SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
Apr 12, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #1,187 of 1,386
Phidelio x2 is also on my maybe list but I hate grainy sounding headphones. I love the balance on my Steelseries Flux but didn't like the slight gritty treble. Granted that's an IEM but it's just an example.

Where do you get that it's grainy sounding?  It's got some of the best bass you'll find in an open, dynamic headphone.  Check out MLE's review on headphone.guru.

Apr 12, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #1,189 of 1,386
I'm not worried about the bass of the x2 just the treble, but I'll check out that review.

Yeah that's why I think the k7xx might be better suited for me cuz I listen to a lot of electronic and ambient music. How does the bass extension compare to the k612s?

Apr 12, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #1,190 of 1,386
I'm not worried about the bass of the x2 just the treble, but I'll check out that review.

Yeah that's why I think the k7xx might be better suited for me cuz I listen to a lot of electronic and ambient music. How does the bass extension compare to the k612s?

I did not compare them directly. I would suggest researching that in the K7XX and K612 threads.

Apr 12, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #1,192 of 1,386
Does anybody know of a headphone that is dirt cheap that can house the drivers of the hp100's? or where I can obtain an empty casing that will? I contacted the customer service and they want me to send my set to China. I am trying to evade this option. Anyone have any suggestions?

Much appreciated!

Apr 12, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #1,193 of 1,386
Does anybody know of a headphone that is dirt cheap that can house the drivers of the hp100's? or where I can obtain an empty casing that will? I contacted the customer service and they want me to send my set to China. I am trying to evade this option. Anyone have any suggestions?

Much appreciated!

Could you tell us what your issue is? My headphones are already in China waiting to be delivered to them.

Apr 12, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #1,195 of 1,386

Much appreciated!

I would highly recommend looking into buying earmuffs. Those are an empty headphone-like casing. A previous interest of mine on building headphones from scratch led me to find some totally cool looking earmuffs that are a 'headphone waiting to happen' from several websites like Moldex, sharpesafety and Overstock. The most simple way to insert a driver would be to perhaps glue it, or even melt the plastic of the earcup to fit it in... then put it on & press play!

I think the other basic methods of modifying sound signature are to add ventilation holes and damping material around / over the driver. The HP 100 driver seems like a good candidate for this idea, and another SURE shot driver for this would be from the Fostex T50RP.

Please go ahead and send us a message on the results of your experiment.

Apr 12, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #1,196 of 1,386
The HP100 was recommended to me as being a good can for downtempo electronic music due to it's neutral signature with slight subbass emphasis. From what I've been reading these seem like a good choice especially when combined with a bass boosting amp. My concern, however, is comfort. I read that the pads are interchangeable but I'm still a little skeptical. A friend of mine owns a pair M50s and I don't think they're all that comfortable. I'd appreciate any comparisons or feedback :)

The HP 100 and especially the HP 150 have plenty bass in terms of quantity, so I would strongly advise against coupling this with an already bass-heavy amp, unless of course, you're a basshead.

On the other hand, these headphones scale very well with higher quality amps + DAC's. To name a few, The Schiit modi2+Vali will impress you, Hugo Chord + Cavalli Liquid Silicon will wow you, and the Continental Dual Mono amp/DAC combo will blow you away with these headphones! Like most amps, these ones give fairly neutral sound signature, which really works best for the SoundMagics to play all genres properly.

Apr 13, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #1,197 of 1,386
I didn't plan on over doing the bass boost just for a bit more warmth if these are that neutral sounding. The only one of those amps that I've heard of are Schitt Vali/modi but they look very promising for headphones that could use the warmth. I was actually considering getting that along with a q701. As of now the only amp I have is the Cayin C5 and I'll be getting a Soundmagic A10 soon.

Apr 13, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #1,198 of 1,386
The straight cable for my HP100 is starting to give out.  Sometimes sound only comes through one side unless I bend the cable near the jack.  I might have to get a soldering iron and re-terminate it.

Apr 13, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #1,199 of 1,386
I would highly recommend looking into buying earmuffs. Those are an empty headphone-like casing. A previous interest of mine on building headphones from scratch led me to find some totally cool looking earmuffs that are a 'headphone waiting to happen' from several websites like Moldex, [COLOR=222222]sharpesafety and Overstock. The most simple way to insert a driver would be to perhaps glue it, or even melt the plastic of the earcup to fit it in... then put it on & press play![/COLOR]

[COLOR=222222]I think the other basic methods of modifying sound signature are to add ventilation holes and damping material around / over the driver. The HP 100 driver seems like a good candidate for this idea, and another SURE shot driver for this would be from the Fostex T50RP.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=222222]Please go ahead and send us a message on the results of your experiment.[/COLOR]

I poked around online and the main issue with industrial earmuffs is earpad material. If anyone should know of any reasonably priced industrial earmuffs with actual comfort value I would be happy for some pointers.

Thank you for your help

Apr 24, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #1,200 of 1,386
If you are thinking about buying the HP100/150 but haven't yet, I recommend that you don't.  The sound quality is great, but I have owned the headphone twice and both times it has snapped at the top of the half-circle that connects the cup to the headband.

Both pairs were owned for under a year, both were babied and not dropped/sat on/etc. once.  I don't have an exceptionally large head or anything.

If you plan to use your headphones for more than an hour or two per day, I don't recommend buying these as they are extremely fragile.

This is the area that consistently breaks:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back