Southern CanFEST 2009
Feb 26, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #211 of 243
Originally Posted by Fitz
"I'm real bad with remembering faces, but I think the guy you're talking about might've been ejmcgee."

I have a (neatly?) trimmed grey beard. I didn't have a small backpack, I do like Sennheiser and I do believe cables make a difference.
I had my e'stats there and was gladly answering any questions to anyone who was interested.
At one point when I was talking to Fitz I did ask him what opamps he was using and I apologize odigg, if I was interrupting your conversation with him, it was kind of hectic in there.

BTW Fitz, thank you for the compliment! (post #139)
Like I said this was my first meet and I enjoyed it. Ahhh.....ignorance is bliss. I had thought this was strictly a Head-Fi meet and I'm sure if I attended a 'typical' one I'd enjoy that too!

Feb 26, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #212 of 243
That was me. Long moustache and all. I was trying to transition between two differently cabled 650's and the Denons. There were distinct differences in the Denons. One was definately more detailed (I believe the D5000's), but coming off the 650's I actually preferred the others.

There were three of us there, didn't know each other at all, just started swapping headphones back and forth. I think at one time we had 3 sets of phones in the air at one time.

I spent quite a bit of time with the Isabella and though it was a fantastic amp. I really enjoyed the Amphora but my problem was I spent so much time swapping phones around comparing cables I think I kind of lost my focus after a while. At this point due to that and my inexperience I'm not sure if I can pinpoint a distinct signature.

I will say that I distinctly remember Rays Apache and B-52.

One thing of interest also is I ended up leaving my RS-1's unattended at a couple tables especially when I got tied up at Drew's table and there with no issues at all.

Feb 26, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #213 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who was it that had the the modded orthos swt61 made? I couldn't help it and had to go over and straighten up the cable some as it wasn't being properly taken care of. My warranty does not cover this sort of treatment.
tongue_smile.gif

I was fortunate enough to purchase these from a fellow Head-Fier a few months ago. His description of these, in his original ad, went as follows:

"Ultra-rare "Strawberry Donuts" - S2 Audio woodied and recabled Yamaha YH-100 orthodynamics.

What is on offer is a pair of S2 Audio woodied and recabled and otherwise massively modified Yamaha YH-100 orthodynamic headphones. Essentially, these are YH-100 drivers, in a Beyer DT880 frame, with Beyer genuine leather headband and pads, and with the large Cocobolo "donut" woodies. Nice generous 3M cable, 1/4" terminated."

PS: Fitz, thanks for taking care of the cable.
regular_smile .gif

Feb 26, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #214 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by ejmcgee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"I'm real bad with remembering faces, but I think the guy you're talking about might've been ejmcgee."

I have a (neatly?) trimmed grey beard. I didn't have a small backpack, I do like Sennheiser and I do believe cables make a difference.
I had my e'stats there and was gladly answering any questions to anyone who was interested.
At one point when I was talking to Fitz I did ask him what opamps he was using and I apologize odigg, if I was interrupting your conversation with him, it was kind of hectic in there.

BTW Fitz, thank you for the compliment! (post #139)
Like I said this was my first meet and I enjoyed it. Ahhh.....ignorance is bliss. I had thought this was strictly a Head-Fi meet and I'm sure if I attended a 'typical' one I'd enjoy that too!

Ah nuts! At least I wasn't completely off base or anything. I was going mainly by the beard and discussion of electrostats.
tongue.gif

Feb 26, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #215 of 243
What was that wonderful hi-def demo disc you had? I think it was mostly vocal / guitar?

I want to order a copy. Thanks, Kent

Feb 26, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #216 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by ejmcgee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No apologies needed. I used your question about opamps as my cue to get back to headphone listening
smily_headphones1.gif

The person I was asking about in my previous post was definitely not you since I know who you are now.

Feb 26, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #217 of 243
Drew,

What was that wonderful hi-def demo disc you had? I think it was mostly vocal / guitar?

Feb 26, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #218 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwayswantmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Drew,

Would that be the Beyerdynamic demo disc?
IMG_NEW.jpg

Feb 26, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #219 of 243
I never bothered to look at the cover, so not sure. Hopefully Drew will catch the post. He brought the disc to my table for a short listen. The sound was excellent. Kent

Feb 26, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #220 of 243
ksc75smile.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah nuts! At least I wasn't completely off base or anything. I was going mainly by the beard and discussion of electrostats.
tongue.gif

Fitz, since you were going by just the beard and e'stats you were 100% correct!

Quote:

Originally Posted by odigg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The person I was asking about in my previous post was definitely not you since I know who you are now.

odigg, you had 2 out of 5, and since the person was not me, we can inversely rationalize this equation, coming up with 3 out of 5. So, according to my calculations, you were 60% correct!

Feb 26, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #221 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwayswantmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Drew,

It was not the Beyerdynamic disc. The music on that is a bunch of ambient/electronica. I know because I threw it away a day ago
smily_headphones1.gif

There was also Panasonic or Phillips demo disc at the Moon Audio Table.

Feb 27, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #222 of 243
talking about hifi disc, here is my experience in the meeting:

I think it was at Jack Wu's table, but I can't remember it clearly. They hook various amps with the same source. The moment I put the headphone on, I immediately fall in love with the song that was playing. I am not a fan of jazz, but the female vocal was so pure, lush and seductive that I totally forgot about amps, headphones, just enjoy the music. I thought it was Jack's disc. I didn't noticed that the guy sit besides me wanted to leave and he was so kind that he waited for me to finish the track. When he took the CD out, I realized it was his disc, and he was waiting there for a few minutes. What a nice gentleman! I told him it was a great disc.

It is Patricia Barber's Cafe Blue. I ordered it first thing on Sunday, still on its way. I just can't wait to listen to it again.

I don't remember what he looks like, but here I just want to say thanks to that head-fier for introducing this great disc to me.

Feb 27, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #223 of 243
Cafe Blue is a classic reference CD.
There's an SACD and Gold version, too.

Feb 27, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #224 of 243
I totally enjoyed my first albeit controversial canfest/cas meet having joined headfi a month ago. Kudos go to DannyB, Drew and some of the friendly CAS members. I had been to several CES and stereophile shows in the past being a part owner of a now defunct stereo company. I remembered a lot of the vendors having gripes due to lack of space vs other vendors who were personally closer t o the organizers etc. Those were addressed eventually and has made those shows what they are now. I heard it's still not perfect and some of the same old complaints still exsist. I enjoyed listening to the different gear that I just read over here in this forum. My goals were to hook up with Scott Nixon and look for a ss amp for my newfound hobby/moneypit since my home speaker set up is powered my Mr. Majesky's last production run of tube amps before he started RAM tubes.
I was successful hooking up with Scott who promised to fix and upgrade my cd player he modded years ago. I remember using that same player with our reference speakers in one of the shows and blowing away the competition with setups costing over $75,000. My second goal was never met after I listened to the ef1, woo6e, p52 and Fitz' modded BADA. My romance with that signature sound was rekindled. There is a monopoly in the sound that cannot be reproduced by ss. I can hear the slide of a musicians fingers on the frets of a stirng instrument and the air pushed by Billie Holiday's voice that is unique with the sound coming from those glorious tubes. The vendors were also quite professional and ethical compared to some of those big shows I attended, so there is something to be said about smaller venues with a familial and friendly ambience. Fitz, your BADA is awesome and the future of diyer's is bright with a geek headfier's like you. I'll take your amp home anytime. I'll even drive to GA for that sound. The Diy guy you were talking to was Scott Nixon. He is a world class audio designer from speakers to crossovers etc. His new dac is the rage of the undergound audiophile world. The p52 and r10 combo is a lot of headfiers dream rig. The couple even cost more than my car. Jack and his father were a proud and humble tandem with their excellent products. Their flagship amp was not even there. Fang was also very professional, humble and accomodating. The ef1, pk1 and his setup of products were outstanding.That is just part of the asian fiber. The RSA lineup was also stellar with a lot of the portables sounding better than some full amps. Then there is a headfier who has a great setup with his macbook, ld mk2, and senns. His name escapes me but you know who you are, and if every headfier is as friendly and engaging as he is, Headfi has a very bright future. My fellow drummer with the Isabella and the organic looking amphora prototype was very accomodating. We listened to the latter using a variety of alo modded headphones and the ultrasone gave the amp the best tonal balance of them all. Ken considers the ultrasone 9 his reference headphone and deservingly so. I wish the rudistors, eddie currents, millets, zana deux's, 800 and 8 were there. I guess I just have to plan visiting my old digs. California here I come!

Feb 27, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #225 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cafe Blue is a classic reference CD.
There's an SACD and Gold version, too.

And on vinyl too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Her "live" recording "Companion" is incredible. Try that too. Then, if you still want more, get "Modern Cool" followed by, well anything she has recorded.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back