SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
Apr 4, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #1,157 of 1,386
Little imprressions about HM5 sound and pads:

HP150 sounds really best than HM5, in bass sounds with better clarity and impact, HM5 sounds more muddy. Better clarity and extension on mids and highs more foward and pronounced, better soundstage too.
With the HM5 pads i feel that my HP150 sounds more close to HM5, bass is much more muddy to my ears, sounds bloated and over my taste, so I prefer the HP150 pads. In terms of comfort the HM5 pads win, but nothing that make I disconsider the bigger difference in the sound.

Google english.

Apr 4, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #1,158 of 1,386
Just running my HP150 through some tests at http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

I noticed on the bass frequency test that I have a pretty big decrease in volume starting at about 120-130hz. This decrease in volume stays all the way until 200. When I do my other headphones I don't experience this. Anyone else have this.

This kind of annoys me. The hp150 has such good sub bass but I feel like it's too much compared to those freq. a lot of songs from bands like Rush feel like they're are missing that nasty bass attack with the HP150.

Apr 4, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #1,159 of 1,386
Just running my HP150 through some tests at http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

I noticed on the bass frequency test that I have a pretty big decrease in volume starting at about 120-130hz. This decrease in volume stays all the way until 200. When I do my other headphones I don't experience this. Anyone else have this.

This kind of annoys me. The hp150 has such good sub bass but I feel like it's too much compared to those freq. a lot of songs from bands like Rush feel like they're are missing that nasty bass attack with the HP150.

Here is the measured (and adjusted) frequency response for the HP100s that was previously posted in this thread:

I would guess that the HP150 would be fairly similar.

Apr 4, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #1,160 of 1,386
Wow. Thanks for that. I guess it confirms what I'm hearing. I missed that graph somehow. I've always gone off of what was on the box, which is a bit different.

One thing that bugs me is that on some songs the bass drum feels way too exaggerated with the sub bass. And other songs, there is a large sub bass presence with a nice rumble, but I feel like the bass impact is missing from the bass guitar. It's just an overall bassy feeling sometimes instead of that farty bass coming through.

Apr 5, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #1,161 of 1,386
...One thing that bugs me is that on some songs the bass drum feels way too exaggerated with the sub bass. And other songs, there is a large sub bass presence with a nice rumble, but I feel like the bass impact is missing from the bass guitar. It's just an overall bassy feeling sometimes instead of that farty bass coming through.

What kind of an amp are you using, if any?

Apr 5, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #1,163 of 1,386
One thing that bugs me is that on some songs the bass drum feels way too exaggerated with the sub bass. And other songs, there is a large sub bass presence with a nice rumble, but I feel like the bass impact is missing from the bass guitar. It's just an overall bassy feeling sometimes instead of that farty bass coming through.

about the bass, i feel that bass have a big body that make feel boomy in some situations in return of impact. I prefer a good impact instead of a big body. This is the big issue that i found in HP150.

Apr 5, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #1,164 of 1,386
about the bass, i feel that bass have a big body that make feel boomy in some situations in return of impact. I prefer a good impact instead of a big body. This is the big issue that i found in HP150.
Yea I agree 100% so far. For movies/games these are fantastic. But for music, at least what I'm listening too, the deep bass is too exaggerated and the mid bass is too recessed for impact.

Apr 5, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #1,165 of 1,386
Guise I need some real help. I have found the HP100s for about $130 but I am a little worried about the earpad depth as well as the possibility of one driver going out or being unbalanced as people have mentioned. Is the difference in sound, build quality and reliability really worth the extra $50???

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #1,166 of 1,386
Straight from the iphone 6/mbp or through an e11.

I'm running some pink noise through them now. They still seem to be burning in.

Hello guys, after much testing the HP 100 and 150 with many amps, including directly to upowered source, I have discovered that a decent amp is VITAL for these headphones to sound good. Directly to a laptop, phone, etc. the bass was very uncontrolled, almost endlessly boomy. Without an amp the sound signature IMO was so appalling that I would have thrown these in the garbage / sold them.

Connected to an amp, the bass was controlled/tight/punchy in terms of dynamics, but still not quite perfect in terms of still being too much quantity for most genres. This thing is definitely my go-to headphone for movies & TV shows also - but with an amp still. A lower amp is all you need to sound better like a Vali or Magni 2, but this thing scales well with amps: The more advanced/powerful your AMP/DAC setup the better - not only the bass but as you go up the chain for the more expensive setups you actually start to gain some holographic sound imaging as well! see my posting on page 77 about amp recommendations!

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #1,167 of 1,386
Hello guys, after much testing the HP 100 and 150 with many amps, including directly to upowered source, I have discovered that a decent amp is VITAL for these headphones to sound good. Directly to a laptop, phone, etc. the bass was very uncontrolled, almost endlessly boomy. Without an amp the sound signature IMO was so appalling that I would have thrown these in the garbage / sold them.

Connected to an amp, the bass was controlled/tight/punchy in terms of dynamics, but still not quite perfect in terms of still being too much quantity for most genres. This thing is definitely my go-to headphone for movies & TV shows also - but with an amp still. A lower amp is all you need to sound better like a Vali or Magni 2, but this thing scales well with amps: The more advanced/powerful your AMP/DAC setup the better - not only the bass but as you go up the chain for the more expensive setups you actually start to gain some holographic sound imaging as well! see my posting on page 77 about amp recommendations!
Yea. Honestly that kind of kills these headphones for me. If I'm tied to an amp I'll just use my open cans. At least that's my situation. A closed set would be my portable set and I really don't want to carry an amp with me.

Apr 5, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #1,168 of 1,386
Guise ***GUYS*** I need some real help. I have found the HP100s for about $130 but I am a little worried about the earpad depth as well as the possibility of one driver going out or being unbalanced as people have mentioned. Is the difference in sound, build quality and reliability really worth the extra $50???

I would definitely say that sounds like a good deal! As long as the seller can assure you the pair is not damaged in any way. They seem to last a long time also. Also in my experience buying many products online in general - whether it's electronics, furniture, appliances, etc. here is something to always consider: often it's only the bad comments that surface, so the reviews you're reading are often just from the very few users who had a problem with the product, while the vast majority was quite happy and said nothing. My point: I have owned the HP 100 for at least 8 months and traveled with it sometimes, and have never had the slightest hint of problems with build quality or anything breaking, etc. Just as long as you don't throw it around and stomp on it in a mosh-pit or whatever the heck some people seem to be doing to it. :wink:

Also I don't think the HP 100/150 change at all with burning in; rather by changing the AMP/DAC or EQ settings. And personally I would recommend the HP 100 over the 150 because it has a more unique look, maybe slightly less bass quanitity and a much more sleek/portable case.

Apr 5, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #1,169 of 1,386
Yea. Honestly that kind of kills these headphones for me. If I'm tied to an amp I'll just use my open cans. At least that's my situation. A closed set would be my portable set and I really don't want to carry an amp with me.

Hello, these are "full size" headphones so most people would not consider them to be portable for these reasons: sweating under the earpads, too large to fit around your neck if you have to put them down to talk, bulky inside a bag, etc. If you need a closed headphone for portable use, I would definitely recommend the Thinksound ON1. Believe me - after about 5 years of trying many on-ear portable headphones like from AKG, Sennheiser, V-moda, Phaton, etc. I have finally gotten 'lucky' the other week by bumping into another head-hi'er with a nice looking pair of closed portable on ears; the Thinksound ON1 - excellent tonal quality, clarity, mid/high's etc. but it's slightly a v-shaped sound, however that seems ideal for a portable headphone.

However, these also benefit from an amp, as do all headphones including in-ear's / IEM's. Any serious audiophile well tell you an amp is basically a requirement for all headphones, including portables. But for the portable ones there is a niche market for portable amps. These are smaller, cheaper amps with generally a battery life of 7+hours. Some good recommendations are the FiiO E6 and E12, which range from only $27 - 150-ish.

On the other hand, the HP 100 & 150 is a real steal-deal at only $200, because after spending 2 days at the largest headphone meeting in north America and trying around 100 headphones, these were able to compete with headphones that costed many times more - I wouldn't say these are as good as the $3,000 Hifiman / Audeze etc. headphones but IMO better than all the Mr. Speakers, Ether, Oppo M 1/2/3, etc. they sound only as good as your source DAC and amp that you are feeding it with. So these are still a great option for at-home use.

Apr 5, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #1,170 of 1,386
Hello, these are "full size" headphones so most people would not consider them to be portable for these reasons: sweating under the earpads, too large to fit around your neck if you have to put them down to talk, bulky inside a bag, etc. If you need a closed headphone for portable use, I would definitely recommend the Thinksound ON1. Believe me - after about 5 years of trying many on-ear portable headphones like from AKG, Sennheiser, V-moda, Phaton, etc. I have finally gotten 'lucky' the other week by bumping into another head-hi'er with a nice looking pair of closed portable on ears; the Thinksound ON1 - excellent tonal quality, clarity, mid/high's etc. but it's slightly a v-shaped sound, however that seems ideal for a portable headphone.

However, these also benefit from an amp, as do all headphones including in-ear's / IEM's. Any serious audiophile well tell you an amp is basically a requirement for all headphones, including portables. But for the portable ones there is a niche market for portable amps. These are smaller, cheaper amps with generally a battery life of 7+hours. Some good recommendations are the FiiO E6 and E12, which range from only $27 - 150-ish.

On the other hand, the HP 100 & 150 is a real steal-deal at only $200, because after spending 2 days at the largest headphone meeting in north America and trying around 100 headphones, these were able to compete with headphones that costed many times more - I wouldn't say these are as good as the $3,000 Hifiman / Audeze etc. headphones but IMO better than all the Mr. Speakers, Ether, Oppo M 1/2/3, etc. they sound only as good as your source DAC and amp that you are feeding it with. So these are still a great option for at-home use.
Yea I hear ya. Portable is a relative term though. I can't do on ears. They bug the crap out of me with my glasses. Also, the hp150 is tiny compared to my K7XX, haha.

Portable to me means being able to plug them into my iPhone ans sound great, no matter where I'm at. And they have to be comfy too. I'm not willing to have ear pain or poo sounding music just to fit into a 'portable' market. To me, the hp150 is portable because it's closed, and I think it DOES fold up nicely enough to stuff in a bag.

I have the e6 and e11. But I just don't like being bothered with carrying them around and the spaghetti of wires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back