SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
Nov 8, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #676 of 1,386
I have a pair of these that I haven't opened yet and I don't know what to do. The week I bought them to replace my HD555s at my desk, I found an amazing deal on HD650s. So I have the HD650s at my desk. I do a lot of travel but I prefer to use my ety hf3s for their fit and isolation.

How good are these phones? Am I missing much by not trying them out? The box is constantly tempting me to open it :/

Nov 8, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #677 of 1,386
Open them, I'm not actually a fan of the HD650.

Nov 8, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #678 of 1,386
I believe the power requirements are completely overblown. The Mad dog can be driven fine out of the E11! They are sensitive, I have even been able to run them from my lower Fiio amps although it's not the same as when I use them with the 11. I prefer the Mad dog running from the E6 than the Soundmagic.

Nov 9, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #680 of 1,386
  A matter of taste. I've heard Mad Dog from variety of portable amp and I don't like what I'm hearing from any of them.

Like Wise, yea it's sensitive enough but the Orthodynanic driver needs more current than an E6 or E11 can provide. Granted you may like the thicker sound, but when you pair it up with something at least like an E12 then your having the Full MD experince. 

That said it's a matter of preferance. If you like the MD you might also like the HD 650, I hear they both have a nice thick laid back sound... something the Hp 100 doesn't have :3 it's more lively and transparent imo 

Nov 9, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #681 of 1,386
I wasn't that amazed by the HD650 to be honest. It was good but I prefer the MA900 which has a more liquid sound and bigger soundstage.

Nov 9, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #682 of 1,386
The HD 650's are also known to scale up nicely with good amplification... or so i've read!

Anyways, got the beyer 770 pads in the mail the other day. I barely got them on, had to stick out my tongue at angles i didn't know were possible, but i did it :D

My ears still touch the drivers and they lost about 30% isolation, which is a lot. The bass also lost some oomph. On the plus side, it did get more brighter with a more airy sound, the sound stage also opened up a little bit. I'll post some pictures when i get around to it. They look pretty cool lol

Nov 9, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #683 of 1,386
  The HD 650's are also known to scale up nicely with good amplification... or so i've read!

Anyways, got the beyer 770 pads in the mail the other day. I barely got them on, had to stick out my tongue at angles i didn't know were possible, but i did it :D

My ears still touch the drivers and they lost about 30% isolation, which is a lot. The bass also lost some oomph. On the plus side, it did get more brighter with a more airy sound, the sound stage also opened up a little bit. I'll post some pictures when i get around to it. They look pretty cool lol

In terms of comfort, how big would you say the improvement was?

Nov 9, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #684 of 1,386
  In terms of comfort, how big would you say the improvement was?

Well my biggest concern was how my ears touched the drivers.. the other less important issue was the leather pads got warm and a little sticky after a few hours. I did put some paper towel under both ear pads and i barely feel them on my head now (the back half of the ear cup, so the driers are angled, works just as good as if you put paper towel around the whole diameter of the cup). They still do get a little warm, but there's only so much you can do with closed headphones. I also put paper towel under the leather earpads before i ordered the 770 ear pads and it worked, but i still didn't like the feel of that leather... after an hour or so i just couldn't wear them.

So if i had to rate them now for comfort, i'd give em a 8.5/10... i'm just so use to the oval shaped headphone cups and how they merge to your head (HD 558), i have to get back to you on long term comfort though, i haven't really had the time recently to give them a proper go, same as with the sound, i'm not very good with describing changes, i still have to do A/B testing, although i probably won't because it's so hard to put the ear pads off and on.. lol

I find with the HP100's, a lot of the headphone clamp focuses on the the top of the earcups, while the bottom just kinda sits in place.. is this just me?

Meh, i would have got rid of them a long time ago if they didn't sound so good. damnit

Nov 9, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #685 of 1,386
Has anyone tried Alpha pads on these?

Nov 9, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #687 of 1,386

I don't think they would fit on the cups.  Someone tried the W1000x pads and reported positive changes.

That would be me. I found the changes positive at the time. Pushed the mids and bass slighty forward and added depth to the sound stage. 

Nov 14, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #689 of 1,386
As promised.. the HP100's with 770 velour ear pads..

Mesh came with the velour ear pads but i didn't bother putting it on, i usually like to have no filter between my ears and the driver. (i like muh treble 
biggrin.gif
) P.S. is that me in those god damn mini mirrors? LMAO

Here you can see some paper tower under a section of the ear pad, it's there so the tip of my ears don't touch the drivers, the angled drivers is an added bonus. No need to put it around the whole radius of the ear pad IMO. (if you look at the human ear, it's also angled, common sense!)

Comparison to the stock HP100 pads, they're pretty much the exact same diameter.

The 770 velours pads are slightly thicker then the stock HP100 pads. They are also much firmer then the squashy leather ear pads... for now. 

I've been using them for a little longer now and i can safely these are up to par with the sennheiser 558 comfort now.. with the exception of the weight.. the 558's are as light as feathers though... literally.

Again, the bass lost some of it's punch (before it was pretty much totally closed, now it's mostly closed, the bass kick doesn't hit as hard on the ear drums, but it's all still there, does that make sense?) Sound stage opened up a little and that's pretty much it that i can detect with muh earz!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back