learned and some things done differently. I look forward to more NC meets (big and small) and getting to meet more Head-fiers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back