Soundmagic pl-30 20.00 shipped
Nov 23, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #481 of 523
I got my PL-30s from Focalprice recently, along with some PL-12s and a few fake cx300s for spare tips. I burned them in for about 4 days straight, and have used them for the past few days.

They are very comfortable. They seem to fit my ears quite well, although I always prefer the cords that hang rather than over the ear. That's probably my fault for having funny ears, but they seem to stay on rather well compared to others I've tried. I appreciate the variety of tips they included (which is more than came with the PL-12) but so far I'm getting a great fit from the stock medium blacks that were already attached.

As far as sound goes, I like them more than any cheap IEMs I've tried. That list includes CX300, EP630, Bass Freq, Mylarone originals, JVC FX33, EX-71, OVC TC20, and a few others I've forgotten. I think the PL-30 should be at the top of every list when suggesting a cheap IEM. I especially like the midbass, an area which is sorely lacking in most of the above mentioned cheapies. Snare drums do not sound all nasal, but have a solid heft and snap to them, and the larger toms sound, well.... they just sound real compared to many IEMs that can't get it right. This midbass does not come at the expense of the rest of the spectrum (Bass Freq, I'm looking in your direction.....) but is very well balanced.

The only downside for me is the limited bass. Low frequencies are reproduced faithfully but are not prominent as I might like. They really remind me of an excellent pair of monitor speakers, like my Onix Reference 1s. They don't "slam" but the stuff that is there is beautiful. I guess that's the sacrafice the made for the price, to keep things well balanced.

Sorry for the long post. Overall I highly recommend these, above all other cheap IEMs. I am currently breaking in the PL-12s and will post about them when I can, but initial comparison was that the PL-30 is much better and definately worth the extra $10 or so.

Quick question: I threw out my manual already, can someone tell me which settings are which when using the bass knob? I can't tell a difference at all.

Nov 23, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #482 of 523
wow that FocalPrice site you mentioned has some insane deals... most those products prob fakes from China but who the hell cares lol!

Nov 23, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #483 of 523
Clear Bass position, is supposed to be when the knob is in the position the furthest distance from the center, or furthest away from the blue(left side) and red(right side) strain reliefs. The opposite position is the deep bass.
I don´t believe that there´s much difference either, but then again I haven´t really tried comparing the two position against each other very much, someone mentioned that the knob might break easily if you keep turning it back and forth to much.

Nov 23, 2008 at 7:51 AM Post #486 of 523
I think it is a permanent mod. I would not want to put them back on though. I had another pair of PL-30 with the nobs on and sold them and kept the moded PL-30. I find the mod to have better bass and much better sound stage plus they are louder. When moded put your fingers over the holes when in the ears lightly and hear the sound stage go away and less bass and not as full sounding till you take the fingers away. Keep in mind another member moded his and didnot like it.

Nov 24, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #487 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by LTUCCI1924 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nobody going to try the fate mod?

well, I just removed the knobs and I can confirm the bass increased.
I've listened a few songs now but I wouldn't recommend it, the bass increased but the overall sound isn't so "clear" anymore. too muddy
but that's my first first impression. perhaps my opinion in it will change if I've listened more :p

Nov 24, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #488 of 523
I bought two pairs of PL30s; each at different times from Focalprice.com before they increased the price. I do find them more enjoyable than the various canalphones (cx300/hafx33/66, etc.) that I own in their price range. However, I wonder about their quality control that is giving them varying reviews from users (besides taste in music, fit, etc.). The reason I state this is that after burning in the second pair (over 30 hours of pink noise), the bass is tighter and the highs are more extended on the second pair! The overall sound signature is still the same, just one sounds warmer and the other a little more analytical. The knobs on both pairs are set for clear bass and the tips used are the same. Does anyone else that purchased multiple pairs draw the same conclusion?

Nov 26, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #489 of 523
Wait, I just got something in the mail today 11-16-08.
Its a new pair of PL-30 which looks like brand new.
Focalprice sent me a new unit.
I guess I have to due diligence and give this PL-30 a thorough
look over. Its really weird how something of this nature plays tricks on your emotions.

Nov 26, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #490 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by LWLew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought two pairs of PL30s; each at different times from Focalprice.com before they increased the price. I do find them more enjoyable than the various canalphones (cx300/hafx33/66, etc.) that I own in their price range. However, I wonder about their quality control that is giving them varying reviews from users (besides taste in music, fit, etc.). The reason I state this is that after burning in the second pair (over 30 hours of pink noise), the bass is tighter and the highs are more extended on the second pair! The overall sound signature is still the same, just one sounds warmer and the other a little more analytical. The knobs on both pairs are set for clear bass and the tips used are the same. Does anyone else that purchased multiple pairs draw the same conclusion?

Have you flipped the knobs on both pairs back and forth? I never touched the knobs at first, for fear of breaking them. But then I tried a couple of days ago (they were kind of stuck at first) and then when I turned them back to clear bass mode they sounded more open with much better midrange. So I was thinking maybe the sound might be sensitive to the position of the knobs (which may not be up to standards).

Nov 27, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #491 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by mape00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you flipped the knobs on both pairs back and forth? I never touched the knobs at first, for fear of breaking them. But then I tried a couple of days ago (they were kind of stuck at first) and then when I turned them back to clear bass mode they sounded more open with much better midrange. So I was thinking maybe the sound might be sensitive to the position of the knobs (which may not be up to standards).

I did fiddle with the knobs. There is definitely a noticable difference between the two positions. I prefer the clear bass position. The bass is less muddy. The newer of the two I received is a little more extended in the highs along with tighter bass. I actually like it better. Don't get me wrong, they both exhibit the same attributes that make them easy to listen to; but there is a difference between the two. I would never have known if I didn't have the two to compare. Though they are worth the money I paid for them!

Nov 28, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #492 of 523
Anyone have a good source for comfortable isolation replacement tips that work with these?

Dec 9, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #494 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbarry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So generally the new $25 ones are better than the older $20 ones right?

Do you think the drop of U.S. dollar value will actually make a headphone sounds better?

Dec 9, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #495 of 523
hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back