Southern CanFEST 2009
Mar 5, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #241 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The tube amp with the plate caps on the tubes.

Grid caps actually, and that would be the modified Bada PH-12. The brief list of what's been done to it is a new push-pull output stage to replace the single-ended one (designed to drive even 4 ohm speakers), custom heatsinks on the side of the chassis, removal of the noisy cooling fan, regulated supply for the output stage, elimination of the 2nd gain stage (which allowed the driver stage to be relocated to the side tubes, reducing it to 2 tubes instead of 3), recalculated plate and cathode resistors to get rid of excessive distortion, and a bunch of other small odds and ends. At some point I'll go back and rework the power supply to be dual rail (and make corresponding changes to the output stage) so I can eliminate the friggin' output coupling capacitors.

Mar 7, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #242 of 243
Sorry I took so long to post my impression. I had a friend there who took lots of pics that I have been trying unsuccessfully to get copies of to post. Anyway I really had a blast! It was my first time hearing GS1000s and some of the higher end electrostatics. Both impressed me but left me still feeling good about my own rig. Electrostatics are something I have not yet gotten into but its a different sound in a way I don't know how to describe. I do know I like it.
smily_headphones1.gif
There was a Darkvoice on the equipment list that apparently didn't make it. I really wanted to know if that is an amp that I can, in good conscience, recommend to new people with a low budget. I've almost purchased one several times. All the people there were very nice. Dennis blew me away when he offered up a second DAC on that last raffle. What an awesome guy! I liked meeting all the vendors there. I thought it was a real privilege to not only show off my amp, but also to have the guy who built it in the same room. At Ray's table the Raptor stole IMO. His portable amps were very nice too. A friend of mine won the auction on the Predator and I have now had a chance to listen to it in a quiet setting. It has a great sounding amp. The DAC section is decent. Its cool that it all fits in such a small package. I drooled all over the Cary SLI 80. Its way out of my price range! I also didn't think it did as well with cans as I know it does with speakers. Still an awesome product. If you have the means I highly recommend it. Kent's setup was very clean. I didn't find out as much about it as I should have but it was very nice. Sorry you had to part with the Wadia Kent.

Lastly Joe's speech was a lot of fun! I can't wait till its posted.

Do we have a date for the next meet? I'm ready to go again.
gs1000.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #243 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grid caps actually, and that would be the modified Bada PH-12. The brief list of what's been done to it is a new push-pull output stage to replace the single-ended one (designed to drive even 4 ohm speakers), custom heatsinks on the side of the chassis, removal of the noisy cooling fan, regulated supply for the output stage, elimination of the 2nd gain stage (which allowed the driver stage to be relocated to the side tubes, reducing it to 2 tubes instead of 3), recalculated plate and cathode resistors to get rid of excessive distortion, and a bunch of other small odds and ends. At some point I'll go back and rework the power supply to be dual rail (and make corresponding changes to the output stage) so I can eliminate the friggin' output coupling capacitors.

Thanks Fitz, sounds like a step above what it is stock, almost a completely different beast all together. I think once you get dual power supply rails you will be able to take even another notch up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back