SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
Mar 22, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #1,141 of 1,386
Pad thickness shouldn't have much to do with getting a seal. If anything thinner pads might seal better. Its hard to tell if you're getting a good seal or not, other than if you're getting good. Bass response, you've got an adequate seal. The large diameter cup size probably contributes to the issue but it seems to be much less of a real world issue than what Tyll saw in the lab. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you've got good bass you've got a good enough seal.

Mar 29, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #1,143 of 1,386

yes. i've been using it everyday for the last 4 months.

I got my cable in on Friday. It works perfectly. My only gripe is how microphonic it is. However, this is much more tolerable than a heavy coiled cable bouncing around while I jog and hitting the stop button on the treadmill. Thanks again for the information.

Mar 29, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #1,144 of 1,386

I got my cable in on Friday. It works perfectly. My only gripe is how microphonic it is. However, this is much more tolerable than a heavy coiled cable bouncing around while I jog and hitting the stop button on the treadmill. Thanks again for the information.

Yeah, sorry I forgot to mention it (although I did mention it when i recommended the cable 10-15 pages back), Try slipping it under your shirt, its mictophonic only when it rubs against hard materials.
I hope you enjoy it :)

Mar 30, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #1,145 of 1,386
Hi all,

Just wanted to mention that, after spending two days listening to all sorts of gear from the M50x to the HE-1000, from the JDS Labs O2 to the Cavalli Liquid Gold, I am still impressed with the performance of my HP100.  I used it as my baseline for comparing gear, along with my Fiio X5.  I tried several headphones with the intention of potentially upgrading the HP100, but nothing really stood out as a clear upgrade.  And on top of that, the things scales wonderfully with good gear!

I continue to be impressed with these little gems.  If you haven't already, you might consider upgrading to the Shure 1540 alcantara pads.  I got a lot of comments on how comfortable they are.

We are a lucky group, folks.  We have one of the hidden gems of the head-fi world.  Don't forget to tell everyone you know about these!  They're the best closed cans under $200 and I haven't heard much OVER $200 that I'd consider a clear upgrade.  Certainly not until you're spending double the price or more.

Mar 30, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #1,146 of 1,386
  Hi all,

Just wanted to mention that, after spending two days listening to all sorts of gear from the M50x to the HE-1000, from the JDS Labs O2 to the Cavalli Liquid Gold, I am still impressed with the performance of my HP100.  I used it as my baseline for comparing gear, along with my Fiio X5.  I tried several headphones with the intention of potentially upgrading the HP100, but nothing really stood out as a clear upgrade.  And on top of that, the things scales wonderfully with good gear!

I continue to be impressed with these little gems.  If you haven't already, you might consider upgrading to the Shure 1540 alcantara pads.  I got a lot of comments on how comfortable they are.

We are a lucky group, folks.  We have one of the hidden gems of the head-fi world.  Don't forget to tell everyone you know about these!  They're the best closed cans under $200 and I haven't heard much OVER $200 that I'd consider a clear upgrade.  Certainly not until you're spending double the price or more.

I've had the Shure 1540 alcantara pads for a few days and am loving them. I haven't done a comparison to the original pads yet, but I don't notice a whole lot different sonically. I'm more concerned with how much more comfortable they are. My ears no logger touch the inside felt cover for the driver as well. When I get a chance I'll do a comparison.

These things sound awesome with my Fiio X5, but when I get to use them with my Magni 2 Uber at home I'm always impressed with them.

Mar 30, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #1,147 of 1,386

I've had the Shure 1540 alcantara pads for a few days and am loving them. I haven't done a comparison to the original pads yet, but I don't notice a whole lot different sonically. I'm more concerned with how much more comfortable they are. My ears no logger touch the inside felt cover for the driver as well. When I get a chance I'll do a comparison.

These things sound awesome with my Fiio X5, but when I get to use them with my Magni 2 Uber at home I'm always impressed with them.

Do the alcantara pads change the isolation much? particularly leakage?

Mar 30, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #1,148 of 1,386
Mar 30, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #1,150 of 1,386
  Do the alcantara pads change the isolation much? particularly leakage?

I haven't done a comparison with another person to verify more leakage while wearing, but just having them play while clamped together normally they seem to leak slightly more. I'll test it out with a spectator and get back to you.

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #1,151 of 1,386
Hello all, I wanted to take a moment to share with the community some TOTALLY STELLAR amp options to get more life out of the HP-100 / 150's.

I brought my HP 100 to north America's largest head-fi meet (Can Jam in Costa Mesa) this weekend, and tried them out on some pretty diverse (mostly medium/low impendence) amp setups.

* with Cavalli portable amp + Hugo Chord as a DAC:
  Gave an incredible sound that was dynamic, fluidic, neutral with average bass. After trying several amp combinations in the year I've owned them, it's the first time I've finally heard them 'come to life' and realize more of their potential.

This was the portable and/or non-portable amp from Cavalli Audio called something like Liquid Silicon which is still a prototype and will sell for something like $300-ish. I also tried with this portable amp connected to an Algo Rhythm Solo DB Coaxial DAC and it sounded nearly as good, but perhaps not as well on the soundstage imagining.

* with Schiit Vali amp + Modi 2 DAC: 
  Phenomenal sound all-around! Good, puncy bass, great texture, instrument separation, and natural sounding midrange. After speaking with the owner or Schiit I was told that everything is difference with Modi 2 DAC than the original. I spent the next few days scratching my head as to why such a similar looking setup to my current Magni+Modi would make such a grand difference. And now after a bit of research, the reason why hit me: According to Schiit website, the Vali was designed after the Bifrost, to be like a smaller version of it. Paired with the Modi 2 which is a solid state / dynamic tube hybrid, that seems to be just what the HP-100 was created for!

Note however this Vali + Modi 2 combination is in NO WAY best only for the HP-100 - I was actually more impressed with the performance of the Beyerdynamic DT-880 (32 ohm) and the AKG K7XX with this setup than with the HP's. But this is a definite way to add some life to all of the above and more headphones!

* with Continental Dual Mono (semi-portable tube amp / DAC unit from Alo Audio):
  One word: majestic. This was one of the the closest things to an out-of-body experience I had felt during this two day headphone meeting. Finally an amp (one single unit!) that realizes the FULL POTENTIAL of the HP-100! OMG!!! Fluidic, lush warm organic sound, large 3D holographic soundstage, and best of all the dynamics and bass were as punchy and impactful (great thing) as it gets! I couldn't even contain my enjoyment so I had to let 2 people behind the booth (co-founder and saleswoman of Alo Audio) try it and it put a natural smile on both of their faces! They even told me that another HP-100 owner had stopped by before me and also exclaimed how insanely good this pairing was! 

Note that the Continental Dual Mono amp is still a prototype until it's released after a few months. You may want to search for this amp on head-fi and subscribe to the thread for it, because it's an absolutely insane amp and they're still taking suggestions. I think it only outputs about 300mw per channel but it drives many headphones with a sound that cannot be understood by words alone! It's a tube amp about the size of a smartphone just thicker, with options for balanced in/out, DAC usage only option, battery powered option, and looks sleek and cute! 

On a final note, this is not by any means an exhaustive list of good pairings for the HP 100 / 150's. Many other good combinations can be had, particularly: Geek Out 450 + Cavalii portable amp and probably Modi 2 + Cavilli, etc. But what seems to really excite these headphones are a hi-end DAC with good spacial imagining / instrument placement, and a solid state / tube amp hybrid.

Apr 4, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #1,153 of 1,386
Anyone take the little piece of foam out that's between the driver and the pads? I just did this and I'm curious if others have and what their perceptions are. I'm not sure if this is just placebo.

I have not, but certainly the presence of the foam will reduce some frequencies. You should hear some kind of difference :)

Apr 4, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #1,155 of 1,386
What were your impressions of this mod? (your opinion on how this effected the sound signature)
I'll report back tomorrow. I haven't had enough time with them to really listen but my initial impressions are that the bass is less boomy at times. This could be because less of my ear is touching anything without that foam there.

Also I think the mids seem a little more forward but I'm not really sure. I need to listen more and do some back to back testing.

The foam is attached to the material covering the driver with a ring of double sided tape. It came right off and assuming the tape still has stickiness, it should go back on no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back