SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
Aug 7, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #451 of 1,386
That's GREAT to hear to be honest, I have a feeling I like MUCH less bass than u do. To be honest the mad dogs had plenty of bass for me! It was just those damn mids... too thick and too poor a source for them

Compared to the Mad Dogs how much bass does the Sound Magic HP 100 have, more, less about the same? 

I say the HP100 has about 2db more bass than the 3.2 MDs...

Aug 8, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #452 of 1,386
Finally got my softskin earpads in.  In comparison to the Beyer velours, they got rid of the sibilance, but everything sounds kind of muffled and hollow now.  Sticking with the velours, and I'll probably put the softskin pads on my DT 770s:p.

Aug 9, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #455 of 1,386
Quote:
I say the HP100 has about 2db more bass than the 3.2 MDs...

Eww, but I guess at it's worse it's no bassy than my w1000x 
Quote:
Anyone heard HP100 with alpha pads yet? 

Omi gawd that would be great if it made everything leaner... and I wonder how it would sound with my unsed w1000x stock Pleather Pads 

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #456 of 1,386
I got a pair of K702 65ths in today, and in comparison to the HP100s, I think the K702s are more spacious, have a richer midrange, and weaker bass impact.  Overall, though, I think I still prefer the HP100s, which is quite a testament to their value, IMO ($200 vs. $649...).  I haven't decided whether I'm keeping the AKGs yet.  They do pretty well with classical, and I'll probably try them with movies to see how they perform.  Oddly, the HP100s are slightly more comfortable for me, as well.

Aug 10, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #457 of 1,386
Quote:
I got a pair of K702 65ths in today, and in comparison to the HP100s, I think the K702s are more spacious, have a richer midrange, and weaker bass impact.  Overall, though, I think I still prefer the HP100s, which is quite a testament to their value, IMO ($200 vs. $649...).  I haven't decided whether I'm keeping the AKGs yet.  They do pretty well with classical, and I'll probably try them with movies to see how they perform.  Oddly, the HP100s are slightly more comfortable for me, as well.

Sadly I'm getting a pair of K550 soon, seeing as they are about $40 cheaper... but if the fit of the K550 hates me the Sound Magic will be next. How is the sound stage of the Hp 100... the k702 is one of the wider WIDE sound stage cans. I like a bigger sound stage over a smaller one [hence is why my w1000x has been modded] so I'm hoping the Sound Magic won't be to small for me... 

Aug 10, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #458 of 1,386
I think the soundstage is perfectly adequate.  I think the K702s might have a little more air and spaciousness, but it's pretty close in my book.  The HP100s don't sound claustrophobic or "small," to my ears.  They just do everything well, IMO.  The K702s sound a bit darker, which is why in some cases the HP100s sound better, I think, because the treble doesn't sound quite as constrained by the rest of the spectrum.  They just sound very clean and pure and well extended, while retaining a good midrange and great bass reproduction.  I'm still not sold on the K 702s, but they do classical quite well.  They manage to capture the grandiosity of the sound, if that makes sense.

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #459 of 1,386
Quote:
I think the soundstage is perfectly adequate.  I think the K702s might have a little more air and spaciousness, but it's pretty close in my book.  The HP100s don't sound claustrophobic or "small," to my ears.  They just do everything well, IMO.  The K702s sound a bit darker, which is why in some cases the HP100s sound better, I think, because the treble doesn't sound quite as constrained by the rest of the spectrum.  They just sound very clean and pure and well extended, while retaining a good midrange and great bass reproduction.  I'm still not sold on the K 702s, but they do classical quite well.  They manage to capture the grandiosity of the sound, if that makes sense.

It does, the Byer Dt 880s did that as well! 

Aug 10, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #461 of 1,386
Quote:
I think the 65ths do it better, because their bass response is superior IMO.  The DT 880s are good for maybe like, Für Elise, but the 65ths are good for like, the 1812 Overture.

Really the K702 65'th have MORE bass than a Dt 880 PRO [mind you pro has that xtra clamp and bass] but you are proably right. The mids should be better on the k702 65th which would lead to a more enjoyable experince. Still a Tube amp should do both cans some serious wonders! 

Aug 14, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #463 of 1,386
Quote:
They don't need burn in, if you don't like how they sound now you won't like them ever. Sell it.

I dunno how anyone can call it not detailed though, maybe source/amp problem (this thing scales up really nicely) *shrugs*

What can I say? There might indeed be a problem with my file/source/amp combo... Not that is shows up when listening to any of my other headphones.
But maybe you can find something wrong with it: files ALAC @ 44.100KHz when not @ 96.000KHz on i7 MacMini - async USB cable - D7 iBasso DAC - QED Reference RCA cable - Little Dot MkIII Amp.
And to be precise, I never said in my post that "I don't like them" but that I find them lacking in areas where, at least according to some opinions on here, they were supposed to be at least decent if not downright good.
I'm decent enough (or at least I think so) not to bother anyone with my personal preferences...
:)

Aug 15, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #464 of 1,386
 Try it without the tube amp. So you find them lacking but you like it? 
confused.gif
What is your reference headphone by the way? 

About the "detailed" part, I didn't meant it for you.

Aug 17, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #465 of 1,386
I got another chance to listen to some of the most famous headphones namely TH600 and T1 yesterday, paired with Beyer A20 amp which is said to be great match with T1. They're impressive but I'll be keeping my HP100 for a long long time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back