Soundmagic pl-30 20.00 shipped
Mar 18, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #511 of 523
I have to say, I've been following Head-fi for years, consulting it for all my headphone purchases. I have finally decided to join...lol theres goes my wallet. Also, I have ordered one of these on focalprice. Can't wait to get it! I do have a question though...how will they compare to my modded Sharp HP-MD33s IEMs?

Apr 2, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #512 of 523
I just got a pair of PL30 from focalprice, and while for the price it is a good deal, they didn't really live it up to the "hype". My reference headphones are the Koss KSC75 ($15-20 retail) and Etymotic ER-4P ($250 retail). Although, they are a step up from the iPod earbuds, they sound a little muddy and "slow" as some others have pointed out. Also, they seem to lack treble and overall clarity when using an iPod shuffle as the source, whereas the KSC75 has clearer highs with the same source.

They do look better than KSC75 in my opinion, and they will probably work well for use in the gym. Oh, they're also very comfortable and I was able to wear them for hours without any discomfort.

Aug 1, 2009 at 11:26 AM Post #513 of 523
Im very interested in getting the PL30, and i read at the top of this topic that they are available for 20usd from focalprice, but when i check its 24.4usd.

Where to get them for 20usd incl shipping?

Aug 1, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #514 of 523
I ended up giving mine away. The main problem I had was that they were too picky about a source - there was way too much hiss with some of my hardware. Most notably with the Fiio E5 amp at audible levels, my phone, and my computer. I blame the low impedance and high sensitivity.

Besides that - the mids were nice, but there wasn't enough overall detail or clarity in the highs to make up for the hiss.

The one thing I did like is the comfort - they're very easy to wear.

Aug 3, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #516 of 523
The price rose, but if you check FP again, they are listed at $22, well last I checked yesterday night they dropped to $22.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 3, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #517 of 523
I bought these and was very disappointed. They've been promoted here as if they were the "KSC75s of IEMs" but they are nowhere near the KSC75s in relative sound quality. They sound like cheap earbuds to me. With these, you get what you pay for.

To put things in perspective, in my opinion:

KSC75 ($15) are 75% of the sound quality of Grado SR-225 ($200), which I previously owned.

PL30 ($22) are 25% of the sound quality of the Etymotic ER4p ($170).

Save your money for something better.

Aug 3, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #518 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by lbholde /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought these and was very disappointed. They've been promoted here as if they were the "KSC75s of IEMs" but they are nowhere near the KSC75s in relative sound quality. They sound like cheap earbuds to me. With these, you get what you pay for.

To put things in perspective, in my opinion:

KSC75 ($15) are 75% of the sound quality of Grado SR-225 ($200), which I previously owned.

PL30 ($22) are 25% of the sound quality of the Etymotic ER4p ($170).

Save your money for something better.

You mean i can get better earphones than PL30 for 20usd?
Where and what?

I ordered PL30 for 24usd from houseofdap..

Aug 3, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #519 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by PharaohsVizier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The price rose, but if you check FP again, they are listed at $22, well last I checked yesterday night they dropped to $22.
smily_headphones1.gif

How come they prices change all the time at FC.
I read the posts and the price is different for each post.

Aug 3, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #520 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikoz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And i ended up ordering both PL30 and PL50, to compare them my self.
Thanks for the comments.

While I can't speak to the PL50s, since I am waiting on them to arrive, I can speak to the PL30s. Just make sure that you break them in for about 50 hrs before you listen to them critically. Early on, sibilance was an issue. I also had to look around for a tip that would seal effectively. They are now my second favorite IEMs, after my S4s.

Aug 3, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #521 of 523
Give the PL-30's time, when I first got them, the bass wasn't there, and the highs wern't that great. But over time, the bass loosened up and appeared as well as the mids and they became very comfortable phones to listen to and wear. Although the jack on mine died after only 6 months.

May 15, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #523 of 523
nah pl30 is dynamic. its bigger brother pl50 is BA however :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back