SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
Mar 13, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #1,336 of 1,386
Here's my post about my EQ settings for the HP150:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/616201/soundmagic-hp100-hp150-review-and-impressions-thread/1215#post_11581778

I hope you'll find those settings to be useful.

Brian.

Mar 28, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #1,337 of 1,386
Hah, using EQ for the HP 100/150. I feel ya there! I had actually stuffed my pair in the bottom drawer for the past year due to the harsh treble and boomy bass etc., but this has all been solved with an extraordinary balanced / SE mod that I have been lucky enough to work out with a local headphone hobbyist! I created a new thread for this amazing mod. Please join the discussion here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/803137

Mar 30, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #1,338 of 1,386
  Hah, using EQ for the HP 100/150. I feel ya there! I had actually stuffed my pair in the bottom drawer for the past year due to the harsh treble and boomy bass etc.

The following is from less than a year ago, so they got shelved soon after the following post.  Why did they go from hero to zero so quickly?  

On the other hand, the HP 100 & 150 is a real steal-deal at only $200, because after spending 2 days at the largest headphone meeting in north America and trying around 100 headphones, these were able to compete with headphones that costed many times more - I wouldn't say these are as good as the $3,000 Hifiman / Audeze etc. headphones but IMO better than all the Mr. Speakers, Ether, Oppo M 1/2/3, etc. they sound only as good as your source DAC and amp that you are feeding it with. So these are still a great option for at-home use.

Mar 30, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #1,339 of 1,386
The following is from less than a year ago, so they got shelved soon after the following post.  Why did they go from hero to zero so quickly?  

Possibly because he's advertising someone's services...

Mar 30, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #1,340 of 1,386
My original post above with such high praise about the stock HP 100 was written kind of vaguely. What I really meant was that, with the right amp, these headphones really do have the potential to equal or even exceed other flagship headphones costing much more. My above praise was exclusively based on it's pairing with the CDM (Continental Dual Mono portable tube amp / DAC), which wasn't mentioned in that exact post but which I have posted on many occasions.

I have since been to 3 more headphone meets and tried the stock HP 100 on at least a dozen wildly varying amps including the ones at home, and out of all there was only one amp that made the stock version sound good enough for normal use - and I'll tell you with the CDM, the stock version does sound hands-down glorious, so much that a mod would hardly even be desirable. I furthermore realize that that post from last year was written somewhat hastily, because now after more experience trying other closed flagships, I realise that in fact several headphones including the Denon TH-900, ETHER-C, DT-1770 to name a few are quite superior to the stock HP 100. Unfortunately I wasn't able to afford the CDM, and from all other amps, the general sound signature I have found from the HP 100 has been very fatiguing on both ends of the spectrum - not quite V or U shaped because this mids are still good, but with bass that sounds very uncontrolled / unrefined / boomy, and treble that is not only artificial sounding but also very piercing to my ears.

Especially for me, since for this past year I have added to my arsenal an HD 650, DT 100, modded my SRH 940, gotten my AH-D 1001 back and gotten a Koss electrostat headphone with Stax amp - there was definitely no place at all for the HP 100 in my setup... this and considering the general unrefined sound I was getting out of the HP 100 - yeah it sure was at the bottom of my drawer for this past year, and I even have scratch marks on the case to show for that.

I was holding onto it though because I saw potential in the HP 100. I thought maybe a better amp may come along to allow these beauties to shine - however it turned out that a combination of internal mods and conversion to balanced was what really had done the trick. I had become familiar with a local headphone modding guru by the name of Lyova (@Packdemon) from recent meets I attended, and since I have a balanced amp I thought I'd ask him to convert it to balanced for me, with a hunch this would help refine the sound. I also threw in the challenge of modding to fix the spiky highs and flabby bass... and I'll tell you with utmost certainty, the difference from this mod was nothing short of revolutionary! It went from being an unused headphone to something that I now often prefer to the flagship HD 650 headphone, which is something I really never expected from this headphone!

This idea paid off BIG TIME, and it's a truly night / day difference! Now there is spine tingling lushness in the mids, tamed down treble and BASS that never fails to impress with it's clarity and fullness... coupled with the earpads he used that increased the soundstage and isolation, and I believe these also played a roll in evening out the FR. You can see in this graph below an official measurement taken at Can Jam which shows the difference before / after this mod. And notice the red line at the bottom, that was bass distortion I was hearing which has been cleaned up so well that it actually measured better than numerous closed headphones of other types.

I am genuinely only telling you folks about this for my love of the hobby, and to give my friend a little recognition. This would be too good to keep to myself, so I would be happy for others to experience this same amazing sensation from the modded HP 100 (more in my link above). And yes, I'm trying to get the word out that the user Packdemon can do this mod for you, but I wouldn't call it 'advertising', as this is to help out a friend in need... I'm returning the favor to a friend who has selfelessly helped me out of the kindness of his heart multiple times, and allowing you guys to try something that is groundbreaking.

Apr 4, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #1,341 of 1,386
Anybody interested in a 6ft straight cable with SoundMAGIC locking mechanism? A little ugly, but completely serviceable. will post pics when my phone gets repaired

May 4, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #1,343 of 1,386
  Hello, I was wondering for the people that heard / owned / tested the AKG K550, which headphone would have a cooler sound signature. The AKG K550 or the HP150? 

I have the HP150 and had the K553. The two sounds alike and diferente at the same time, closed with huge soundstage and proeminente trebles but in very diferente ways. The HP150 has a big spacing, is energetic, have a more boomy bass, very slighty recessed mids and a brighter treble, slighty V sounding. The K553 has a excelent separation, tight bass, foward mids, and very pronounced proeminent treble ith a massive attack. It took me a lot to choose, but I choose HP150 because even energetic is much more relaxed than the K553, K553 treble and medium treble caused me a lot of fatigue.

Sorry for google english ^^

May 4, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #1,344 of 1,386

I have the HP150 and had the K553. The two sounds alike and diferente at the same time, closed with huge soundstage and proeminente trebles but in very diferente ways. The HP150 has a big spacing, is energetic, have a more boomy bass, very slighty recessed mids and a brighter treble, slighty V sounding. The K553 has a excelent separation, tight bass, foward mids, and very pronounced proeminent treble ith a massive attack. It took me a lot to choose, but I choose HP150 because even energetic is much more relaxed than the K553, K553 treble and medium treble caused me a lot of fatigue.

I was with you except for the HP150's "slightly" recessed mids.  They're very recessed to me.  Even the graph on the box shows them that way. Plenty of separation of notes due to the thinness.

K553 is as you said.  More forward and in your face sound than HP150, though they're still neutralish, not warm and thick.  People might consider it thin.  K553 has that 2k "bright" "glare" area like some other AKGs do.  It helps make it in your face and be energetic, but it can get annoying and sibilant.   

May 4, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #1,345 of 1,386
I was with you except for the HP150's "slightly" recessed mids.  They're very recessed to me.  Even the graph on the box shows them that way. Plenty of separation of notes due to the thinness.

K553 is as you said.  More forward and in your face sound than HP150, though they're still neutralish, not warm and thick.  People might consider it thin.  K553 has that 2k "bright" "glare" area like some other AKGs do.  It helps make it in your face and be energetic, but it can get annoying and sibilant.   
This is probably a round about way of doing things, but if you could just figure out a way to reduce the the bass and treble, then the mids would become more present. I'm a noob here though, so I'm not sure if you could just do that or if things even work that way.

May 4, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #1,346 of 1,386
Hey guys. Sooooo my HP100 went rippy dippy. The damn arm holding the cup broke. So I decided to break out the soldering iron and transplant the HP100 driver into my Beyer COPP's housing. Using some Brainwavz velour on them and I am VERY happy with the results. They are pretty neutral now with the bass port closed but kick really hard with the ports open without sounding boomy. The awesome attack is still very much present and the treble is still quite nice and sparkly and the mids seem less recessed now too. Very simple to do and i have my HP100 back, but dare I say improved? 

May 4, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #1,347 of 1,386
  Hey guys. Sooooo my HP100 went rippy dippy. The damn arm holding the cup broke. So I decided to break out the soldering iron and transplant the HP100 driver into my Beyer COPP's housing. Using some Brainwavz velour on them and I am VERY happy with the results. They are pretty neutral now with the bass port closed but kick really hard with the ports open without sounding boomy. The awesome attack is still very much present and the treble is still quite nice and sparkly and the mids seem less recessed now too. Very simple to do and i have my HP100 back, but dare I say improved? 

Very cool project. HP150 guy here. I am also curious whether the arm just broke out of nowhere, or if it had been injured in some way prior to breaking. Thanks.

May 10, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #1,349 of 1,386
I inquired Mark from SoundMagic about HP300:

Here's the reply:

Hi Ivan,
As far as I'm aware, the HP300 has never been released anywhere in the world. There will be some new full-size models in the next 12 months, so please keep looking at Head-Fi for more news.
Best regards,
Mark

:) Looking forward to new stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back