SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
Nov 29, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #706 of 1,386

Actually... I've not heard that BUT that is a good suggestion! THere are from my undersatnding like 2 [maybe 3] versions of the HP 100

The orignal with >100 Serial Numbers, the first batch which are VERY neutral and have a VERY linear Sub bass with a smidge of reccesed Mid bass. I had that version of teh hp 100

but I hear there are new HP 100's which have more of a mid bass hump or rather linear sub bass and a slight hump to mid bass, which sound a little less balanced over the "sucked out" early model

That said, depending on which HP 100 you have, the newer "warmer" one or the older "sterile" one will depend on weather you want something warm like the X1 or something more sterile like the Akg or the DT 880 

Hmm, mine was pretty warm and reached pretty low for my likings. It was my "fun" can when I had it so I doubt it was the version you had.

Nov 29, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #707 of 1,386

Hmm, mine was pretty warm and reached pretty low for my likings. It was my "fun" can when I had it so I doubt it was the version you had.

Yea... silly Sound Magic... doing revisions without telling us. Mine was in NO way fun. It was VERY much like the DT 880!  Transparent 

Non the less the mids on it where nice

that said for an open headphone like the Hp 100, the DT 990 Pro is also a good choice, in addition to the X1 

How ever the DT 990 which is about $150 needs an amp. Something like the E11 is sufficent! 

Nov 29, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #708 of 1,386
I also must have the second revision, it's the only headphone i pretty much use now. It is much "funner" then my 558's and about on par with the ms1's but with more bass. These headphones *****in rock, especially considering the price i got them at.

...How in the hell does a closed headphone beat 2 open headphones? Well, this is all in my opinion. The soundstage is pretty big on the hp100's especially the airy sound since i put those velours on.. hmmmm

Nov 29, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #709 of 1,386
  I also must have the second revision, it's the only headphone i pretty much use now. It is much "funner" then my 558's and about on par with the ms1's but with more bass. These headphones *****in rock, especially considering the price i got them at.

...How in the hell does a closed headphone beat 2 open headphones? Well, this is all in my opinion. The soundstage is pretty big on the hp100's especially the airy sound since i put those velours on.. hmmmm

Yea... I'm kinda glad I got REV 1, it was nice an clean <3 no extra anything :D 

Dec 4, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #714 of 1,386
go_quote.gif

They are both improvements but neither is definitively better than the other so both should be considered.  The "bass mod" is as simple as removing a small sticker from the driver.

This is to basically increase the airflow to the driver for wider bass, I'm guessing?

Dec 5, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #715 of 1,386

This is to basically increase the airflow to the driver for wider bass, I'm guessing?

Who cares, why bother to mod when Beyer Dynamic makes a simmilar sound signiture with better comfort and... without the need for mods <3

Eat it AKG, 

JK actually, while AKG and Beyer have a simmilar  house sound, AKG is MUCH better for low power sources, Cell Phones, amp less portable rigs. Where as Beyer... has mostly Higher Impedance headphones, the T90 is 250hms, most of the DT Series [while offered in 32 ohm] honestly is best enjoyed in 250 or 600 ohm variants.

So that said, if your willing to buy an amp Beyers are an excellent choice, and I find the comfort of Beyers a little better over AKG

That said, at teh end of the day. Beyers are best with amps and slighty more comfortable. Akg's are good if you don't need or rather do not want to use an amp. 

Dec 5, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #716 of 1,386
  Who cares, why bother to mod when Beyer Dynamic makes a simmilar sound signiture with better comfort and... without the need for mods <3

Eat it AKG, 

JK actually, while AKG and Beyer have a simmilar  house sound, AKG is MUCH better for low power sources, Cell Phones, amp less portable rigs. Where as Beyer... has mostly Higher Impedance headphones, the T90 is 250hms, most of the DT Series [while offered in 32 ohm] honestly is best enjoyed in 250 or 600 ohm variants.

So that said, if your willing to buy an amp Beyers are an excellent choice, and I find the comfort of Beyers a little better over AKG

That said, at teh end of the day. Beyers are best with amps and slighty more comfortable. Akg's are good if you don't need or rather do not want to use an amp. 

Some people are bothered by particular treble peaks of the DT880 (6-8khz, mostly), myself included.  You, however, enjoy bright headphones, so this is a bonus for you.  I also prefer the midrange of the Q701, but I have no problem with the DT880's midrange either.  The bass of the DT880 is definitely more present and impactful and I prefer it to even the modded Q701.  Soundstage, the Q701 is considerably larger and has a much different presentation than the DT880, though it can be argued that the imaging is slightly less precise.  The DT880 is the more comfortable of the two and one of the most comfortable headphones I have worn but I don't find the Q701 to be uncomfortable, especially with a modded headband.

I don't really think they sound that similar, other than both being on the bright side of neutral.  Both need considerable amplification and are terrible when underpowered and with a bad DAC.

Dec 5, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #717 of 1,386

Some people are bothered by particular treble peaks of the DT880 (6-8khz, mostly), myself included.  You, however, enjoy bright headphones, so this is a bonus for you.  I also prefer the midrange of the Q701, but I have no problem with the DT880's midrange either.  The bass of the DT880 is definitely more present and impactful and I prefer it to even the modded Q701.  Soundstage, the Q701 is considerably larger and has a much different presentation than the DT880, though it can be argued that the imaging is slightly less precise.  The DT880 is the more comfortable of the two and one of the most comfortable headphones I have worn but I don't find the Q701 to be uncomfortable, especially with a modded headband.

I don't really think they sound that similar, other than both being on the bright side of neutral.  Both need considerable amplification and are terrible when underpowered and with a bad DAC.

Ehh, yea that applies to most headphones in the price range,

And that is a good point. I never heard the AKG open end series headphones. 

Dec 19, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #718 of 1,386
But HP100 also needs good amplification. 
In my case, if I play from iPhone5 of MBPr directly the bass was very thin. Even in music there generally is a lot of bass I could here just a bit of soft bass. 
But when I connect them to my Audinst mx2, sound changed dramatically! Bass was present where it was needed. 

Dec 20, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #719 of 1,386
Hello. I've just received my pair of these from Amazon. Sadly right headphone driver doesn't work properly, there's no low/low-middle frequency response on the right side. Pushing top part of the headband makes some scratching noise. Classic loose connection issue I guess.

I will definitely return these, however  I'm still wondering whether should I demand refund or replacement. I was choosing mainly between hp100 and sennheiser hd598. Need something for multimedia use (gaming/music), that is comfortable with some detailed, not dominating, bass and very wide sound-stage. So far I like bass from my defective hp100, it's a bit too thin though. Could anyone help me decide between hp100 and hd598 or something else? Thanks.

Dec 20, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #720 of 1,386
  Hello. I've just received my pair of these from Amazon. Sadly right headphone driver doesn't work properly, there's no low/low-middle frequency response on the right side. Pushing top part of the headband makes some scratching noise. Classic loose connection issue I guess.

I will definitely return these, however  I'm still wondering whether should I demand refund or replacement. I was choosing mainly between hp100 and sennheiser hd598. Need something for multimedia use (gaming/music), that is comfortable with some detailed, not dominating, bass and very wide sound-stage. So far I like bass from my defective hp100, it's a bit too thin though. Could anyone help me decide between hp100 and hd598 or something else? Thanks.

akg q701 is on amazon for $220. very detailed + wide sound-stage. bass is definitely not dominating, tho I haven't heard the hp100, so I don't know how it compares. these are open headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back