Southern CanFEST 2009
Feb 23, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #106 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by Packgrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*shrug* I was the long-haired bearded guy who did the walk of shame out of the door around 11:30 or noon. I don't remember the last time I was that embarrassed. Ah well.

Ah well, that sucks. I got there a little after 10:00 I think, and it took some time to setup (mainly playing jenga with our components to get it all to fit), so we probably just missed each other. It would've been nice to have you there during the duration of the event, or at the mini-meet later in my and ingwe's hotel room. =/

Feb 23, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #107 of 243
I won't try to pick apart your words.

It was nice of you to give 5% of the raffle profits to head-fi and take the lead on planning.

There is a reason why few want to take that challenge.

The elderly have a lot of experience above youngsters for sure. I do enjoy getting to hear their equipment I can not afford to purchase. I think head-fi is a great example at how many youngsters are getting more and more involved with headphones and hi-fi these days.

Though I enjoyed a lot of the youngster's gear that was brought, I definitely wouldn't pass up another chance at the adult stuff.
smile.gif

Feb 23, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #108 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by DannyB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The purpose of CanFEST was to bring people together. Headphones, and related equipment, were the excuse. It may not have been done in a way that met everyone's approval. And I now better understand and appreciate the position of a "Meet" being more personal and, for the most part, without manufacturers/MOT.

For whatever reason, you have missed the point entirely.

Quote:

So, I really don't get all the negative comments. Sure, we're not perfect but the intent is to perpetuate the hobby for everyone. Clearly we can do better and seeing constructive comments helps us towards this goal. But I hope everyone understands that our heart is in the right place; to further a wonderful hobby, to give us a diversion and perhaps escape from everyday life when we feel the need. Why does this point seem to be missed by some people? Are some of us missing the forest?

Straw-man crap.

My (unsolicited) advise: Stop spinning and suck it up.

I wish you, and your society, the best of luck.

Feb 23, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #110 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Jones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Danny , thanks again , it seems obvious Head-fi dosn't appreciate the effort . I did and feel it was WAY better than NOTHING . I would never host a meet!

Far from it, we just don't appreciate being misled and then having him dance around the issue to avoid taking any responsibility. If it had been originally billed as a trade show primarily associated with the CAS, we wouldn't be here having this discussion right now. It's nothing to do with the event itself, just the fact that it was not the same kind of event that was being promoted. I'm hoping most people here will understand the distinction there.

Feb 24, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #111 of 243
Quote:

Danny , thanks again , it seems obvious Head-fi dosn't appreciate the effort . I did and feel it was WAY better than NOTHING . I would never host a meet!

We did appreciate the effort. Tell me where anyone said otherwise.

First thing I posted was I had a good time, enjoyed myself and found the organizers friendly and helpful.

We do have concerns. Instead of addressing these concerns, I see spin, straw-man tactics, mis-interpretation, and ridiculous comments such as: "it seems obvious Head-fi dosn't appreciate the effort".
rolleyes.gif

Feb 24, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #112 of 243
DannyB, do you understand that everything you said in your last post has been going been a big part of HF since I joined more than 5 years ago. For the past 3 years we have had an International HF Meet lasting 2 days. We have meets regularly all over the country with plenty of under 30, including as young as teens. I'm not sure what you point other then to show us you really have no idea what HF is or has been. You post as if you were the first to have this great idea of getting a bunch of members of HF together with each other and/or the vendors. Again, this has been happening for a long time. However, when it's done, it's always been for the benefit of the members. Vendors have been attending not only the annual events but also the smaller local events.

I'm sorry if I have misunderstood you but that post sounds like you think you have created something with your "CanFest". Boy, that sounds familiar to me. So perhaps it's time you got off your high horse and join the rest of down here. Congrats on the meet! It seems some of those in attendance really enjoyed it.

Feb 24, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #113 of 243
Quote:

I have stated about 3 times now that I appreciate the effort it has taken, and that I'm glad the pros and vendors could be there. Unlike what ingwe might think, I'm not playing suck-up or making excuses for anyone. I *AM* glad that the effort was made and it's wonderful to have so much pro gear. I in no way want to discourage Danny or anyone else from attempting to organize an event in the future, nor do I want to discourage vendors from taking part. I WANT them there, as I got to try some gear I wouldn't have otherwise gotten to hear.

That said, the aspect of the event that I drove all that way for got almost completely dumped. As one of the few non-vendors to set up, I felt like a complete *******. Alwayswantmore has such impressive high-end equipment that he could be mistaken for a vendor, and kind of was trying to represent RWA/ALO on a personal scale. I was hoping to do something similar for DIY Paradise, so that the community could hear some diy gear that few people have heard. Sandwiched between Alwayswantmore's probably $10k+ personal rig and Joe Grado himself, I felt like a dick with my modest gear. I felt worse when one person, be it a CAS or Head-Fi member I don't know, seemed to DROP my Beyers on the table after seeing that they weren't top of the line. This may have been a misperception on my part, but I'm still seething about this. I wouldn't be so cavalier with someone's iBuds, for crying out loud.

So anyway, I'm not pointing the finger at Danny and saying he screwed up or anything like that. That's counterproductive, and not true. I feel the Head-Fi community aspect got neglected a bit, and I'm disappointed, but hopefully that will simply inform any future Meet plans to give that aspect greater consideration. Apparently Danny is already aware of that, so done deal.

OK enough ranting from me. I've been trying very hard not to crap on anyone involved, and I hope everyone understands that.

Feb 24, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #115 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We did appreciate the effort. Tell me where anyone said otherwise.

First thing I posted was I had a good time, enjoyed myself and found the organizers friendly and helpful.

We do have concerns. Instead of addressing these concerns, I see spin, straw-man tactics, mis-interpretation, and ridiculous comments such as: "it seems obvious Head-fi dosn't appreciate the effort".
rolleyes.gif

I take personell objection to your snide remark

Feb 24, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #116 of 243
Quote:

So much for another another charlotte meet

Why? Meets are easy to put on. You get a room at a hotel that can hold 15 or 20 people. You start a thread and hopefully you have enough locals to attend. You take up a collection during the meet, everyone hopefully kicks in to cover the room cost. We've been doing them like that for 5 years now. Sometimes vendors show up and sometimes they don't. They don't have to be a major undertaking.

Feb 24, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #117 of 243
Quote:

I take personell objection to your snide remark

I stand by my snide remark. And welcome to my ignore list.

Feb 24, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #118 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by Packgrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unlike what ingwe might think, I'm not playing suck-up or making excuses for anyone.

Did I say that?

Feb 24, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #119 of 243
It was not my intent to suggest I am the original initiator of the ideas you suggested. I don't believe I stated that anywhere and if it was somehow implied, that was not my intent.

Regarding your statement,
"...you really have no idea what HF is or has been"
perhaps you are correct.
However, I am beginning to get a more clear understanding of some of the people on this site.

Feb 24, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #120 of 243
Quote:

It was not my intent to suggest I am the original initiator of the ideas you suggested. I don't believe I stated that anywhere and if it was somehow implied, that was not my intent.

Regarding your statement,
"...you really have no idea what HF is or has been"
perhaps you are correct.
However, I am beginning to get a more clear understanding of some of the people on this site.

Your talking about a lawyer and another man who talks out of both sides of his mouth.Thanks for putting me on your ignore list.
PS someone step in and end this sad thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back