SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
Feb 6, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #1,322 of 1,386
Ive seen a listing for it on a Chinese site. I dont get why we cant buy it in more areas.

Feb 6, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #1,324 of 1,386
What was the price?

They don't list it. You have to contact them for purchase. They ask for company information so i assume they only sell to resellers. Regardless, I inquired about a purchase.

http://soundmagic.appliances-china.com/Product_Look.php?ProID

Feb 6, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #1,328 of 1,386
A fine idea, but would take some time to organize - let's open a thread?

I'll wait until I hear back from the email I sent. Maybe we could try contacting them on facebook about the group buy and see how many they would need for it to happen.

Feb 10, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #1,330 of 1,386
This perfect bright neutral headphone is ruined by having a mediocre seal and terrible build quality on the cup holders. Mine just broke this way and am hoping I'll receive a replacement as I still have warranty. What idiot designer thought the cheap plastic on the cup holders was a splendid idea? The rest of the headphone is build robust, but this massive weak spot is unacceptable for this level of headphone. Soundmagic should revise this can pronto!!

Feb 11, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #1,331 of 1,386

I have, although it's been a while since I've had the DT 770s (owned them twice).  IIRC, the DT 770s, in comparison with the HP 150s, have a bloomy, somewhat unfocused bass, an inferior soundstage, and poorer clarity.  The HP150s are far superior, IMO.  I'd go straight to the HP150s and skip the HP100s, even though they're comparable.

I agree with your assessments, but as much as I love the HP150's, the DT770's (32) have far better imaging capabilities and have less sibilant/harsh high(when using the pleather pads)

Mar 13, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #1,333 of 1,386
  Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but isn't the frequency response on the back of the box a little misleading? The headphones are far from neutral, with 10db spikes all over the place in the highs. They stretched the DBspl to make it look neutral, am I wrong?

I don't think anyone has ever claimed they are neutral, so I don't understand your question.

Mar 13, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #1,334 of 1,386
The HP150s get recommended as a neutral headphone here on head-fi. That's how I found them: I started a thread about what I wanted and got several recommendations for them.

I agree that they aren't exactly neutral. They are rather bright, but not obnoxiously so.

As for the frequency response curve that's printed on the box... well yeah, it seems to have very little resemblance to how they actually sound or measure. Marketing.

I found some EQ applied in the highs and the lows made a pretty huge difference for me with the HP150s I posted my exact EQ settings way back in this thread. I could dig it up if anyone was interested in trying them.

Brian.

Mar 13, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #1,335 of 1,386
The HP150s get recommended as a neutral headphone here on head-fi. That's how I found them: I started a thread about what I wanted and got several recommendations for them.

I agree that they aren't exactly neutral. They are rather bright, but not obnoxiously so.

As for the frequency response curve that's printed on the box... well yeah, it seems to have very little resemblance to how they actually sound or measure. Marketing.

I found some EQ applied in the highs and the lows made a pretty huge difference for me with the HP150s I posted my exact EQ settings way back in this thread. I could dig it up if anyone was interested in trying them.

Brian.

I'd be interested in your EQ settings but I love the HP150 for their attacking nature. I use them when waking up to become motivated and during excercise. It's just that, these sound very far from neutral (but are a balanced headphone non the less).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back