Soundstage mod for Sennheiser HD-555/595 (Re-Mastered)
Jan 6, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #32 of 43
Aug 11, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #36 of 43
yeah im sorry im pretty new at this! i actually just bought a pair of HD598's today and well lets just say as far as leakage goes...... well there isnt a point in even talking about it haha.

Aug 11, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #39 of 43

Quote:
yeah im sorry im pretty new at this! i actually just bought a pair of HD598's today and well lets just say as far as leakage goes...... well there isnt a point in even talking about it haha.

Don't do it on your HD 598.

I've listened to them without the enclosure and the bass is too overwhelming. It killed all the details and clarity.

Jan 24, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #40 of 43
I've had my pair of 555s for more then a year now and have loved them oh so much.  I've been thinking of doing this mod for a few months and was deterred by the fact that I couldn't go back if I didn't like what I heard.  I then took the suggestion above to just take the drivers outside the housing to test the sound.  Man...why did I not do this sooner.

The sound has come out of the box it was in and sounds a lot more clear than before.  There was a little bit of punch lost on the low end, but it's well worth the clarity and improved distance of the sound for sure, especially if they are amped.  Just make sure that whoever you live with knows that what they heard before will be much louder :D

Apr 1, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #41 of 43
Dunno if anyone else has suggested this, but I used a variable-speed dremel to mod my 555's. The flex-shaft attachment made things much easier, but you could probably pull this off without it.
To prep, I put a small piece of clear tape over the holes on the backs of my drivers. If you've ever used a dremel on plastic before, you'll know that little bits of plastic get EVERYWHERE, and you certainly don't want those in your drivers.
To get most of the plastic grill out, I used a spiral saw bit, then used a grinder to remove the rest of it up to the outer edge. I cleaned the edges up with sanding drums and used a utility knife to get rid of the frayed pieces of mesh around the edge. 
The final product came out just as clean (if not a little cleaner) than the "perfect" image on the first page, so it was well worth the few hours of work it took to do this. 

Overall, I'm very satisfied with this mod. The improvement in sound quality definitely justifies the risk in this mod. At the cost of a little bass, the clarity of the highs and mids was significantly improved. I just can't believe that I didn't do this sooner, since I've had my 555s for about a year now, but was too scared to do anything beyond the foam removal mod until now.

Jun 30, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #42 of 43
I wanted to ask if and when I do this to the HD595 if I could come to you for help if I have a question on what I am doing because I am a little nervous about doing something wrong. Thanks for this tutorial, it is helpful

Jun 19, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #43 of 43
I did this mod for my firend, who needed proper headphones. Stock ones are not bad at all, but there is this bit annoying bump at 400Hz.
So i took cans apart, removed that felt thing and dremel whole plastic mesh away. I allso put some dynamat here and there and yes, there is less that 400Hz range now.
I wish i could have a bit more sub bass down from 50Hz and more sparkle up from 10Khz. Maybe one could try to punch mod to the drivers for a bass. But at least that bass is solid and goes very low indeed.
Not bad at 20€ second hand cans, with 20min of work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back