SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
Aug 4, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #422 of 1,386
Quote:
I've decided to go with the tried and True K550, it's about teh same price used as the hp is new so that works enough for me ^^

FYI, K550 is not free of unit variation problem either 

But well congrats on the purchase, although I think HP100 is just the better cans in every possible way, it help that they share similar sound sig. 
tongue.gif

Aug 4, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #423 of 1,386
Quote:
FYI, K550 is not free of unit variation problem either

But well congrats on the purchase, although I think HP100 is just the better cans in every possible way, it help that they share similar sound sig. 
tongue.gif

Oh yay, and serious AKG not made in Austria... shame  on them 

Either way Browsing the for Sale thread should help me avoid some of those issues... as the people selling them usually enjoyed them. Still I'll have to dig nice and Deep and see what I can't find

Aug 4, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #424 of 1,386
Quote:
Strange, I could immediately hear the improvement since I have this game where everyone's talking with any word containing s will inadvertently sound sibilance with HP100, it's not anymore now. Didn't have much problem with music except on hot recording.

Another weird point to that is that I did not find the HP100 to be sibilant. The treble sounded somewhat artificial (best way I can put it), but I don't recall much sibilance. I've found I've developed a sensitivity to rough, exaggerated, sibilant, and/or ringing treble, and I don't remember having issues with the HP100 in those ways.

Oh yay, and serious AKG not made in Austria... shame  on them 

Either way Browsing the for Sale thread should help me avoid some of those issues... as the people selling them usually enjoyed them. Still I'll have to dig nice and Deep and see what I can't find

I've heard of people enjoying the K550s that measure poorly (large treble spike and associated harmonic distortion), so someone enjoying the product does not guarantee it is indeed an objectively good unit. :p

Aug 4, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #425 of 1,386
Quote:

Another weird point to that is that I did not find the HP100 to be sibilant. The treble sounded somewhat artificial (best way I can put it), but I don't recall much sibilance. I've found I've developed a sensitivity to rough, exaggerated, sibilant, and/or ringing treble, and I don't remember having issues with the HP100 in those ways.

Oh right, I forgot that I also stuff some cotton inside the inner pad to make it angled, it help comfort and soundstage a bit but unfortunately also made the headphone prone to sibilance. My dac and amp may also contribute to this, they're bright.

Aug 4, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #427 of 1,386
Alright, now that I've got time to compare the stock pads with the Softskin pads, I think the stock pads are still better. Yes, the Beyer pads give me more space from the drivers, but the stock pads are a little softer and more comfortable. As for the sound, the Beyer pads feel congested and the soundstage worsens along and with the loss of some of that neutrality that the cans are known for. When I listened from the stock pads, it was clear and balanced, like how it should be. Unfortunately, the Softskin pads do alter the sound a little bit too much for my liking.

Aug 5, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #429 of 1,386
Quote:
Oh right, I forgot that I also stuff some cotton inside the inner pad to make it angled, it help comfort and soundstage a bit but unfortunately also made the headphone prone to sibilance. My dac and amp may also contribute to this, they're bright.

Haha, that makes more sense, then.

Aug 6, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #432 of 1,386
Hmm any one interested in a trade? I'd love to try the hp 100, any one want to try out my Dt 990 for a week in exchange for letting me try your hp 100 for a week <3 

Aug 6, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #433 of 1,386
Quote:
could anybody recommed a good amplifier to go with the HP100 ?

I remember having read that they prefer a good solid state amp over tubes??

Thanks!

Yep, with such low sensitivity and low impedance they're current hungry. Haven't got any chance to audition amp lately but I reckon any amp that sounds good with orthodynamic phone will do for HP100 too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back