Soundmagic pl-30 20.00 shipped
Oct 29, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #378 of 523
I recommend leaving the knobs alone. Maybe try it out to see which setting you like, but then leave it alone and pretend it isn't there. I am still waiting on my replacement...

Oct 29, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #379 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckhirnigs113 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recommend leaving the knobs alone. Maybe try it out to see which setting you like, but then leave it alone and pretend it isn't there. I am still waiting on my replacement...

icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Oct 29, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #380 of 523
Just want to tell you guys that after a month of waiting, I finally received my PL-30 in the mail today from FocalPrice (it only takes a week to reach my house, apparently the delay has more to do with out-of-stock issue rather than scam or slow shipping). As far as I can tell, they seems genuine. I'll send an email to SoundMagic to reconfirm that this is the real deal. Review will be included after the burn-in in my multiple IEM review thread, most likely by the end of this week.

[Update]
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got an reply from SoundMagic: First, the PL-30 from FocalPrice looks real enough to them (from picture I took on my PL-30). Second, they haven't find any counterfeit of PL-30 in China so they assume everyone of them should be real.

From my own understanding, SoundMagic don't actively sell their product in the China market, but rather choose to focus on Hong Kong and oversea market, which explains why not much interest from the counterfeiter in faking their product

Oct 30, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #382 of 523
I just received my earphones in the mail. I was extremely excited about them and I was expecting a huge surprice.

My first impression. Well... These earphones fail HARD in the bass department! Bass is really dry and absolutely no bump feeling. I am a bass head and bass is the first thing I notice in an earphone. I tried different tips and bass knob configurations but no luck
frown.gif
. I set it to deep bass and I hear no bass. I set it to clear bass and I hear only highs. Sorry to tell you this guys but if you are looking for a bass earphone look somewhere else.
I owned CX300's - much cleaner and deeper bass; and I also had Panasonic HJE-70's which produced really neat bass, better than the CX300.

There is no miracle in these headphones, in my opinion they are quite overrated; but in the end this is just me.

By the way, does anyone have any tip for me on how to increase the bass on these buds?

EDIT: MAKE SURE YOU GET A PERFECT SEAL, OTHERWISE YOU ARE WASTING SQ.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #383 of 523
I sounds as if you are not getting a good seal. Have you tried all the different tips?

Oct 30, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #384 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckhirnigs113 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sounds as if you are not getting a good seal. Have you tried all the different tips?

Yeah, I know thats the problem, because after trying the smallest tips and pushing them really hard inside my ears squishing my ears really tight I get a really nice bass response. Well I tried all the tips and all my previous tips and non of them give me a good seal. I will try to play with them, but if I'm not getting a good seal all the bass is getting out
frown.gif

Do you guys have any suggestion on how to get a good seal on the PL-30?

Oct 30, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #385 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnXioZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received my earphones in the mail. I was extremely excited about them and I was expecting a huge surprice.

My first impression. Well... These earphones fail HARD in the bass department! Bass is really dry and absolutely no bump feeling. I am a bass head and bass is the first thing I notice in an earphone. I tried different tips and bass knob configurations but no luck
frown.gif
. I set it to deep bass and I hear no bass. I set it to clear bass and I hear only highs. Sorry to tell you this guys but if you are looking for a bass earphone look somewhere else.
I owned CX300's - much cleaner and deeper bass; and I also had Panasonic HJE-70's which produced really neat bass, better than the CX300.

There is no miracle in these headphones, in my opinion they are quite overrated; but in the end this is just me.

By the way, does anyone have any tip for me on how to increase the bass on these buds?

Yeah, I received mine a couple days ago and my impressions are similar. I am also coming from the CX300's, and don't really plan on spending much for iems. I've only owned the CX300's and Marshmallows. I ordered the PL-30's with high hopes, and to be honest, I wasn't really impressed by the PL-30's. Then again, I never felt like I've been wearing them right.

Before I make further judgements, I'd like to make sure I'm wearing these right. Does anyone have any tips for wearing iems? I've never felt like I'm getting the full sound. Is my best bet to just try different tips and push them in as far as possible? Like how do you know when you get a good seal?

Thanks.

Oct 30, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #386 of 523
For me I've found out that after using the smallest tips and pushing the earphones extremely hard in to my ears and squishing my ears give me what most people in here are talking. However there is no way I will be walking around the street with my hands squishing my ears and pushing the earphones in my ear.
I've tried all the tips with no luck
frown.gif

Oct 30, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #387 of 523
These phones are canalphones, not IEMs, therefore they will be very tough to get a deep seal with. Hence, the less than perfect sound performance. I had the same experience. When you push on them and they are as deep as they go, they sound pretty good. But otherwise, not so hot. For $19.82, you can't expect much more. But if you want a real seal, you need an IEM, like the er6i, the SA6, the AL i716, Etys, Klipsch Image X10s/X5s.

In the end, you usually get what you pay for.

Oct 30, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #388 of 523
I have with great interest been following all the threads on soundmagic pl-30, and many more.. but never really had the time to post my personal opinions, you guys should know, job, family, wife or girlfriends, friends are first priority...
So out of curiosity I ordered them on october 15, received them two day ago.. As usually I burnt them in for 25-30 hours with pink noise, and repeately 60 sec frequenze sweeps up to 2000-10000 Hz, don`t want to blow them out.
So how do the sound, first of all, compared to what I have been or still is listening to at the moment, I travel a lot so have the time to compare.. Cheaper priced IEM´s like JVHafx 33mod,55,66, sennheiser 300x, skullcandy inkd`d, shure 2c, crossroads, denon ACH551. Well, hands down the pL-30 wins in many ways, by the way just to let you know I`m not a basshead...
Compared to more expensive IEM or buds that I have experienced or still have, IM 716, UE3, UE5, etymotic 6ic, Denon 751, yuin OK2 and Pk2(not an IEM), (for just 20 us dollars the IM-30 is a great bargain that I can only recommend.
If anybody has the interest, I can write a more detailed review of the pl-30
compared to my experiences.

Oct 30, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #389 of 523
So.... I read through the whole thread.... are they real? are they fake? are they stuck in customs? is it a scam?

and after 40 pages, what most people are saying is that the earphones are only so-so anyway?
wink.gif

Oct 30, 2008 at 11:33 AM Post #390 of 523
Can de PL30 beats the UE Super Fi.5? If so, I'll order direct a pair at Focalprice. If not, I'll just keep my f.5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back